Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Anyone been scammed by their removal company?

Anyone been scammed by their removal company?

Old Jul 5th 2007, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone been scammed by their removal company?

Originally Posted by skiboy10
Didn't you have a full container? I would have thought they would have brought the container to your house. Or have I got it wrong?

Surely one of the benefits of a full container is that the contents aren't off-loaded.
We had sole use of a container, but that happened with us too.

Our goods were loaded on a van, then pallet stored at the warehouse, loaded onto the sea container, then unloaded to a van again and delivered to us. I don't think that's uncommon.

If you need storage, it has to happen that way, and I guess a lot of removal companies don't have many lorries big enough for containers so it often gets put into smaller ones for delivering.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 1:36 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

After our last move the gormless insurance company quite happily paid for repairs to stuff that had been <ahem> damaged during the move.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
We had sole use of a container, but that happened with us too.

Our goods were loaded on a van, then pallet stored at the warehouse, loaded onto the sea container, then unloaded to a van again and delivered to us. I don't think that's uncommon.

If you need storage, it has to happen that way, and I guess a lot of removal companies don't have many lorries big enough for containers so it often gets put into smaller ones for delivering.
We won't be having sole use of a container as we aren't shipping enough. My main regret about not having a "sole" container was because our stuff will be moved several times as part of a "shared load" therefore leaving more scope for damage or loss. Seems that isn't relevant as even if you have a "sole use" container your goods could still be moved.

I can understand this happening if you need storage but not if the container is being shipped immediately.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 2:10 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mkmurrays
Hi.

My point is not to rant, but to check if anyone else has been scammed like this?

Interested in all replies.
Moving companies, in Canada, are notorious and up until now I have always just moved with a few friends, a borrowed pickup and a BBQ at the end. This move, I'm hiring movers so I did a quick google for reviews/opinions/etc of various moving companies cos I wanted to know who to avoid, who were ok, etc and I found out there is a trade association of movers in Canada. http://www.mover.net/

Here is one of the only pages that I found sort of reviews of moving companies:
http://www.beatnikpad.com/archives/2...ompany_reviews

Good luck! (Well I guess that came too late...!)
Old Jul 5th 2007, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I've emailed to both our UK company, and the Canadian intermediary. Operations Director of UK company has emailed back to say he'll look into it personally, and Canadian firm contracted to do the job has phoned to say much the same. We'll see what happens next.

In terms of the detail, we had a 40 foot container from the UK - but only because they sent something that size, we didn't need it. Our stuff was off loaded and moved several times in Vancouver by the company.

Will let you know how it goes. My trump card, if I don't get this resolved satisfactorily, is to put the facts on the forum, and the local Okanagan forum. I worked in marketing for many years, and have experience of media relations and PR, so if they want their corporate reputation dragging through the mire, then I'm the woman to do it!
Don't want major compensation, just the extra cash I paid back, and the assurance that no one else will get the same treatment....
Old Jul 5th 2007, 10:41 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

We used Anglo Pacific

They were brilliant and I would recommend them to anyone moving from the UK.

Sole use 20ft door to door and not a single complaint

A wee pickie of our container leaving oor hoose in the UK

Eddie
Attached Thumbnails Anyone been scammed by their removal company?-dscf0028.jpg  
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I've emailed to both our UK company, and the Canadian intermediary. Operations Director of UK company has emailed back to say he'll look into it personally, and Canadian firm contracted to do the job has phoned to say much the same. We'll see what happens next.

In terms of the detail, we had a 40 foot container from the UK - but only because they sent something that size, we didn't need it. Our stuff was off loaded and moved several times in Vancouver by the company.

Will let you know how it goes. My trump card, if I don't get this resolved satisfactorily, is to put the facts on the forum, and the local Okanagan forum. I worked in marketing for many years, and have experience of media relations and PR, so if they want their corporate reputation dragging through the mire, then I'm the woman to do it!
Don't want major compensation, just the extra cash I paid back, and the assurance that no one else will get the same treatment....
Thanks for the update, and keep us informed of your progress.
Good luck with that, and wishing you all the best settling into your new home and new life.

Rob.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to behold
Cool Re: Anyone been scammed by their removal company?

We used a company last year to move from Florida back to the uk they were great lads and i fed and watered them etc as you do. When our shipment finaly turned up we were devestated.
First of all they wouldnt accept credit or debit for final payment and they were in New York.By the time a check reached them they charged me another 350 in storage time.
Then to top it off when we un loaded all the stuff, my hubbies surround sound was missing,the kids bikes werent there,the barbie was broken,the plate sets were all smashed and the was loads more.
They had changed the inventory list so my signature wasnt on it but i still havent been refunded or apologised to.
They are asking for weight of stuff etc but i dont have original inventory :curse: and they say the insurance was crap that we took and only covered us for 60 in every 100 and then there was the excess etc.
Still havent sorted it with them so stay away from them ECHO TRANS WORLD.
Had much better luck this time with Britannia. We got a container and loaded it ourselves then they un loaded this end for us,worked out much cheaper
Old Jul 11th 2007, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Hi.
Removal company bowled up on Sunday in the world's most enormous wagon.
Much scratching of heads as they couldn't get round the corner to our drive.....
They said, either give us $800 cash to take your stuff away and reload into a smaller wagon, or we don't know when we'll be back! Daylight robbery. We were stuck as we had an empty house and boy did they know it.
They came back 5.5 hours later with our stuff not even filling a truck less than half the size which they reversed straight up the drive.
We paid for a full unpacking service in advance...

We were left with around 30 boxes still not unpacked at 9pm that night. And $800 out of pocket.

I had told them that our drive was narrow, but as it was, that wasn't a problem, the issue was the street corner.....typical of a Kelowna road.....

Needless to say I am making an almightly stink about it with the company we have the contract with.....

My point is not to rant, but to check if anyone else has been scammed like this?

Interested in all replies.
Had any joy yet?
Old Jul 11th 2007, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
We've been offered $250 to settle. As we paid an extra $800 and we got such poor service - had 30 boxes left to unpack ourselves - we're holding out for more.
Not getting much help from the UK end - at all.
Will keep you posted.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 10:36 pm
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
We've been offered $250 to settle. As we paid an extra $800 and we got such poor service - had 30 boxes left to unpack ourselves - we're holding out for more.
Not getting much help from the UK end - at all.
Will keep you posted.
$250 are they having a laugh.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 12:16 am
Account Closed

BC Hopefuls is an unknown quantity at this point

We have used Whites Southampton depot. so far they have been great but we haven't taken delivery of our container yet.
Every company I spoke to insisted on shipping to Vancouver, we are in BC. we wanted it shipped to Montreal them by rail to Edmonton, then by road to our house. Only whites could see the sense in this. The sea journey via the Panama Canal is much longer than the rail journey across Canada.

We visited the depot after they had collected our stuff as we had to deliver a vehicle. they crated four motorbikes very well and seemed to be really carful with our stuff. we'll see how much of it arrives intact. We did however pack everything ourselves. I individually wrapped every plate, glass etc in tissue paper then bubble wrap. A bit excessive perhaps but I don't want any breakages. We have a 40' container and we have also insisted that the container is driven to our home and that our stuff is not taken out into a van for the final part of the journey. The less packing and un packing the less chance of damage.
Whites have managed to do all this for us. Lets hope it all arrives ok. should be any day now?????
Old Jul 12th 2007, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Good luck!
Our stuff went to Montreal and then was sent by rail across to Vancouver.
Hopefully we're the odd one with a problem!
Old Jul 12th 2007, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BC Hopefuls
We have used Whites Southampton depot. so far they have been great but we haven't taken delivery of our container yet.
Every company I spoke to insisted on shipping to Vancouver, we are in BC. we wanted it shipped to Montreal them by rail to Edmonton, then by road to our house. Only whites could see the sense in this. The sea journey via the Panama Canal is much longer than the rail journey across Canada.

We visited the depot after they had collected our stuff as we had to deliver a vehicle. they crated four motorbikes very well and seemed to be really carful with our stuff. we'll see how much of it arrives intact. We did however pack everything ourselves. I individually wrapped every plate, glass etc in tissue paper then bubble wrap. A bit excessive perhaps but I don't want any breakages. We have a 40' container and we have also insisted that the container is driven to our home and that our stuff is not taken out into a van for the final part of the journey. The less packing and un packing the less chance of damage.
Whites have managed to do all this for us. Lets hope it all arrives ok. should be any day now?????
We used Whites (Leeds). They were happy to take our money, but not so happy to do the job. They left items behind at our property and gave us false information regarding how to insure our goods....so we were unable to claim for items damaged or left behind. :curse:

I have previously posted photo's of how they packed our things .

I cannot advise strongly enough the need to have your own representative there while the packers are there. I only wish we could have.

The spineless Leeds manager hasn't even got the balls to talk to me direct, he will only communicate via email, what a man!!!! In my opinion they know we are in Canada......so what can we do from here....it really makes my blood boil. Sorry rant over!!!

Linda
Old Jul 12th 2007, 1:21 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I sent over 3 tea chest sized boxes via air mail 14 days before I left the UK so that when we arrived we had a few essentials waiting for us such as an airbed and a computer

Anyway, I arranged this with sevenseas worldwide and fixed a door to depot price of £297 which wasn't too bad I thought.

I got an email today from the Canadian handling company saying that they were ready to collect from Vancouver airport and that there is a handling charge of $125. There must be a mistake I said, I have paid in full for a door to depot service and I'm not paying anymore.
Oh no he said, we charge $125 and if you want your boxes you will have to pay us.
I called the UK and spoke to them several times and they obviously were not interested. This afternoon this email arrived from them

Thank you for your email.As per explained to you by our agent when you called on 10/7/07, the charges that you paid to us in the UK was until the depot (airport). There will be charges involved in regards to customs clearance and handling charges which is not included and will need to be paid to the local agent in Canada, which has been appointed to handle your items. Kind regards:Seven Seas

Bastards :curse:

Stay well away from them as there was no mention of this extra charge any where on the paperwork.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.