Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Android boxes - should they stay or should they go?

Android boxes - should they stay or should they go?

Old Mar 21st 2017, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Question Android boxes - should they stay or should they go?

There's been quite a bit recently about the legality of selling android boxes. To the point of an injunction having been put in place in Quebec stopping them from being sold.
I have always said that I would be quite happy to pay for a TV license / fees. But the prices set by Bell / Rogers and Shaw are so ridiculous to get anything of quality and I refuse to pay for all the crap that gets funded through my payments.
Why should we have to pay for very substandard content?

'Free TV' Android box dealers lose court appeal to lift sales ban - Business - CBC News

What are your thoughts?
Old Mar 21st 2017, 11:24 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Android boxes - should they stay or should they go?

They sound like fully loaded Kodi boxes, and access dodgy streams of movies / tv. Let's be blunt here, it's not legal access to the movies or tv streams, and so from that aspect, yeah, they haven't got a leg to stand on really. The same kind of thing is happening in the UK, be it a Kodi box or fully loaded Fire stick.

I suspect Ontario will be the next to get an injunction.

I do completely agree that the prices that Bell, Rogers, Shaw, and Cogeco set are far far too much, but unless the CRTC decides to get properly involved - the "skinny" package was a small start, they could do much, much more, but they don't, and one does wonder why.
It seems that I have to buy packs / bundles of channels, which seem to include channels I don't want. What needs to happen is to be able to have a proper system where I can pick exactly the channels I want. Now, I do understand that sometimes that isn't down to the cable company, for example, I believe if you want The Disney Channel, you also have to get some other related channels, as Disney won't allow the cable company to just provide the Disney channel.

I'm rather curious to see what Apple is up to, as they seem to be testing the waters with channel type things. Yes, you'd need to be locked into the Apple eco system, however, if Apple can get networks on board and allow the user to pick the networks they want to purchase, at a lower fee that cable would provide, it could shift things and perhaps then things may change.

For the past few years, I've used Netflix, and iTunes for movie purchases, and I've been pretty happy. I do still watch cable when I'm at my girlfriend's place, but that's the only time I do.

Last edited by sharkus; Mar 21st 2017 at 11:32 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 11:30 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Why should we have to pay for very substandard content?

What are your thoughts?
Well of course you don't have to pay anything. If you don't like the content, don't buy it.

Conversely, if you believe accessing content for free is reasonable, you can hardly complain about the quality of streams/hardware etc etc.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Well of course you don't have to pay anything. If you don't like the content, don't buy it.

Conversely, if you believe accessing content for free is reasonable, you can hardly complain about the quality of streams/hardware etc etc.
I have no choice but to pay for crappy content as part of the bundle I would chose to get good content. Have you not noticed that the satellite / cable companies sell you 200 channels and you watch about 6? That's because the rest of them are sh1te!!!!!

I don't want to access content for free, I would be more than happy to pay some kind of license to stream, but equally I am fed up with being sc**wed by the big corporations that force you to buy channels that are about as exciting as watching paint dry!!

Tell me, if you are being charged a service by your bank, for example, that you don't use, don't you dispute it with them and ask for it to be removed or you'll go elsewhere? Well Android boxes are the only "elsewhere" available (Yes I know, Apple and Netflix but they have limited content)
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 12:22 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

What are your thoughts?
I have one, I love it.

It's not so good for watching the latest movies still in the cinema (due to shitty quality) but for old movies and TV shows it is excellent.

Example, Broadchurch Season 3, episode 4 was aired in the UK at 8pm yesterday (2pm my time) and by the time I came I home from work and had dinner, I was watching it in HD.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 12:29 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
I have one, I love it.

It's not so good for watching the latest movies still in the cinema (due to shitty quality) but for old movies and TV shows it is excellent.

Example, Broadchurch Season 3, episode 4 was aired in the UK at 8pm yesterday (2pm my time) and by the time I came I home from work and had dinner, I was watching it in HD.
The reason them films are crappy is they are filmed with a camera and broadcast. Is best to just wait a few weeks for a better stream.

I watched Broadchurch Mon eve, no issues, great programme
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Watching Broadchurch right now so no spoilers!
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 1:15 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

The Butler Did it!

Actually, I couldn't agree more about the lack of value and choice of the service providers...however, if you have children, a reasonably busy life and a home to take care of, it's just too damned difficult (for me) to be messing around with the alternatives. Personally...ignoring the rest of my family...I wished I could just sometimes move back to the UK, merely for the television I miss the ease of Britain...
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Well on the android box you can choose by channel. So I often take a peak and the U.K. Channels.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 1:27 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I just got up to date tonight too.

Then I took a streetview trip around West Bay for old times' sake.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I just got up to date tonight too.

Then I took a streetview trip around West Bay for old times' sake.
Sshhh! I keep getting distracted by BEers!!!
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 12:14 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I love my android box to a degree but I also like having cable. We have just switched to Eastlink who are doing a deal for a year for $140 for phone, fast internet (faster than Bell is the claim but I will wait to see that) and cable. They have an arrangement where you can switch out channels you dont care for for channels you want.
They are installing it at the weekend so we will see if its as good as it claims to be....
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 2:19 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
We have just switched to Eastlink who are doing a deal for a year for $140 for phone, fast internet (faster than Bell is the claim but I will wait to see that) and cable....
I was just looking at that the other day.
I saw an internet speed of 100/10 mentioned but my BellAliant is 100/50 in the 'good' package with a better/best rate that's faster again.

I think the current BellAlaint promo deal is about $110 for three years and $168 at the end of that. Rogers seems $168 for the comparable deal too. Remarkable coincidence.

What does the $140 go to after the year?
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 3:58 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I was just looking at that the other day.
I saw an internet speed of 100/10 mentioned but my BellAliant is 100/50 in the 'good' package with a better/best rate that's faster again.

I think the current BellAlaint promo deal is about $110 for three years and $168 at the end of that. Rogers seems $168 for the comparable deal too. Remarkable coincidence.

What does the $140 go to after the year?
Our deal with everything with Bell was $220 so way to expensive for my taste. To get it down to $180 we lost a lot of our choice channels.
Not sure on Eastlink but I will worry about that then...
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Geo-restrictions on content belong in the 20th Century

I would happily pay a few bucks a month to watch channels that I actually want but aren't available because of where in the world you are

I use my firestick to watch NESN and NBCSN mostly, i tried paying the subscription to NHL gamecentre, but if Premier Sports has the rights to the game here in the UK (which they do for a lot of NHL games, even if they don't show them) then it's blacked out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.