Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Air Transat are shit ... Yes, but they're really shit

Air Transat are shit ... Yes, but they're really shit

Old Sep 1st 2011, 6:40 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Air Transat are shit ... Yes, but they're really shit

Originally Posted by JamesM

Thankfully this forum is a beacon of light in the sea of darkness.
Well, I'd say that having trolley dollies attractive enough to give your phone number to puts Air Transat comfortably ahead of Air Canada on that score.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 6:49 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Well, I'd say that having trolley dollies attractive enough to give your phone number to puts Air Transat comfortably ahead of Air Canada on that score.

It seems to me that Air Canada is a perfect metaphor for the rest of the country.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 7:35 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Old Sep 1st 2011, 11:17 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

I once got quite a serious proposition from an FA to join the mile high club on an AC flight. However by this point she had plied me with four large G&Ts in a very short period of time. It was also a short haul flight on a small plane so rather crappy bathrooms. It was rather flattering though if a little scary.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

blue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to all

I made the mistake of flying Air transcrap once, I went back to AC after: better customer service, better seat pitch & width, free alcoholic drinks all flight, better choice of food, better entertainment choices, I'd rather pay the extra money to fly AC.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

I wouldn't fly with AT, purely because of all the bad things I have heard about them over past few years. Best flight I've ever had was with Zoom - even if they did go bust and strand us in Vancouver. Fab staff, comfortable plane, great food, great price ... whole package. Sorely missed.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 11:59 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

I did Gatwick to Calgary with AT last year and didnt have many complaints from their service considering I booked my return flights for only £300. Apart from that they starved me to death by their stingy portions of food on both flights.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 1:39 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blue monday
free alcoholic drinks all flight, better choice of food, better entertainment choices, I'd rather pay the extra money to fly AC.
Er, is it just me that sees the inconsistency here? Its not exactly free if you are paying a couple of hundred more for the flight..

Ive had more legroom on AT flights than AC flights... it depends on the configuration of the aircraft I guess.

All stearage class food on planes is crap (and tiny, some sort of bonsai food I think), its just a question of degrees. I try to sleep on transatlantic flights, so dont care about the entertainment.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Er, is it just me that sees the inconsistency here? Its not exactly free if you are paying a couple of hundred more for the flight..

Ive had more legroom on AT flights than AC flights... it depends on the configuration of the aircraft I guess.

All stearage class food on planes is crap (and tiny, some sort of bonsai food I think), its just a question of degrees. I try to sleep on transatlantic flights, so dont care about the entertainment.
I do too....but rarely achieve much and end up feeling like a half shut knife on arrival....though things have improved since acquiring a set of noise cancelling headphones....not required if screaming kids/babies not in evidence....seemingly a rare occurrence indeed.......a problem pretty standard on any airline....
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 2:03 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink

I agree $300 more for a couple of "free" drinks etc.......

Air Canada is the worst Airline I have ever flown with.

They have no money at all! And the plane was worse than the one LondonMike and I were on last week.

My headset didn't work etc.......

Air Canada charges the same as British Airways but is not even close in terms of level or service, quality of fleet etc.....

I'd consider BA if I had to fly from say Vancouver but really 7 hours on Air Transat is nothing especially on their newer planes.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

As I have stated previously, I have not had a bad flight with AT. It's cheap and cheerful and 'we gets what we pays for'.

Just as matter of interest I checked out what the additional cost would be (one way Toronto to Glasgow) to upgrade to 'front of the bus' as the bigger seats, more legroom etc was appealing. $500 each was the response.....

Sorry, a bit toooooooo much for this poor immigrant....cattle class it it.....
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 3:29 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I agree $300 more for a couple of "free" drinks etc.......

Air Canada is the worst Airline I have ever flown with.

They have no money at all! And the plane was worse than the one LondonMike and I were on last week.

My headset didn't work etc.......

Air Canada charges the same as British Airways but is not even close in terms of level or service, quality of fleet etc.....

I'd consider BA if I had to fly from say Vancouver but really 7 hours on Air Transat is nothing especially on their newer planes.
Yet in contrast, I fly AC all the time. (Don't have many alternatives serving YYT). Compared to West Jet and domestic BA, their planes have been newer, shinier and had better in flight entertainment. Yes, some of the FA's are on the mature side, but I've generally had good service, albeit not of the mile high nature. An AC flight attendant did find the Ipod that I'd inadvertently left on the plane and contact me & send back to me at her own expense, last year. If that'd been WJ, they would have made a TV ad about it....

As with all things. YMMV.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 10:51 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

I have a sweet spot for women in uniform who serve beer and food hense my obsession with "Hooters".

It has not yet been 48 hours.....perhaps she is just making me sweat
Maybe she's passed on your details to CSIS or the RCMP! Hopefully, you don't find yourself on the no-fly list anytimer soon!!
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Slightly off topic - did you know Thomas Cook no longer provide sick bags on their planes to Canada? Found this out to my cost last year. Not sure what you are meant to do when you want to hurl - and neither were the cabin crew apparently.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 9:05 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by singingringingtree
Slightly off topic - did you know Thomas Cook no longer provide sick bags on their planes to Canada? Found this out to my cost last year. Not sure what you are meant to do when you want to hurl - and neither were the cabin crew apparently.
Maybe they are going to sell them to you? There is always a pocket in the seat back in front of you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.