This is America

Old May 13th 2018, 9:42 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default This is America

New video going around. I liked it, in a jarring WTF is wrong with America sort of way. Waiting for some bright spark to make This is Canada now. Will it feature the FN? Maybe. Not sure what Canada's big societal issue is...
Old May 13th 2018, 9:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This is America

Do you mean Childish Gambino?
Old May 14th 2018, 5:11 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Do you mean Childish Gambino?
Yup. Hadn't heard of him before this, but he seems like a nice guy.
Old May 14th 2018, 5:16 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Yup. Hadn't heard of him before this...
Me neither.

It reminded me of Gangnam Style.
Old May 14th 2018, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Cyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond repute

It's a start - having a creative interpretation of the gun and police state dystopia that abounds south of the border. But it's kind of preaching to the converted - the type of folks who will watch it and stroke their chin in nodding agreement, sipping their lattes with their MacBook open.

It will take years to build any momentum just like anti-smoking and LGBT issues. I thought Sandy Hook would be pivotal moment but I underestimated the low-life politicians who are in the pocket of the NRA.

Canada has no similar issues to speak of, other than the handbag fight between BC and Alberta over pipelines...
Old May 14th 2018, 5:43 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

America is the "last primitive society of the future."

Last edited by Oink; May 14th 2018 at 5:46 pm.
Old May 15th 2018, 12:08 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Oink
America is the "last primitive society of the future."
...he says while stroking his chin, sipping his latte and nodding at his open Macbook.

Hard to know what America is these days, but video certainly illustrated its ever present darker side.
Old May 15th 2018, 12:10 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Me neither.

It reminded me of Gangnam Style.
Really? Gangnam was pure fun.

Will Gompertz reviews Childish Gambino's This is America video ★★★★☆ - BBC News
Old May 15th 2018, 12:15 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Cyan
It's a start - having a creative interpretation of the gun and police state dystopia that abounds south of the border. But it's kind of preaching to the converted - the type of folks who will watch it and stroke their chin in nodding agreement, sipping their lattes with their MacBook open.

It will take years to build any momentum just like anti-smoking and LGBT issues. I thought Sandy Hook would be pivotal moment but I underestimated the low-life politicians who are in the pocket of the NRA.

Canada has no similar issues to speak of, other than the handbag fight between BC and Alberta over pipelines...
The preached to need more converting, given the lack of action. In any case, as music video it actually goes out to a very wide, although a younger demographic. I think it was more a statement on a broken American psyche than gun control per se.
Old May 15th 2018, 12:28 pm
Oscar nominated

Really? Gangnam was pure fun.
Purely the dancing aspect
Old May 16th 2018, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Hard to know what America is these days, but video certainly illustrated its ever present darker side.
America is becoming the first truly post-industrial society in the West. And that's unravelling all the uneasy compromises that were made to keep industrial society working.
Old May 16th 2018, 9:58 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Do a search for the "call me maybe" version. The bullet to the back of the head is perfectly timed.
Old May 16th 2018, 11:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
America is becoming the first truly post-industrial society in the West. And that's unravelling all the uneasy compromises that were made to keep industrial society working.
Perhaps you could help me a little towards understanding your post.

In what way is it post-industrial? They still make cars in America, washing machines, drywall compound, commercial ice cream, guns, there's no end of industry.

Which societies in the East are post-industrial and which in the West are faux post-industrial?

Please do not express your answers through the medium of interpretative dance. Thanks.
Old May 16th 2018, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
In what way is it post-industrial? They still make cars in America, washing machines, drywall compound, commercial ice cream, guns, there's no end of industry.
But it matters less and less every year. Today, if an American wants something made, there's no need to find someone in America to do it, they can just send the design to China and have the Chinese company send the results back to them. There are lots of tiny companies which do that already, for the parts they can't make on a CNC machine or 3D printer.

Tomorrow, they'll skip the whole China business and just make it at home.

And decentralization of production inevitably leads to the decline of centralized power. If you need a giant factory to make stuff, the people in Washington can do a lot to help you make that factory work, and there's a strong incentive to favour a big, centralized government and to go-along-to-get-along with people you don't much like but need to work with in your factory. If you get all your stuff from China, or build it in your basement, there's little that people in Washington can do for you other than get in the way, and you no longer have to care about people you don't like.

The whole post-WWII compromise between left and right was based on the belief that we'd be better off by working together, because we could build bigger factories and make more stuff. And that's increasingly no longer the case.

Hence the rapidly-accelerating breakdown of American society, with Canada and the EU not far behind.

Which societies in the East are post-industrial and which in the West are faux post-industrial?
I specified the West, because I know a lot more about Western countries than I do about any others, and I didn't want someone to say 'what about Wazakistan, eh?' And pretty much the whole of the west is faux post-industrial at this point, they just have lots of factories to make stuff to send to America.
Old May 17th 2018, 12:30 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
But it matters less and less every year. Today, if an American wants something made, there's no need to find someone in America to do it, they can just send the design to China and have the Chinese company send the results back to them. There are lots of tiny companies which do that already, for the parts they can't make on a CNC machine or 3D printer.

Tomorrow, they'll skip the whole China business and just make it at home.

And decentralization of production inevitably leads to the decline of centralized power. If you need a giant factory to make stuff, the people in Washington can do a lot to help you make that factory work, and there's a strong incentive to favour a big, centralized government and to go-along-to-get-along with people you don't much like but need to work with in your factory. If you get all your stuff from China, or build it in your basement, there's little that people in Washington can do for you other than get in the way, and you no longer have to care about people you don't like.

The whole post-WWII compromise between left and right was based on the belief that we'd be better off by working together, because we could build bigger factories and make more stuff. And that's increasingly no longer the case.

Hence the rapidly-accelerating breakdown of American society, with Canada and the EU not far behind.

I specified the West, because I know a lot more about Western countries than I do about any others, and I didn't want someone to say 'what about Wazakistan, eh?' And pretty much the whole of the west is faux post-industrial at this point, they just have lots of factories to make stuff to send to America.
Thank you for the explanations.

However, I don't see that American society is breaking down. Granted, there's a lunatic at the controls but he'll pass, American society will survive him. I think there's a large industrial sector that will not outsource, that is the defense industrial and the civilian spin-offs. In any case, I don't think the role of central government is closely tied to industry; if all industry had moved to China, government would still be administering taxes and farm subsidies and the world's largest single-payer healthcare system.

We might say that Switzerland is a post-industrial society, there's some precision engineering but most of the watchmaking has gone and yet the government hasn't collapsed, society hasn't broken down. Taking a historical perspective, the decline of the textile industry in the UK left specific towns barren but society didn't collapse, life went on. The 3D printer isn't a harbinger of anarchy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.