Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Am I the only that thinks Canadian supermarket food is crap?

Old Jul 20th 2019, 4:55 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I the only that thinks Canadian supermarket food is crap?

Originally Posted by Rete
Actually, I have several of these in my freezer and yes, I do eat them. The best meat and/or vegetable lasagna is by Stouffer's. My Canuck loves them.
Stouffers crustinis are pretty good to snack on and the Lean Cuisines are pretty good too. Probably the nearest to what's available at Tesco, M&S, Sainsbury etc

Old Jul 20th 2019, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Grimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
i never buy ready meals here..but decided to buy a frozen lasagna as i was running late..that was a bad move..suppose to serve four but was barely enough for one...went eat it and there was zero and i mean zero meat in it no bechamel sauce just pasta and some gluey tomato sauce...was rank
Costco do a nice lasagna at their deli. more than enough for four.
Old Jul 20th 2019, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

zdenka is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Skip the Dishes is just a portal - you are actually ordering directly from the restaurant, although there is a delivery fee. but Boston Pizza would have charged you about that if you had gone in (they also deliver.. for a fee.. as do many others) This might be of interest - the alternative 'delivery' portals .. https://gastrofork.ca/2018/skip-the-...ervice-to-use/
Have you seen our 'Groceries' thread? You might find some inspiration there.. or can ask about stuff you want but can't find or aren't sure what it's like!

Groceries

Oh thank you, I will check it out. I am running out of ideas!
Old Jul 20th 2019, 7:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Stouffers lasagna is pretty good. Their meals are pretty decent often here the Stouffers lasgna single will go on sale for 1.99

Originally Posted by Rete
Actually, I have several of these in my freezer and yes, I do eat them. The best meat and/or vegetable lasagna is by Stouffer's. My Canuck loves them.
Old Jul 20th 2019, 7:57 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zdenka
Oh thank you, I will check it out. I am running out of ideas!
You are most welcome! If you find it of help for inspiration and ideas, we've also got these gems... Breakfast Choices / Lunchtime Choices / Teatime Choices - all about food (there's also threads about sausages and cheese)

Breakfast Choices
Lunchtime Choices
Teatime Choices

Ask any questions about food in the groceries thread.. lots of great ideas and advice (and maybe not quite so helpful ones) will be forthcoming
Old Jul 21st 2019, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

One thing Canada does better occurred to me when I was thinking about this topic - produce. The produce here at Save-on-Foods and Kins Farmers Market is excellent, in my opinion it’s very difficult to find produce as nice at a UK supermarket. Tomatoes are always watery and bitter in the UK, here they’re sweet and taste very nice, similar to the Tomatoes you get in Spain. The farming and produce culture in BC is phenomenal.
Old Jul 21st 2019, 6:06 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm.. a little bit subjective I'd say.
Imagine you're from China, and I've had some really nice food in china, and I emigrate to Canada. The chances of my eating the same tasting food in Canada are low. Don't ask me why, but for some reason you don't get the same quality of snake or dog in Canada that you get in China.
I'm being a little extreme and not a little flippant but I have eaten these in China and I'm trying to make a point. Chinese cooking for chinese is different than chinese cooking for canadians.
You have to realise that you live in Canada and the delicacies you might have enjoyed in Bradford need to be moderated when you're supplying the canadian palate.
I recently mopped up a few offerings of Tesco Vindaloo from Save On (sadly no longer available where I live) and truly stimulating they were but I doubt that they'd appeal to a canadian without having to drain one of the great lakes to quench the fire.
The food supplied by canadian suppliers appears to satisfy canadians. Those of us who've been fortunate enough to experience a different, for that's all it is, spectrum of taste should realise that we live where we are and that our tastes aren't necessarily the same of our hostes.
Old Jul 21st 2019, 7:22 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

It speaks for itself.
Old Jul 21st 2019, 10:34 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
...Don't ask me why, but for some reason you don't get the same quality of snake or dog in Canada that you get in China.

But the important question though is do they do a refrigerated/frozen/convenience version of this gourmet meal that one can lift the corner to vent and cook in 5 minutes in the microwave whenever one feels like it?
Old Jul 21st 2019, 11:38 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fynnley
I spent a few weeks on hols back in The U.K and ate myself silly with our incredibly good food and am now back in Canada wondering what is going on with our drab food here. I don't mean fruit and veg, I am referring to ready meals, bread etc.
I found in The U.K the quality and selection is far superior to what is offered here, whilst also being cheaper. For example, ready meals, so tasty and cheap! Good quality sarnies for a pound, 50. (sorry no sterling sign). Baked camembert from M&S, amazing bakeries to make your mouth water. I could go on but you get the point.
Over here its $3.50 for a loaf, $6 for a crappy frozen butter chicken etc. I don't get it. Do we just accept bad food here? Maybe we should kick up a fuss and demand better. I don't mind spending decent money on food if the quality is high but when its expensive and poor quality its a bad combination.
Or is it just me?
It's even more depressing when you go clothes shopping.
Old Jul 21st 2019, 11:42 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm.. a little bit subjective I'd say.
Imagine you're from China, and I've had some really nice food in china, and I emigrate to Canada. The chances of my eating the same tasting food in Canada are low. Don't ask me why, but for some reason you don't get the same quality of snake or dog in Canada that you get in China.
I'm being a little extreme and not a little flippant but I have eaten these in China and I'm trying to make a point. Chinese cooking for chinese is different than chinese cooking for canadians.
Just walk down Spadina. If it wasn't for the rare sighting of a streetcar you would get confused and think you were in Chongqing. Plenty of chinese for chinese.
Old Jul 21st 2019, 3:47 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Just walk down Spadina. If it wasn't for the rare sighting of a streetcar you would get confused and think you were in Chongqing. Plenty of chinese for chinese.
No doubt there are these gems where you can pick up delicious fare, but I suspect that the influence of the canadian purse will ensure that they supply what the customer likes.
As an example. I spent my student days in the early 70's in Bradford. The local pakistani cafes really did cater for the local pakistanis and we students were tolerated more than encouraged. Today, the old names are still there but those I visited a few years ago no longer served the type of food we lapped up, it's as though they've evolved to service a different customer base. The curry capital of the UK still serves delicious food, it's just not the same.

Old Jul 21st 2019, 4:24 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

it's just not the same.
Same in Vancouver's Chinatown, Hon's isn't like it used to be, and back in the 80's and 90's it was one of the most popular places among the Chinese. After church on Sunday it was always packed. I've never been to their other locations. The availability of specialty foods is always changing, old places close, new ones open. The butcher on Commercial that had the best real Portuguese chorizo closed a few years ago, but someday there will be somebody else start up and make it just as well. The Marine View restaurant used to be above the customs shed right on the wharf where the fish were being unloaded, and I called it the best seafood place (maybe tied with The Only) and they've both been gone for ages, but new places will always replace them. This is The Only just after it closed - not getting any Michelin stars at the peak of it's popularity, but businessmen in nice suits would walk up from Granville St and line up on the sidewalk to get in at lunch time.

One evening I was seated in the 3rd chair from the right, facing us, and the gentleman to my left passed out and went head-first into his Manhattan-style clam chowder. You had to pay in advance and take the next available seat as you reached the head of the line.
Old Jul 21st 2019, 4:37 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Stouffers crustinis are pretty good to snack on and the Lean Cuisines are pretty good too. Probably the nearest to what's available at Tesco, M&S, Sainsbury etc

When I first met my partner and went to the apartment, when I looked in his fridge and freezer, it was bare except for these things!

he still buys them occasionally but def not as much anymore
Old Jul 21st 2019, 4:43 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo

When I first met my partner and went to the apartment, when I looked in his fridge and freezer, it was bare except for these things!

he still buys them occasionally but def not as much anymore
Not long after I met my husband he was helping me put some groceries away in my apartment and he spotted a packet of Deb instant mashed potato. That was nearly the end of us

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.