Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Air Canada - carry on luggage.

Air Canada - carry on luggage.

Old Mar 7th 2009, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Air Canada - carry on luggage.

I am wondering if anyone has flown Air Canada recently and if so, are they really fussy about the size of carry-ons? I have always taken a bag as my second piece of luggage, but according to the AC site, the second piece now has to be 13x17x6 inches (they show a picture of a laptop bag) and my bag is probably 15 x 13 x 12. So its much wider. Also, my granddaughter wants to take a duffle bag that is certainly longer than the size they say.

In the past, when I had my two pieces of luggage. Leaving Heathrow, coming back, other people had two pieces of luggage and carrier bags with duty free and one guy even had a hockey bag and nobody said anything.

However, I prefer not to check a bag on the way over at least. I am not taking every item of clothing that I own (can't say that for my granddaughter!) because we can do laundry at my sister's.

Anybody got any recent experience?
Old Mar 7th 2009, 7:51 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Air Canada - carry on luggage.

So much depends on the check-in person and how busy is the flight. I have seen people with marginally larger bags being forced to check in the piece and others with obviously larger pieces, being allowed to carry-on.

Last edited by Auld Yin; Mar 7th 2009 at 7:52 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old Mar 7th 2009, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks -- I kind of suspected that was the case!! I like to carry on everything I take with me -- that way when you get to your destination, you are guaranteed that all your luggage has arrived at the same destination!
Old Mar 7th 2009, 8:45 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

The bag you have described is virtually twice the size of what's officially allowed. I would doubt that would escape detection but it's worth a chance. The worst that can happen is you're refused and you're obliged to check it in. If your granddaughter's duffle bag is noticeably longer you may also experience difficulty. A couple of inches may not be noticed, but longer ????? Remember the check-in people do this all the time and can probably spot oversized luggage very easily.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 8:56 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Purley
I am wondering if anyone has flown Air Canada recently and if so, are they really fussy about the size of carry-ons? I have always taken a bag as my second piece of luggage, but according to the AC site, the second piece now has to be 13x17x6 inches (they show a picture of a laptop bag) and my bag is probably 15 x 13 x 12. So its much wider. Also, my granddaughter wants to take a duffle bag that is certainly longer than the size they say.

In the past, when I had my two pieces of luggage. Leaving Heathrow, coming back, other people had two pieces of luggage and carrier bags with duty free and one guy even had a hockey bag and nobody said anything.

However, I prefer not to check a bag on the way over at least. I am not taking every item of clothing that I own (can't say that for my granddaughter!) because we can do laundry at my sister's.

It is much tighter now than it used to be. Even if you get through with it in one direction, no guarantee you'll get it through on the return. Best bet, make sure you are within limits or prepared for checking your bags in.

Part of the reason is the amount and sizes of carry on people would take was ridiculous and caused some safety concerns. Get into some bumpy air and a whole pile of baggage drops on your head, guess who gets the blame, not the passenger who put it there. With cabin space being restricted loose articles have to be stowed under the seat or in the overhead during critical stages of the flight. There is only so much that will fit.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 8:58 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
The bag you have described is virtually twice the size of what's officially allowed. I would doubt that would escape detection but it's worth a chance. The worst that can happen is you're refused and you're obliged to check it in. If your granddaughter's duffle bag is noticeably longer you may also experience difficulty. A couple of inches may not be noticed, but longer ????? Remember the check-in people do this all the time and can probably spot oversized luggage very easily.
If it does not fit into the bag checker, then likely it won't get through. That's why its there. I have seen people jumping on their bags to get them in, then not being able to get them out again!
Old Mar 7th 2009, 10:26 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by The Aviator
If it does not fit into the bag checker, then likely it won't get through. That's why its there. I have seen people jumping on their bags to get them in, then not being able to get them out again!
I would have loved to have seen that. I really don't have too much time for those who don't choose to live by society's rules.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 10:38 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Remember if you are only taking over hand luggage, then you are not allowed to carry over 100ml of gel, liquid or aerosols - these items have to checked in. Likewise, gas-operated heated hair stylers.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks. I am trying to discourage my granddaughter from checking a bag. Its quicker if we don't have to contend with the baggage carousels at Heathrow. If we have to check a bag coming back, that will be fine because we are coming through Calgary and that's not nearly so busy.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 1:57 am
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I am trying to discourage my granddaughter from checking a bag. Its quicker if we don't have to contend with the baggage carousels at Heathrow. If we have to check a bag coming back, that will be fine because we are coming through Calgary and that's not nearly so busy.
It's no big deal checking a bag, just takes a few minutes longer, and you have to wait in line at customs anyway. They have really clamped down on the size of carry-ons in the past year or so. About time too.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 4:25 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Have you thought of sending a bag via parcel post or UPS/FedEx? You have the advantage of being able to track it';s delivery as well.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

I don't think we will actually need to check a bag going over there. Of course my granddaughter wants to buy a load of stuff while she is there - I don't think she realizes how expensive things are. I usually buy a tea towel for a couple of my friends - those scenic ones - just for a memento. Clothes I find are super expensive - but she will discover this when she gets there.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Can any teenager seriously go on a one or two week holiday to the UK without checking in a suitcase? Seriously? Now that is travelling light!!

I could barely get stuff in a carry-on for a weekend away to Edmonton!
Old Mar 8th 2009, 3:16 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think we will actually need to check a bag going over there. Of course my granddaughter wants to buy a load of stuff while she is there - I don't think she realizes how expensive things are. I usually buy a tea towel for a couple of my friends - those scenic ones - just for a memento. Clothes I find are super expensive - but she will discover this when she gets there.
two sides to that one.

Yes you POSSIBLY cant get clothes as cheap over there BUT if we compare 'designer' labels WAY cheaper in the UK. (Here I'm talking Ted Baker, Paul Smith, YSL, D&G etc).

Also lets be serious you buy style in the UK, you (tend to) buy for function in Canada
Old Mar 8th 2009, 3:31 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Last time we dropped our folks off at Calgary Airport (January), the check-in dragons were making every single person put their hand luggage bag in the little hand-luggage bag size checker thingy and then they were putting a tag on the bag if it fit ok to show it was cleared for the cabin.

You may get them on a day like that or they may not be there when you go...its a 50-50 thing!

Good luck
Flossie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.