Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Air Transat Glasgow to Toronto pilots suspicion of being too drunk

Air Transat Glasgow to Toronto pilots suspicion of being too drunk

Old Jul 19th 2016, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Air Transat Glasgow to Toronto pilots suspicion of being too drunk

My English rellies insisted on using Air Transat whenever they visited ............. despite the fact that literally every flight was bad.

"Bad" ranged from hours late in leaving England or here, terrible food, broken seats on both flights, rude cabin crew, lost luggage, etc.

You name it, it happened to them.

Yet, they kept saying "but it is so much cheaper than any other company"

PAH ............ never could understand that mentality!
Old Jul 19th 2016, 7:45 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Because Air Transat is budget charter airline, I suspect they pay less and thus attract pilots that are less desirable to the major airlines. Luckily I don't have to fly with them.
We just flew with them and survived....I think anyone can have a drink problem, it doesn't discriminate whether your are Cathay Pacific or Easy Jet.... You may be safer with Emirates or Etihad in this regard but even that is not guaranteed.

We fly back tomorrow on Icelandair, likely Captain Magnusson or Peterson or Sigfriedson etc doing the honours who hopefully won't be pickled like a herring
Old Jul 19th 2016, 8:08 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
We just flew with them and survived....I think anyone can have a drink problem, it doesn't discriminate whether your are Cathay Pacific or Easy Jet.... You may be safer with Emirates or Etihad in this regard but even that is not guaranteed.

We fly back tomorrow on Icelandair, likely Captain Magnusson or Peterson or Sigfriedson etc doing the honours who hopefully won't be pickled like a herring

I'm sure they're fine but Air Transat do hire pilots that the major airlines prorbaly wouldn't and they do pay less. You get what you pay for.
Old Jul 19th 2016, 8:18 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Yet, they kept saying "but it is so much cheaper than any other company"
PAH ............ never could understand that mentality!
You get what you pay for.
Or what you can afford to pay for...or if you can afford more, it's just a flight and as long as you arrive safely you can spend the difference on something else.
Old Jul 19th 2016, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps it should be like the oil industry? When you sign the contract, you agree to subject yourself to any random test for drink/drugs....if such checks were to be made relatively frequent, less flight crews would take the chance...
Old Jul 19th 2016, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Or what you can afford to pay for...or if you can afford more, it's just a flight and as long as you arrive safely you can spend the difference on something else.

The niece who had the broken seat coming from England to here took several days to get close to being able to walk normally, and she was only about 40 at the time.

She reported the seat, and was assured that it would have been removed and repaired, and that she would not have it on the return trip.

Guess what .............. she was given the exact same seat number and row on the return trip, told the person on check-in and was assured once again that it was NOT the same seat and if it was, it had been repaired.

Nope ........... it was the exact same seat, still broken 4 weeks after her trip out.

She had to pay for several visits to physios after the return trip.

So not only are they skimping on paying their pilots, they are skimping on the structure of the plane, at least on the internal structure.

I'd rather pay more and have a comfortable seat.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 12:21 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

You get what you pay for.

Yep but for a 10 hour flight that I'm going to sleep through, why should I pay more.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
it's just a flight and as long as you arrive safely you can spend the difference on something else.

+1
Old Jul 20th 2016, 12:28 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Me too.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 1:17 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Do you get this service in Business Class?

Old Jul 20th 2016, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Yep but for a 10 hour flight that I'm going to sleep through, why should I pay more.
Much easier to sleep in a Business Class pod than a cattle-class seat. Last time I flew in a pod, I closed my eyes, rolled over, and wondered why it was light outside. Then realized I'd slept through most of the flight.

Not a big deal if I'm going back to the UK to visit relatives and getting on a coach at Heathrow, but if I'm driving for a couple of hours at the other end of the flight on a business trip, I don't want to fall asleep on the motorway.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 1:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Me too.
count me in.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 4:27 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
Much easier to sleep in a Business Class pod than a cattle-class seat.
Not all of us can afford to upgrade to business class.

I've taken so many flights in economy and driven home at the other end
Old Jul 20th 2016, 5:40 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

I'm sure they're fine but Air Transat do hire pilots that the major airlines prorbaly wouldn't and they do pay less. You get what you pay for.
Some years ago an Air Transat flight lost power over the Atlantic and the pilots glided the plane to a runway in the Azores. In that case it was excellent piloting. It set a record for gliding a passenger jet.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Quite a few years back i talked with a retired pilot, who said after a 'rough night' the system was to take a few burst of the aircrafts oxygen, and instantly sober.
mind you planes had props then
cheers
jerry
Old Jul 20th 2016, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jerry brewer
mind you planes had props then
Life was simpler in those days.

I spoke to a retired aircrew guy some years ago who was telling me about an airport where his job during landings in the 40s or 50s was to sit on the toilet at the back of the plane and warn the pilot if the tail was getting too close to the mountain at the end of the runway as they descended.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.