Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Ah.... Good Old Catholicism

Ah.... Good Old Catholicism

Old Jun 20th 2011, 8:27 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ah.... Good Old Catholicism

Gotta love it
Attached Thumbnails Ah.... Good Old Catholicism-x2_6b54e8e.jpeg  
Old Jun 20th 2011, 8:28 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ah.... Good Old Catholicism

Originally Posted by Tangram
Gotta love it
Is it me or does the plant look like weed?
Old Jun 20th 2011, 8:30 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

boooooooooooooooooooooo
Old Jun 20th 2011, 8:31 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Is it me or does the plant look like weed?
That's why it's going to hell, despite it being God's creation heathen.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 8:32 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta love it
My kids used to get that crap at school, sad innit?
Old Jun 20th 2011, 8:34 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Originally Posted by FlirtyKnickers
My kids used to get that crap at school, sad innit?
Yeah I know what you mean. I was asking a Muslim in work (lapsed) and he was saying that the same shit goes on in that. You have to be some sick puppy to make this crap up like Purgatory and the like.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 8:38 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

So does that mean all animals are damned then? Heaven is dog free?

That doesnt seem right. My kids will be desperately disappointed by that!

My kids go to catholic school, (and are indeed catholic) Nothing like that text seen, even during catechism classes. Its pretty old school!

Last edited by iaink; Jun 20th 2011 at 8:51 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 8:40 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Originally Posted by iaink
So does that mean all animals are damned then? Heaven is dog free?

That doesnt seem right.

My kids go to catholic school, (and are indeed catholic) Nothing like that text seen, even during catechism classes. Its pretty old school!
I believe the shot is from an old Irish Religious book Ian. I'm not sure what happens these days or whether the same ethos is taught.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 8:41 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I know what you mean. I was asking a Muslim in work (lapsed) and he was saying that the same shit goes on in that. You have to be some sick puppy to make this crap up like Purgatory and the like.
I can remember my eldest walking home from school when I was due to pick him up at his classroom, I was frantic looking for him, he was about 5 year old at the time. When I eventually found him and tried to camly ask him why he'd gone without me he said...'' My teacher said I can't get lost, God is always with me and I can't ever get lost'' I bit my tongue until I got him home, then paid the teacher a visit she most likely has never forgotten...bloody idiots, don't they realise kids take this stuff in and they can't tell it's all claptrap!
Old Jun 20th 2011, 8:47 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the shot is from an old Irish Religious book Ian. I'm not sure what happens these days or whether the same ethos is taught.
I figured it might be a bit archaic, but the basic idea that kids should be baptised ASAP or else risk permanent damnation is still part of the catholic cannon I believe. The theory is that only the baptised can enter heaven. Other brands of godbotherers figure baptism without the conscious consent of the recipient is no more than lip service, so they wait. Each to their own I guess.

Eyebrows were raised slightly when we waited 6 months to dunk our youngest. We waited until my brother and his (catholic) wife were able to visit on holiday in order that they could be the Godparents.

I guess, like many articles of faith, it looks pretty bizarre from the outside. I just go with the flow and figure the kids will make their own minds up in time with a bit of prompting, like I did. And if they dont and they grow up with their mothers faith and conviction and the strength and guidance that comes from it, then maybe they will be the better for it.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 8:57 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

I figured it might be a bit archaic, but the basic idea that kids should be baptised ASAP or else risk permanent damnation is still part of the catholic cannon I believe. The theory is that only the baptised can enter heaven. Other brands of godbotherers figure baptism without the conscious consent of the recipient is no more than lip service, so they wait. Each to their own I guess.

Eyebrows were raised slightly when we waited 6 months to dunk our youngest. We waited until my brother and his (catholic) wife were able to visit on holiday in order that they could be the Godparents.

I guess, like many articles of faith, it looks pretty bizarre from the outside. I just go with the flow and figure the kids will make their own minds up in time with a bit of prompting, like I did. And if they dont and they grow up with their mothers faith and conviction and the strength and guidance that comes from it, then maybe they will be the better for it.
I am not "from the outside".
Old Jun 20th 2011, 8:59 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

I figured it might be a bit archaic, but the basic idea that kids should be baptised ASAP or else risk permanent damnation.
Yeah that about sums it up, a load of aul codswallop...

I'm a catholic btw
Old Jun 20th 2011, 9:00 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta love it
I think the missing letters are BS.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 9:07 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by FlirtyKnickers
Yeah that about sums it up, a load of aul codswallop...

I'm a catholic btw
Like a lot of the doctrine. I guess it just piles up over time and people pick and choose what they really want to believe in in this day and age. Thats the impression I get anyway.

#1 Offspring tried to say grace before a meal at the catholic school and they wouldnt let her! I thought it was funny, but it was a bit traumatic for a 5 year old.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 9:08 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

I am not "from the outside".
I consider myself to be on the outside looking in... an interested observer I guess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.