Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Another human rights issue

Another human rights issue

Old Mar 27th 2017, 6:28 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another human rights issue

Originally Posted by Aviator

I suffer with a digestive condition, but seem to managed for several decades without the necessity of taking a dump in the street.
Well good for you, congratulations and all that!

Not everyone is as amazing and can manage their illnesses like you!
Old Mar 27th 2017, 6:32 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk

Years ago in the UK there were many in the UK at least, many with a small fee of 5 or 10p to use.
I had to use one of those 'pay upfront' toilets at Victoria Station in London about 10 years ago.

It was disgusting - all manner of bodily fluids across the toilet pans and seats, UV lighting to stop people shooting up in there, graffiti everywhere and most of the toilet doors had their locks broken.

I will hold it in now without going into these places because despite the fact I've paid to use it, they don't seem to keep it clean!
Old Mar 27th 2017, 7:06 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Does every coffee shop, cafe, etc in the UK have a washroom for the use of customers?

If so, what is their policy towards non-customers wanting to use said bathroom?

I don't know what the situation in Australia is now, but I know cafes and tea shops at one point did not have to have a washroom for their customers .............. that could be very interesting with a toddler! Try changing the diaper on a park bench 'cos there was literally nowhere else.

They didn't have to .......... and that was a great surprise coming from Canada where every place that served drink and food had to have a washroom for the CUSTOMERS. I know they were not always easily accessible, even for able-bodied people ............

"Go through that door, down the corridor, turn left, go down the stairs to the half landing, turn right, and you'll see it. Oh, here's the key."

That was almost literally still the case at Murchie's on Government Street in Victoria 5 years ago, but was very common in the 70s!
lots of coffee shops i the UK have washrooms but to use them you need a code and the only way to get this is to buy something then the code appears on the receipt...seems a pretty good way doing it.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 7:28 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Good for you, if you were disabled and had mobility issues you might not have been so lucky. I took a look for Ontario handicapped advocacy and didn't see much that appeared relevant so applying to the Human Rights Commission is probably the only channel available for her to try outside of litigation, which isn't her objective. I thought there might be some sort of special ombudsman for the disabled but maybe the HRC is best. The one Saskatchewan HRC investigation I gave a statement in left me impressed with their methods, and the complainant won. Maybe the result here will be nothing, maybe a recommendation for more public toilets, maybe she won't be approved for an inquiry at all. If the other patrons in the coffee shop had been polite enough to let her cut in the line in the first place none of it would have happened.
But she used the wash room, then complained anyhoo. Plus the person who she talked to was thinking about her safety as the WR was down several steps.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 7:37 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
But she used the wash room, then complained anyhoo. Plus the person who she talked to was thinking about her safety as the WR was down several steps.
Correct, as noted in post #25.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 9:01 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Way back when I was young in the UK finding a public toilet was rarely an issue.
Those Victorians and Edwardians recognised the need and built, as only they could, magnificent edifices and many still survive.
What they did was recognise a social need and spent money to satisfy it.
Today, we hear the excuse.. 'public toilets cost money, taxpayers money, so it can't be justified. This is the accountant talking, failing to recognise that taxpayers are the ones in need.
But why satisfy the social need when private businesses will do this for you? All we need to do is institute a bylaw that forces businesses like restaurants to provide them instead.
It's disgraceful when local authorities abrogate responsibility like this. It's why we pay local taxes, not to provide deep pile carpets, plush limousines and excessive expenses for local politicians.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 10:35 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Well good for you, congratulations and all that!

Not everyone is as amazing and can manage their illnesses like you!
As one does not see many piles of people poop in the streets, likelihood is many seem to manage quite well.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 10:37 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I will hold it in now without going into these places because despite the fact I've paid to use it, they don't seem to keep it clean!
What about those poor folks you mentioned could not hold it in, is it not their basic human right to not have to pay-to-poop or get covered in someones sloppy seconds?
Old Mar 27th 2017, 11:07 pm
Bex in the city

As one does not see many piles of people poop in the streets, likelihood is many seem to manage quite well.
How would you know how these people cope. They may have to wear incontinence pads or something.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 11:08 pm
Bex in the city

What about those poor folks you mentioned could not hold it in, is it not their basic human right to not have to pay-to-poop or get covered in someones sloppy seconds?
Yet again arguing with me. Is this your highlight of the day? You must have such a boring life lol

Last edited by beckiwoo; Mar 27th 2017 at 11:11 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 11:19 pm

Yet again arguing with me. Is this your highlight of the day? You must have such a boring life lol
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Old Mar 27th 2017, 11:21 pm

How would you know how these people cope. They may have to wear incontinence pads or something.
So they are managing and don't need to partake of the 'basic human right' of using someone else's dunny.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 11:23 pm
Bex in the city

So they are managing and don't need to partake of the 'basic human right' of using someone else's dunny.
I don't call that managing but then again you always make sure you tell everyone on here that you know everything better then anyone else. Another old timer!
Old Mar 27th 2017, 11:31 pm
Bex in the city

I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Good to know you are considering as an option then
Old Mar 27th 2017, 11:36 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I can't be arsed, haha, to reread the previous posts but seriously? Denying someone the right/ opportunity to poop? What is your problem, it really isn't something that can be controlled or scheduled. On one occasion I did knock on someone's Dior ans ask to use their loo. They looked a bit worried but I left my handbag with them as some sign of faith.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.