Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Another US school shooting

Another US school shooting

Old Dec 16th 2012, 8:51 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another US school shooting

In the wake of another horrific national tragedy, it’s easy to talk about guns. But it’s time to talk about mental illness.

A parent's view

The school shooter autism alledgedly caused him to kill.

People with asperger's less likely to break the law

I have a daughter with autism, and I have no doubt that she's the least likely to become violent to anyone. Her younger sister, who isn't autistic but prone to rage, I can't say the same for. She's a slightly easier version to deal with of the child in the first article, while the Asperger's definition is pretty nailed on (we're just waiting for her test to determine exactly where in the autistic spectrum she actually is).

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Dec 16th 2012 at 8:55 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2012, 9:49 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Indiana man found with 50+ guns and a plan to shoot up another school.
Old Dec 16th 2012, 10:22 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
The point I was making (and no I'm not taking the piss - whatever you might want to think) is that Dawkins ACTS like a fundamentalist Christian and gives atheists a bad name. He should simply fall back on the fact that the burden on proof lies with those that believe in God. But he doesn't. Like some kind of modern day Savonarola he goes around like a rabid preacher from a pulpit trying to prove otherwise. He puts ads on buses that are blatantly stupid ("There probably is no God, so stop worrying and get on with life" Probably?? I thought he was more firm than that!? That message was lost ...) and even goes into Primary schools giving young kids a blast too. Personally, I thought Hitchens was altogether more classy.

I quite understand that science and religion have different belief systems, that's not what I was saying. But yes, you're right that 'belief' totally means different things to theists and atheists. I agree with you.

Anyway, I guess this thread was never about Dawkins so I apologize for taking us down there!
He doesn't act like a fundamentalist christian at all. But I accept that you disagree. Fwiw Dawkins donated to the bus adverts, but they were not his idea. He didn't write that slogan, so he shouldn't be the one to own your criticism of it.

(and after 10 pages I don't think it matters; this is just a redo of the batman thread anyway)

Last edited by Alan2005; Dec 16th 2012 at 10:29 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2012, 10:25 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought Piers Morgan handled the issue extremely well on CNN yesterday.
Less guns, not more guns, is the only way to stop something like this from happening again.

If you've ever tried to shoot a handgun, you'll know they're absolutely no use in a self defence situation (except perhaps as a visual deterrent) unless you are extremely skilled in doing so.
Old Dec 16th 2012, 10:30 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Indiana man found with 50+ guns and a plan to shoot up another school.
Your link doesn't work

Try this one
Old Dec 16th 2012, 10:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jericho
I thought Piers Morgan handled the issue extremely well on CNN yesterday.
Less guns, not more guns, is the only way to stop something like this from happening again.

If you've ever tried to shoot a handgun, you'll know they're absolutely no use in a self defence situation (except perhaps as a visual deterrent) unless you are extremely skilled in doing so.
The best deterrent I've found are a large well-trained Alsatian and a shotgun wielded by someone familiar with it's handling and limitations. If the intruder gets past one, the other's gonna finish the job!
Old Dec 17th 2012, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
One of the worst places for random shootings seems to be Australia (worse than the US for its population), a macho society where people dont tend to discuss their feelings perhaps?
Strange take on it. The Australian spin on this story is how we have had no massacres since the handgun ban after the Port Arthur massacre 17 years ago....as your wiki link bears out. I wouldn't expect Australia to be more macho than Canada? Similar urbanised society.

The chart with homicide gun deaths per 100,000 someone posted puts Australia well below Canada and below the UK?

There has been talk about how the Australian experiment with banning handguns shows the direct correlation between banning guns and reducing gun homicides should anyone want evidence.

Last edited by fish.01; Dec 17th 2012 at 11:52 am.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 12:45 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

They can't get Mexico on there until the forum gets a web upgrade.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 12:50 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Strange take on it. The Australian spin on this story is how we have had no massacres since the handgun ban after the Port Arthur massacre 17 years ago....as your wiki link bears out. I wouldn't expect Australia to be more macho than Canada? Similar urbanised society.

The chart with homicide gun deaths per 100,000 someone posted puts Australia well below Canada and below the UK?

There has been talk about how the Australian experiment with banning handguns shows the direct correlation between banning guns and reducing gun homicides should anyone want evidence.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...D-UN-data3.jpg
I was not really referring to "ordinary" homicide as shown in the stats, more the kind of outrage where someone goes postal and takes out a lot of random strangers.

But its interesting what you say about gun control in the wake of Port Arthur, didnt know about that.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Very sad situation - the answer to this problem is one that the average american will never agree to and that of course is to remove the right to bear arms.

Americans in general will never accept this change and it's easy for us to criticize them for this philosophy as most of us being British has never had that right - put yourself in a position where most of us were brought up with the majority owning a gun and then the government tried to remove it, this would never go down well.

I can understand their mentality without necessarily agreeing with it.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 3:46 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ArthurBrit
Very sad situation - the answer to this problem is one that the average american will never agree to and that of course is to remove the right to bear arms.

Americans in general will never accept this change and it's easy for us to criticize them for this philosophy as most of us being British has never had that right - put yourself in a position where most of us were brought up with the majority owning a gun and then the government tried to remove it, this would never go down well.

I can understand their mentality without necessarily agreeing with it.
Removing the right to own automatic weapons would be a start. Limit the magazine size to 5 rounds for hand guns.

But we all know that banning or limiting access to weapons is only part of the answer.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Removing the right to own automatic weapons would be a start. Limit the magazine size to 5 rounds for hand guns.

But we all know that banning or limiting access to weapons is only part of the answer.
True.

This subject has been going on for years now, one of the most novel ideas I heard was bullet control whereby the bullets are priced astronomically high to discourage the user wasting ammunition and ultimately make it harder to go on a mass shooting spree.

There was also talk of selling bullets on the cheap through a hunting licence which would then log the amount of bullets bought and the hunter would return his empties/unused bullets or face a fine.

But like I said they have been talking for a long time but unfortunately the reality is nothing will change until the culture has been removed, that's the true question is how do you change a countries culture.

It's like trying to ban the consumption of tea in the UK - never going to happen.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

70% of all gun related crimes in Canada are committed using illegally imported guns from the US. Manufacturing and distribution has got to come down dramatically which will take a new economic perspective.

A new thinking is needed much in the same way as smoking / the tobacco industries 20 years ago. Gun manufacturing is big business in the States with big lobby groups attached, and the same used to be true of these tobacco industries. Although not directly comparable, folks at a senior political level in the US should reflect back on what happened with the tobacco industries, I reckon. Surely, there's something to be learned there (without tackling the constitution)?
Old Dec 17th 2012, 6:22 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Its simple but lengthy and expensive in human lives just like the tobacco issue
it will require the American public to lose sufficient innocents, enough that the NRA and its ilk will struggle to win their arguments that more guns protect lives and less likely to be successful in their lobbying at the capitol building, at the same time as this is happens the senators may get brave enough to go hunting for the information that might prove that the gun manufacturers and lobby groups knowingly mislead the public in order to sell more guns , then the laws will change and then the class action suits will follow..
I think we’re close as recently the NRA has been quiet when these sort of issues have happened, disappearing from twitter and shutting down face book pages, pro gun senators instead of making cases for more guns to combat these rogue elements are now not being available for interviews.
America can change, up for debate is how fast and how many children need to die before people are ready to give up their guns…
When the majority realize that the price to keep their 2nd amendment unfettered will also be paid with the lives of children as well as with adults then change will start
Old Dec 17th 2012, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Its simple but lengthy and expensive in human lives just like the tobacco issue
it will require the American public to lose sufficient innocents, enough that the NRA and its ilk will struggle to win their arguments that more guns protect lives and less likely to be successful in their lobbying at the capitol building, at the same time as this is happens the senators may get brave enough to go hunting for the information that might prove that the gun manufacturers and lobby groups knowingly mislead the public in order to sell more guns , then the laws will change and then the class action suits will follow..
I think we’re close as recently the NRA has been quiet when these sort of issues have happened, disappearing from twitter and shutting down face book pages, pro gun senators instead of making cases for more guns to combat these rogue elements are now not being available for interviews.
America can change, up for debate is how fast and how many children need to die before people are ready to give up their guns…
When the majority realize that the price to keep their 2nd amendment unfettered will also be paid with the lives of children as well as with adults then change will start
I would hazard a guess that its not the majority of Americans with guns that we need to worry about but the minority!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.