British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Alan Partridge - This Life (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/alan-partridge-life-923598/)

Shard Mar 26th 2019 1:03 pm

Alan Partridge - This Life

Anyone watching it on BBC? Fourth episode yesterday (including 'profanity') was hilarious. I don't know how he does it, it's such a weird kind of ironic humour.

Partially discharged Mar 26th 2019 1:28 pm

Re: Alan Partridge - This Life

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12660754)
Anyone watching it on BBC? Fourth episode yesterday (including 'profanity') was hilarious. I don't know how he does it, it's such a weird kind of ironic humour.

A ha ! Yesterday was episode 5 and due to my Iplayer thinking for some reason I'm in the UK, I couldn't watch it that way but Dailymotion had it uploaded.

It is very subtle humour and to me is a perfect summary of the inane stuff like the Today Show or that awful show with Piers in the morning. Alan's sidekick is perfect and her disdain for Alan is so spot on. Now if only they could bring back Michael the Geordie

Shard Mar 26th 2019 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12660769)
A ha ! Yesterday was episode 5 and due to my Iplayer thinking for some reason I'm in the UK, I couldn't watch it that way but Dailymotion had it uploaded.

It is very subtle humour and to me is a perfect summary of the inane stuff like the Today Show or that awful show with Piers in the morning. Alan's sidekick is perfect and her disdain for Alan is so spot on. Now if only they could bring back Michael the Geordie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPXn63fxdfI

A cup of beans :rofl::rofl:

Haven't come across that before.

BristolUK Mar 26th 2019 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12660769)
...but Dailymotion had it uploaded...

Backwards?

I've found a few surprises there but on-screen words - be they titles, signs, other captions - are sometimes backwards. And outside you can see cars driving on the right hand side of the road in England. :rofl:

I'm guessing there's some technical way that experts can pick up websites illegally hosting TV shows and movies but having it mirrored or whatever means it doesn't get picked up. :unsure:

Partially discharged Mar 26th 2019 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12660819)
Backwards?

I've found a few surprises there but on-screen words - be they titles, signs, other captions - are sometimes backwards. And outside you can see cars driving on the right hand side of the road in England. :rofl:

I'm guessing there's some technical way that experts can pick up websites illegally hosting TV shows and movies but having it mirrored or whatever means it doesn't get picked up. :unsure:

My version on Dailymotion wasn't backwards.

However, we're watching a show on Netflix called Rebellion based in 1916-1920 in Ireland and in Series 1 all of the cars featured were LHD which seemed quite jarring. Series 2 set in 1920 had RHD cars.

Partially discharged Mar 26th 2019 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12660778)
A cup of beans :rofl::rofl:

Haven't come across that before.

That is a Michael special..it's a savoury 99 once you put a sausage in it.

On my indoor footie team there is another fellow who is more of a Partridge fan than me and he manages to insert a random Alanism into our games somehow and has been known to order a 'ladyboy' at the pub post game. One of our regular opponents has a 'Dan' on the team who is also english and he knows what he is in for when we play.

DeanN Mar 26th 2019 4:07 pm

This Time is okay in parts but it's not quite up there with the sustained brilliance of Knowing Me, Knowing You and I'm Alan Partridge.

It's probably due to the absence of Armando Iannucci from the writing team. The two brothers writing it with Coogan now are talented – Mid Morning Matters was excellent – but some of the material on This Time feels a bit too stretched on occasion. It's like they had enough for an hour-long show and have had to pad it out for a full six-episode series.

As for Michael, wasn't he killed off in the (underwhelming) Partridge film?

Shard Mar 26th 2019 4:32 pm

Mid Morning Matters was excellent, and This Life seems to follow on. I think it's some his best comedy.

magnumpi Mar 26th 2019 4:36 pm

Thanks will watch this

​​​​​​​just finished watching After Life. Very deep black humour from R Gervais

Partially discharged Mar 26th 2019 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by DeanN (Post 12660890)
As for Michael, wasn't he killed off in the (underwhelming) Partridge film?

Hi Dean....is this you? :):) I agree the movie was underwhelming. His stint as the late night radio guy on Radio Norfolk/Norwich and living at the Lincoln Travel Tavern was classic Partridge.

Shard Mar 26th 2019 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 12660907)
Thanks will watch this

just finished watching After Life. Very deep black humour from R Gervais

​​​​​​​Very tired of Gervais. He seems to have gained far more stature than warranted. Probably just tired of black humor.

beckiwoo Mar 26th 2019 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12660823)

However, we're watching a show on Netflix called Rebellion based in 1916-1920 in Ireland and in Series 1 all of the cars featured were LHD which seemed quite jarring. Series 2 set in 1920 had RHD cars.

Rebellion is an awesome series. I’m re watching it again for the third time. First time before I went to Dublin, second time after I returned and now because there not really much other good stuff on Netflix

beckiwoo Mar 26th 2019 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by DeanN (Post 12660890)
This Time is okay in parts but it's not quite up there with the sustained brilliance of Knowing Me, Knowing You and I'm Alan Partridge.

+1 I watched the first episode and was underwhelmed. Nothing on the original series, which I loved