Reload this Page >

Anyone in Chilliwack?

Anyone in Chilliwack?

Old Dec 15th 2011, 3:45 am
Just Joined

Molly Pitcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone in Chilliwack?

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I"m looking at the same map and Van is in yellow, which is low risk?
Geography was never my strong point. When I look at a map without any place names, I have problem orientating myself as to where everything is located. Where is Van on that map.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

Anybody see Maclean's list of most dangerous cities in Canada released today? Chilliwack scored 9th place on a list of 100. Is anyone surprised by this? I would be interested in your thoughts. Five of the top ten places are in BC. Here's the link:

http://www2.macleans.ca/canadas-most...-the-rankings/
Old Dec 15th 2011, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by minimeeze
My only advice would be to avoid downtown Chilliwack as that's where the majority of crime is.
What streets in the downtown area are best to avoid? If you don't want to list them here, please message them to me privately.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 9:16 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Pitcher
What streets in the downtown area are best to avoid? If you don't want to list them here, please message them to me privately.
5 corners along Yale East & Young for about a mile in all directions, but in the years we have lived in Chilliwack area never had a problem. Some of the hillside communities have subsided in recent years and Greendale flooded a couple of years back. In 1948 pretty much the whole area flooded.

Last edited by Aviator; Dec 15th 2011 at 9:18 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 9:50 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Anybody see Maclean's list of most dangerous cities in Canada released today? Chilliwack scored 9th place on a list of 100. Is anyone surprised by this? I would be interested in your thoughts. Five of the top ten places are in BC. Here's the link:

http://www2.macleans.ca/canadas-most...-the-rankings/
Surprised? Not really, but it wouldn't put me off living there (or anywhere else for that matter).
Old Dec 15th 2011, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, Chilliwack was once home to a 10,000 acre lake known as Sumas Lake. It was drained to provide farmland about 85-90 years ago. This partially explains why there's constant flooding - not only due to the floodplain, but that naturally, the land currently occupied by Chilliwack was once a drainage basin!

http://bcheritage.ca/chilliwack/hist...land/drain.htm
Old Dec 15th 2011, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Surprised? Not really, but it wouldn't put me off living there (or anywhere else for that matter).
What puzzles me it why it was so high on the list. It's not high on the typically violent crimes. Here is Chilliwack's ranking by crime:

Homicide:

45/100 -28.10 % under the National rate

Sexual assault

49/100 -6.83 % under

Motor Vehicle Theft

12/100 +100.65 % over

Robbery

16/100 +29.04 % over

Breaking and Entry

1/100 +104.28 % over

This page allows you to see all of the cities ranking by each crime.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/10/14/n...rankings-2010/
Old Dec 16th 2011, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

I was told that Chilliwack is the first main transit stop for people travelling in from the Kamloops / Kelowna areas, and that many people will catch the bus into Chilliwack for the sole reason of comitting crime. Not sure how true this is
There are large populations of First Nations and people in need around here. Maybe that has something to do with the crime rates? I certainly pass some rather questionable looking people in the streets, and have seen drug deals done on a regular basis in the downtown core. As Aviator says, avoid anywhere near five corners (look on a map of Chilliwack - five corners are where Wellington Ave, Yale Rd E&W, Young Rd and Princess Ave converge).
Old Dec 16th 2011, 12:11 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

What puzzles me it why it was so high on the list. It's not high on the typically violent crimes. Here is Chilliwack's ranking by crime:

Homicide:

45/100 -28.10 % under the National rate

Sexual assault

49/100 -6.83 % under

Motor Vehicle Theft

12/100 +100.65 % over

Robbery

16/100 +29.04 % over

Breaking and Entry

1/100 +104.28 % over

This page allows you to see all of the cities ranking by each crime.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/10/14/n...rankings-2010/
A lot of car thefts are older vehicles, less security, B & E & Robbery are largely drug related, as is much of the crime in town. Large underground horticultural industry in Chilliwack. Maybe Hydro smart meters will change that!
Old Dec 27th 2011, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

I've been browsing the list of townhomes for sale under 300 K in Sardis. Of the 145 for sale, roughly half (70) are end units. I find this surprising as they are the ones that usually sell first. Do they cost more (doesn't seem to be the case), or do they cost more to heat or is there some other reason I'm unaware of? Any insight or theories why this is so?
Old Dec 29th 2011, 2:52 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

I've been browsing the list of townhomes for sale under 300 K in Sardis. Of the 145 for sale, roughly half (70) are end units. I find this surprising as they are the ones that usually sell first. Do they cost more (doesn't seem to be the case), or do they cost more to heat or is there some other reason I'm unaware of? Any insight or theories why this is so?
Just the desire to have no one attached and sometimes a bit of extra land the side of the home. They are usually a bit more.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Boy d but it still doesn't answer my question as to why so many end units are available. Out of the 145 total townhouses for sale, I would expect around 20 to be end units and the rest being in the middle but this is not the case and I am curious why this is so.