Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Anyone in Canada in 1979-1982 time frame?

Anyone in Canada in 1979-1982 time frame?

Old May 13th 2015, 6:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone in Canada in 1979-1982 time frame?

Originally Posted by Dorothy
My first job in 1977 was at The Beehive Restaurant at the top of Clappison Cut. I washed dishes (by hand!) and made $1.25/hour. It was filthy, hot and full of cockroaches. But it did give me money for rollerskating and to buy the Carhart overalls my dad refused to pay for.

My first apartment was in 1979 and I paid $100/month in the centre of Hamilton on Bold Street. It too was full of cockroaches, but they were playmates for my cat.
My mom's first apartment is still there in the San Diego region, back in 1977 she paid 135 per month she said, today they go for 1,560 per month.

135 in 1978 = approx 500 today.

My first job was at 16 in 1996 and at the San Diego Zoo. I was paid 5.65 per hour in the gift shops (min wage was 4.25 I thin, maybe 4.75, can't remember) in summer I worked full-time and accrued vacation time which got me through the winter lean months when there were very few hours available.

It was a union job, but got me benefits most teens don't have....

Looking back, should have stayed there and built a career.
Old May 13th 2015, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Our first apartment in Texas in 1967 was a furnished 1 bedroom and had a window air conditioner, on the second floor of a 2 storey walk up with the stairway from outside shared by 2 apartments. It cost us $100 a month ...... several of our friends were paying around $85-95 for newer 1 bedroom apartments in a complex with a swimming pool, and thought we were crazy .......... but they didn't have air conditioning!

Our first apartment in Vancouver in 1968 was in a concrete 8 storey building near Broadway and Granville, we paid $137 a month on a 1 year lease for an unfurnished 1 bedroom on the 6th floor, looking south. No air conditioning of course, but it did have a very small swimming pool!

We moved to another 1 bedroom apartment in the same building in 1969 .......... 1 floor up, and with a view north to English Bay and the mountains. That cost us $167 a month, again with a 1 year contract.

We stayed there for 3 years, then bought a house ........ and our mortgage payment was about $150 a month.

The apartment building is still there ......... the last time I saw a rental amount for it was about 10 years ago, and it was over $1200 on a lower floor. I don't know whether it is still a rental building or been converted to a condo
Old May 13th 2015, 8:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Our first apartment in Texas in 1967 was a furnished 1 bedroom and had a window air conditioner, on the second floor of a 2 storey walk up with the stairway from outside shared by 2 apartments. It cost us $100 a month ...... several of our friends were paying around $85-95 for newer 1 bedroom apartments in a complex with a swimming pool, and thought we were crazy .......... but they didn't have air conditioning!

Our first apartment in Vancouver in 1968 was in a concrete 8 storey building near Broadway and Granville, we paid $137 a month on a 1 year lease for an unfurnished 1 bedroom on the 6th floor, looking south. No air conditioning of course, but it did have a very small swimming pool!

We moved to another 1 bedroom apartment in the same building in 1969 .......... 1 floor up, and with a view north to English Bay and the mountains. That cost us $167 a month, again with a 1 year contract.

We stayed there for 3 years, then bought a house ........ and our mortgage payment was about $150 a month.

The apartment building is still there ......... the last time I saw a rental amount for it was about 10 years ago, and it was over $1200 on a lower floor. I don't know whether it is still a rental building or been converted to a condo
It's crazy how much housing has gone up over the years.

I wonder what average income to housing cost was back then?

Its not uncommon now have 50-60%+ going just to housing for people, wonder how common that was in the past?

I don't think I was cut out to be born into the modern technology filled world....lol
Old May 13th 2015, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

OH's salary was $10,000 a year when we arrived here ............... and we thought we were so rich!

I didn't work until the following May, so had almost 9 months "lazing around" and volunteering........ my gross was $400 a month. I forget what the take home was ......

... that $400 has stuck in my mind all these years because my pay as a teacher in the UK was $100 a month in 1967. So I was basically making about 4 times what I had earned teaching in a Grammar School in the UK

The exchange rate at that time for the Canadian $ vs UK £ was about 2½ times. The US $ was 4x the £