Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Alan Partridge - This Life

Alan Partridge - This Life

Old Mar 26th 2019, 1:03 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Alan Partridge - This Life

Anyone watching it on BBC? Fourth episode yesterday (including 'profanity') was hilarious. I don't know how he does it, it's such a weird kind of ironic humour.
Old Mar 26th 2019, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alan Partridge - This Life

Originally Posted by Shard
Anyone watching it on BBC? Fourth episode yesterday (including 'profanity') was hilarious. I don't know how he does it, it's such a weird kind of ironic humour.
A ha ! Yesterday was episode 5 and due to my Iplayer thinking for some reason I'm in the UK, I couldn't watch it that way but Dailymotion had it uploaded.

It is very subtle humour and to me is a perfect summary of the inane stuff like the Today Show or that awful show with Piers in the morning. Alan's sidekick is perfect and her disdain for Alan is so spot on. Now if only they could bring back Michael the Geordie

Old Mar 26th 2019, 1:53 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
A ha ! Yesterday was episode 5 and due to my Iplayer thinking for some reason I'm in the UK, I couldn't watch it that way but Dailymotion had it uploaded.

It is very subtle humour and to me is a perfect summary of the inane stuff like the Today Show or that awful show with Piers in the morning. Alan's sidekick is perfect and her disdain for Alan is so spot on. Now if only they could bring back Michael the Geordie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPXn63fxdfI
A cup of beans

Haven't come across that before.
Old Mar 26th 2019, 2:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...but Dailymotion had it uploaded...
Backwards?

I've found a few surprises there but on-screen words - be they titles, signs, other captions - are sometimes backwards. And outside you can see cars driving on the right hand side of the road in England.

I'm guessing there's some technical way that experts can pick up websites illegally hosting TV shows and movies but having it mirrored or whatever means it doesn't get picked up.
Old Mar 26th 2019, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Backwards?

I've found a few surprises there but on-screen words - be they titles, signs, other captions - are sometimes backwards. And outside you can see cars driving on the right hand side of the road in England.

I'm guessing there's some technical way that experts can pick up websites illegally hosting TV shows and movies but having it mirrored or whatever means it doesn't get picked up.
My version on Dailymotion wasn't backwards.

However, we're watching a show on Netflix called Rebellion based in 1916-1920 in Ireland and in Series 1 all of the cars featured were LHD which seemed quite jarring. Series 2 set in 1920 had RHD cars.
Old Mar 26th 2019, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Shard
A cup of beans

Haven't come across that before.
That is a Michael special..it's a savoury 99 once you put a sausage in it.

On my indoor footie team there is another fellow who is more of a Partridge fan than me and he manages to insert a random Alanism into our games somehow and has been known to order a 'ladyboy' at the pub post game. One of our regular opponents has a 'Dan' on the team who is also english and he knows what he is in for when we play.

Old Mar 26th 2019, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

DeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond repute

This Time is okay in parts but it's not quite up there with the sustained brilliance of Knowing Me, Knowing You and I'm Alan Partridge.

It's probably due to the absence of Armando Iannucci from the writing team. The two brothers writing it with Coogan now are talented – Mid Morning Matters was excellent – but some of the material on This Time feels a bit too stretched on occasion. It's like they had enough for an hour-long show and have had to pad it out for a full six-episode series.

As for Michael, wasn't he killed off in the (underwhelming) Partridge film?
Old Mar 26th 2019, 4:32 pm
Yo

Mid Morning Matters was excellent, and This Life seems to follow on. I think it's some his best comedy.
Old Mar 26th 2019, 4:36 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks will watch this

​​​​​​​just finished watching After Life. Very deep black humour from R Gervais
Old Mar 26th 2019, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DeanN
As for Michael, wasn't he killed off in the (underwhelming) Partridge film?
Hi Dean....is this you? I agree the movie was underwhelming. His stint as the late night radio guy on Radio Norfolk/Norwich and living at the Lincoln Travel Tavern was classic Partridge.

Old Mar 26th 2019, 4:49 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Thanks will watch this

just finished watching After Life. Very deep black humour from R Gervais
​​​​​​​Very tired of Gervais. He seems to have gained far more stature than warranted. Probably just tired of black humor.
Old Mar 26th 2019, 5:03 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

However, we're watching a show on Netflix called Rebellion based in 1916-1920 in Ireland and in Series 1 all of the cars featured were LHD which seemed quite jarring. Series 2 set in 1920 had RHD cars.
Rebellion is an awesome series. I’m re watching it again for the third time. First time before I went to Dublin, second time after I returned and now because there not really much other good stuff on Netflix
Old Mar 26th 2019, 5:05 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeanN
This Time is okay in parts but it's not quite up there with the sustained brilliance of Knowing Me, Knowing You and I'm Alan Partridge.
+1 I watched the first episode and was underwhelmed. Nothing on the original series, which I loved