Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Another human rights issue

Another human rights issue

Old Mar 26th 2017, 8:33 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another human rights issue

Toronto woman launches rights complaint over washroom access - Toronto - CBC News

A Toronto woman has launched a human rights complaint against a bar that allegedly refused to allow her to use its washroom on the grounds that she might sue the facility if she injured herself.

Lengthy lineups for the washroom at a nearby coffee shop prompted her to move down the block to Pentagram, where she asked the waitress permission to use the facilities as she was not a paying customer, she said.

Even though bar staff eventually relented and she used the washroom, Butler-Henderson said the incident infringed upon a basic human right that she feels the need to fight for.

I think if I had a small business, maybe I would remove the wash room
Old Mar 26th 2017, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another human rights issue

I find there is nothing more annoying than the number of people who think they can walk into a coffee shop, use the washroom, and leave without buying anything or even leaving a tip.

I think they should at least buy a coffee to go!

Chapters Indigo removed all washrooms from their downtown store about 6 or so years ago because of the number of walk-in non-customers AND the drug paraphernalia and other detritus left behind that staff had to continually clean up.

An annoyance to their customers, who had to go across the street to the mall.

That store has since closed down as the lease came to an end, but they have opened a smaller store on Granville Mall. I haven't been in there so I don't know what they've done about washrooms.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 9:56 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

She was able to use the wash room after she eventually explained that she could use the steps ok with her crutches. But hey, let's take this to court anyhow as that's what everyone else is doing !!!
Old Mar 26th 2017, 10:16 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Life is hard in the First World.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 10:28 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting..
You have to applaud the staff recognising an individual with a panchant for sueing given the subsequent event, but were they correct?
We have an establishment serving the public and who have installed a washroom at their own cost for the conevience of their customers. It was presumably not installed to service the wider public and locating it in the basement suggests that this is the case. On the face of it you could argue that since the woamn wasn't a customer she had no right to use it, but do you have to buy anything to be a customer?
Websters defines a customer as: a person or business that purchases a commodity or service.
I would argue that the staff were wrong to refuse use for the reason stated. They should have refused on the grounds that she was not a customer. The woman would then have had the choice to purchase an item in return for use. Refusal to use on the grounds that she might injure herself admits that the washroom is unsafe for use since some customers may use walking aids and should they injure themselves they can point to the staff who in this instance state that it may be unsafe and sue accordingly.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 10:39 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
I find there is nothing more annoying than the number of people who think they can walk into a coffee shop, use the washroom, and leave without buying anything or even leaving a tip.

I think they should at least buy a coffee to go!
It's a basic human right to use the bathroom. There are people with medical conditions like IBS and bladder conditions that need access to a bathroom and don't always know when it comes on.

What do you want them to do: s*it themselves in public!
Old Mar 26th 2017, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
It's a basic human right to use the bathroom.
So if someone bangs on my door saying they need a shit, I'm supposed to let them into the house or get sued?

As others have said, the end result of this kind of nonsense is more and more stores removing the bathrooms. Thanks for that, human rights lawyers.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 10:58 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
So if someone bangs on my door saying they need a shit, I'm supposed to let them into the house or get sued?

As others have said, the end result of this kind of nonsense is more and more stores removing the bathrooms. Thanks for that, human rights lawyers.
Well obviously, I'm talking about retailers and public areas, not your house!

Either that or people will be doing their business on the streets increasing diseases and infections.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Well obviously, I'm talking about retailers and public areas, not your house!
If it's a 'basic human right', how can it only apply to business?
Old Mar 26th 2017, 11:07 pm
Bex in the city

Because I'm talking about retailers allowing people to use the bathrooms for people to use because of MEDICAL ISSUES (not to use drugs, not to have sex etc.).

It's a basic human right in regards to basic human needs such as water, air etc.

I'm not talking about you opening up your bathroom for the public to use. I don't expect to rock up to someone's house to use their bathroom.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 11:16 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Are you really suggesting that you've never heard about laws applying to businesses but not private people in private residences?
Old Mar 26th 2017, 11:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Because I'm talking about retailers allowing people to use the bathrooms for people to use because of MEDICAL ISSUES (not to use drugs, not to have sex etc.).

It's a basic human right in regards to basic human needs such as water, air etc.

I'm not talking about you opening up your bathroom for the public to use. I don't expect to rock up to someone's house to use their bathroom.
I'm not supportive of people who hyphenate their names (as used in common speech), it's a ridiculous affectation, and so I'm predisposed to think this woman difficult. Nonetheless, her claim seems to me to be nonsensical, she's not a customer, the bar is not accessible to disabled people (a problem but a different one) and she has no particular right to piss there. She should wait in line at the place where she consumed the fluids she now wants to discharge.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 11:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

It's a basic human right to use the bathroom. There are people with medical conditions like IBS and bladder conditions that need access to a bathroom and don't always know when it comes on.

What do you want them to do: s*it themselves in public!
As someone with IBS the lack of public washrooms is an issue, and seems to be harder and harder to find public washrooms that don't require buying something.

Hotels are a good option though if in downtown parts of city's. Nearly all have a washroom in the lobby open to the public.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 12:12 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Just as long as I'm never expected to use one of these

Old Mar 27th 2017, 12:16 am
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Just as long as I'm never expected to use one of these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsQai1yt-QQ

I saw something similar in Amsterdam...it's ok if your male (lucky)!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.