Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

all this way and.....

Wikiposts

all this way and.....

Old Jan 26th 2009, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

walkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to behold
Default all this way and.....

well we are here in Kingston Ontario, and working hard, loving every min, then life throws something at you that catches you so unprepared.
We came over in August last year with our beloved cat Missy, he was a real gentleman, no scratching, quiet, loving the new country we had brought him to, then we noticed a change. He became ill, and before we realised, it was too late. we found out on the thursday and had to say goodbye on the saturday, the vet said there was nothing we could do, god it was the hardest thing ive had to do.
He did so well on the hurrendous journey we had on the flight over here.
he was my brave little soldier, i shall really miss him, and he was only 4.
the canadian vets where very good and sympathetic, the bills where expensive, but needs must.
Not many cats can say that they where taken in as a stray and travelled over the atlantic to their new life, even though it was only for a short time
Old Jan 26th 2009, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: all this way and.....

Oh - I'm so very sorry for your loss....

I had that but a bit the other way around....

My little girl was fairly old, and was never the healthiest cat, so I was dreading on moving and what to do with her as I knew she'd not make it. Anyway, I noticed over week or so, that she was struggling with life, very lethargic, not able or happy to walk up the stairs to bed etc... So I had to take her to the vet and sadly they discovered her lungs were 80% tumour. Nothing to be done, but to say good byes.......... I was heartbroken, but in the back of my mind I was happy she'd decided it was time before I had to make a decision about the move.

She's burried under a large oak tree at my best mate's property by their lake so I know she has a good view of things.

Again - so sorry for you, and it seems your boy had some good times in his new country.

Bx
Old Jan 26th 2009, 3:46 pm

LorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of light

Know exactly how you feel.
We lost (still relatively young at 7) our chocolate labrador Fudge to an advanced very aggressive cancer a few weeks before . We so wanted him to enjoy the increased space Canada would have given him. My OH always kept promising to take him with us, now we will end up bringing his ashes to scatter on our land (if we are allowed to that is)
This plan has bought about some very Monty Python-ish type discussions however. We are not sure if you are permitted to take pets ashes with you transatlantic (anyone out there know the answer?)
We did get to hear about a company that will turn pets ashes into glassware or possibly ceramics (I kid you not). My OH suggested we turn him into a maple syrup jug and smuggle him through customs that way!
On a more serious note we miss him dreadfully, especially over Christmas as he was very much a part of the family, so you have my every sympathy.
Lorraine G.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud of

We bought our two cats ashes over, they weren't specified as that on the shipping list though, I think they just went as "cat basket" or something. AFAIK there wasn't any particular law against it, we just put that to reduce the likelyhood of customs being interested, but we did bring their cremation certificates with us just in case.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 4:08 pm

LorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by PaulandNikki
We bought our two cats ashes over, they weren't specified as that on the shipping list though, I think they just went as "cat basket" or something. AFAIK there wasn't any particular law against it, we just put that to reduce the likelyhood of customs being interested, but we did bring their cremation certificates with us just in case.

Oh, that is good news to us that it is possible. Thank's for that, you have given us hope we can take him with us.
Lorraine.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

Aww the poor baby!

And *hugs* to you.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Deeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to all

Just to say I feel for you, it's so tough to lose a beloved pet.
Kind regards
D.x
Old Jan 27th 2009, 1:48 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

The Rainbow Bridge

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author Unknown.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 2:08 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry about your cat

When the time comes Im sure there are many worthy successors to Missys throne at the humane society. We were recently adopted by a beautiful ginger tabby, who didn't realise his nuts would soon be history as a consequence. ($220!) We figured he was driven out to the countryside and abandoned...beats me why people do that.

Still a bit of friction between him and our existing 3, but I think its sorting itself out, and he's a sweetheart.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 27th 2009 at 3:35 am.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Snif snif,,my misses is alegic to cats no puddy cat for me
Old Jan 27th 2009, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

shoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really nice

Originally Posted by walkerv05
well we are here in Kingston Ontario, and working hard, loving every min, then life throws something at you that catches you so unprepared.
We came over in August last year with our beloved cat Missy, he was a real gentleman, no scratching, quiet, loving the new country we had brought him to, then we noticed a change. He became ill, and before we realised, it was too late. we found out on the thursday and had to say goodbye on the saturday, the vet said there was nothing we could do, god it was the hardest thing ive had to do.
He did so well on the hurrendous journey we had on the flight over here.
he was my brave little soldier, i shall really miss him, and he was only 4.
the canadian vets where very good and sympathetic, the bills where expensive, but needs must.
Not many cats can say that they where taken in as a stray and travelled over the atlantic to their new life, even though it was only for a short time
Oh I do feel for you. I have tears in my eyes and can understand your pain. Losing a cat is like losing a close friend, I have been through it on 4 occasions now and it doesn't get any easier.

You gave your beloved cat a wonderful life - one he may not have had elsewhere. You looked after him and gave him the best life you could, and I'm sure he knew that. Sleep soundly in the knowledge you always did the best for him.

Look after yourself won't you.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 4:01 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walkerv05
We came over in August last year with our beloved cat Missy, he was a real gentleman, no scratching, quiet, loving the new country we had brought him to
First, the serious bit. Commiserations on the demise of the cat.

I'm confused. Isn't Missy a female name, and wasn't it a male cat?
Old Jan 27th 2009, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

Batfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really nice

So sorry to hear your sad news. We had to have our gorgeous dog put to sleep 2 years ago and it broke my heart. I still think about him every day.

My friend sent me the rainbow bridge poem the day he died and at the time it nearly fininshed me off, even now now it brings me to tears. I thinks it's a really beautiful poem tho'.

Sending you hugs...
Old Jan 27th 2009, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

I brought two old kitties with me to Canada, brothers aged 16 at the time. Of the two of them, the one who had always been the healthier of the two, died a couple of years back. It broke my heart and I still have a wee cry when I think about him as I still miss him so much - as I lived very rurally and the nearest vet was a few hours drive away, one of the doctors I worked with spoke with the vet by phone and came and put him to sleep for me; he died in my arms an hour later.
On a brighter note, I still have his brother at age 19 and he's still going strong!
Old Jan 27th 2009, 7:30 am
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear that.

Our older Moggy died a few months ago. Very sad time. She was 15 and survived the long trip across the Atlantic at age 13

We now have a new kitten who won't take the other one's place, but who has brought a lot of fun with her and keeps the other, older male cat on his toes..

Best wishes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.