Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Any Milton Keynesites, aka folks from or who used to live in MK, in Ottawa area?

Any Milton Keynesites, aka folks from or who used to live in MK, in Ottawa area?

Old May 5th 2016, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

alexfon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any Milton Keynesites, aka folks from or who used to live in MK, in Ottawa area?

We lived in Milton Keynes for around 5 years when we lived in the UK. Currently live in Aylmer, QC. Five years on, my wife and I find that we often refer to MK, its quirks and idiosyncrasies whenever we analyze urban structure in Canada? A charming little town, MK left an impression more than we realized at the time. It was a planner's paradise, an experiment in urban experimentalism and utopian idealism. The redways, for one, heralded the birth of bikeable and walkable mobility, separated from the road network yet distinctly melding with its contours.

Anyway, we were wondering if anyone who hails from or used to live in that corner of the world would like to meet up from time to time to chat about memories of MK - old and new.
Old May 5th 2016, 3:38 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Milton Keynesites, aka folks from or who used to live in MK, in Ottawa area?

I was born and bred in MK and lived there for 20 years, before relocating to Northamptonshire but alas I am living in BC so a bit far from you.

What part of MK did you used to live in?

I miss the redways so much
Old May 5th 2016, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Milton Keynesites, aka folks from or who used to live in MK, in Ottawa area?

Lived in MK for years, we live in BC too so a bit far for a meet up !
Old May 5th 2016, 4:45 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I lived near MK.
Old May 5th 2016, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
I was born and bred in MK and lived there for 20 years, before relocating to Northamptonshire but alas I am living in BC so a bit far from you.

What part of MK did you used to live in?

I miss the redways so much
We lived in Bradwell Village and then Stony Stratford for a little bit before settling on Wavendon Gate. Lovely memories from these little communities. One of our delights was going to the market in Bletchley on Queensway to get fresh veggies and fruit on Saturdays. What part of MK did you used to live in?
Old May 5th 2016, 6:04 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I never think of those old towns as part of MK, I remember the area pre new town, pre shopping centre.

i usually meet up with friends at the shopping centre when I go back to Blighty.
Old May 5th 2016, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bats
I never think of those old towns as part of MK, I remember the area pre new town, pre shopping centre.

i usually meet up with friends at the shopping centre when I go back to Blighty.
That was a common feeling amongst those who knew place like Stony, Wolverton, Woburn Sands, etc before the creation of MK. But in all the mix of the old and the new seems to work well and generally gives character to the town.
Old May 5th 2016, 7:14 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alexfon
We lived in Bradwell Village and then Stony Stratford for a little bit before settling on Wavendon Gate. Lovely memories from these little communities. One of our delights was going to the market in Bletchley on Queensway to get fresh veggies and fruit on Saturdays. What part of MK did you used to live in?

I used to live in Bletchley near Windmill Mill golf course. I remember Queensway and the old leisure centre (learnt to swim there).

During my teenage years, I used to hang out at the tree in MK shopping centre and recently ive heard they have chopped the old oak tree down. Many of my old friends on FB are not happy
Old May 5th 2016, 10:53 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by alexfon
That was a common feeling amongst those who knew place like Stony, Wolverton, Woburn Sands, etc before the creation of MK. But in all the mix of the old and the new seems to work well and generally gives character to the town.
Woburn Sands can't be considered MK surely? Nor Stonry Stratford. I'm definitely one of the old lot. They may have and MK postcode but they aren't physically part of the town and nor do they feel it, the whole character and ethos of MK to me is newness, modern architecture.