Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Allergic kids vs kids without allergies at school

Allergic kids vs kids without allergies at school

Old Jan 30th 2014, 8:46 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Allergic kids vs kids without allergies at school

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
How did your boss cope with life?

How, for example, does he ride on aeroplanes, buses, trains? Does he ever go to movies. Does he walk around all day in a spacesuit?
Restaurants - he stayed away with ones that use a lot of peanut and peanut product (Thai, Chinese, etc). If we were at a steakhouse or Italian place, it was fine.

On airlines, he informs the airline ahead of time, and the airline will instead serve something like pretzels instead of peanuts as a snack. He's been lucky that someone around him hasn't brought peanuts onto the airplane. (It's not so sensitive that someone nearby having a Reeses Cup or something will set him off - the incident with the Thai food was different beacuse it was hot, there was a lot of it, and it made the room stink up pretty badly.)

He goes to movies, but doesn't sit in the middle of the theatre, he'll sit towards the edges, just in case.

I think he's found a good way to still live his life wtihout being, as you say, in a spacesuit - and he tries not to inconvenience others in the process.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 9:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Restaurants - he stayed away with ones that use a lot of peanut and peanut product (Thai, Chinese, etc). If we were at a steakhouse or Italian place, it was fine.

On airlines, he informs the airline ahead of time, and the airline will instead serve something like pretzels instead of peanuts as a snack. He's been lucky that someone around him hasn't brought peanuts onto the airplane. (It's not so sensitive that someone nearby having a Reeses Cup or something will set him off - the incident with the Thai food was different beacuse it was hot, there was a lot of it, and it made the room stink up pretty badly.)

He goes to movies, but doesn't sit in the middle of the theatre, he'll sit towards the edges, just in case.

I think he's found a good way to still live his life wtihout being, as you say, in a spacesuit - and he tries not to inconvenience others in the process.
I understand that he can control what he consumes. I was curious about how he deals with what other people are doing. What if the person behind him on the plane was eating peanuts, the person in front of him in a dark cinema, etc.

I have to admit that I didn't realise that peanuts had a smell that was discernible from more than 1/2 an inch away, nor did realise that the temperature of peanuts affected one's reaction to them.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 10:27 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like hiding from nuts is not the way forward after all

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...ticle16605537/

Doctors at Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge started by giving 99 children aged seven to 16 with severe peanut allergies a tiny 2-milligram dose of a special peanut flour mixed into their food.

After six months of treatment, more than 80 per cent of the children can now safely eat five peanuts at a time.

I wonder if they will try the same with milk
Old Jan 30th 2014, 10:53 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I understand that he can control what he consumes. I was curious about how he deals with what other people are doing. What if the person behind him on the plane was eating peanuts, the person in front of him in a dark cinema, etc.

I have to admit that I didn't realise that peanuts had a smell that was discernible from more than 1/2 an inch away, nor did realise that the temperature of peanuts affected one's reaction to them.
You can smell them a few feet away, peanut butter smells stay on the breath. Gross.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 10:58 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Hot particles , more energy, move further from source or sauce
Fizzics innit?
Old Jan 30th 2014, 11:11 pm
BEd Enthusiast

cjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Hot particles , more energy, move further from source or sauce
Fizzics innit?
Nuts do smell a bit when they get hot.

Biology innit...
Old Jan 31st 2014, 12:56 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Looks like hiding from nuts is not the way forward after all

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...ticle16605537/

Doctors at Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge started by giving 99 children aged seven to 16 with severe peanut allergies a tiny 2-milligram dose of a special peanut flour mixed into their food.

After six months of treatment, more than 80 per cent of the children can now safely eat five peanuts at a time.

I wonder if they will try the same with milk
Who hasn't been reading the thread then, hmmm?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...&postcount=159

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...&postcount=161

Old Jan 31st 2014, 12:58 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Ha Ha i dropped out ages ago, sorry
Old Jan 31st 2014, 5:49 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

A comment earlier about a child of 6 not being able to take resposibilty is incorrect also.

My stepson is in the peanut allergy club, has had an anaphylactic thingy and had to be stabbed with his pen (also severely asthmatic, severe reaction to wasp stings, and the same with mango). Luckily the poor little f*****r has grown out of a lot of his others. Anyway I digress - at 6 he was more than able to ask if things contained XYZ - such as me buying him a choccie bar he'd always remind me to check the label.

I think a lot of that is because his mother put the fear of god in him - but they can do it.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 12:19 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
A comment earlier about a child of 6 not being able to take resposibilty is incorrect also.

My stepson is in the peanut allergy club, has had an anaphylactic thingy and had to be stabbed with his pen (also severely asthmatic, severe reaction to wasp stings, and the same with mango). Luckily the poor little f*****r has grown out of a lot of his others. Anyway I digress - at 6 he was more than able to ask if things contained XYZ - such as me buying him a choccie bar he'd always remind me to check the label.

I think a lot of that is because his mother put the fear of god in him - but they can do it.
Brilliant post. Congrats to you guys for doing such a good job in making your stepson self-sufficient and able to manage his allergy. (also, LOL at your "little f*" comment, that made me crack up. It's a good thing I'm the only oen in the office right now!)

I was listening to CFRB and they were talking about this last week. One of the guys on the show, can't remember who, has a son who has a severe allergy to dairy, and is a similar age to your stepson. The guy said his son knows to ask others if a product contains dairy, to ask other adults to read a label for him if he has to, and to ask generally what's in things. He also said that in his classroom where he has lunch, he is very careful not to touch anyone else's food, and washes his hands after he eats just in case. It's all pretty civil. The teachers also keep an eye on him - the guy was saying he would never ask the teacher to have the other students stop bringing in dairy completely.