The age old question

Old Feb 17th 2016, 10:22 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The age old question

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I wouldn't mind to living to an old age provided I am in reasonably good health, especially in the brain.

What point is there to living an old age if you end up in hospital bed for 10-15 years not really there with no real clue of what is going on?

I couldn't even try and start to have any reasonable idea of how long I may live, I seem to have gotten at the less desirable genes from both sides health wise....
seeing that you're in your late 30's, would you consider living till age 50 that you've accomplished a milestone?

JS, set the target to 80 like your past family members achieved

BTW, would you consider me 'as old'?

Last edited by not2old; Feb 17th 2016 at 10:27 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 10:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
seeing that you're in your late 30's, would you consider living till age 50 that you've accomplished a milestone?

JS, set the target to 80 like you past family did

If I died at 50, it wouldn't be much of an accomplishment considering how late into life I have started things most start in their 20's.....

From my perspective someone in their 70's is old, not ancient, but certainly old. My parents in their late 50's (58 now) are also what I would consider old, but there are also people who consider me old, all depends how old you are as to what is old...

My sister in laws kid (6) saw my grey in my 4 day old beard and said, " you must be really old and pointed to the grey." but to a 5 year old I would certainly be considered old... For the record I am 8 years younger then her parents are.

At 20, 40 seemed old, at 36, 40 doesn't seem so old anymore.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 10:44 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
My dads side....
My great grandfather on that side....
My uncle on my dads side...
I'm less convinced about this 'side' thing than I was. My mum is 83 next month and her parents went into their 80s while an aunt went into her 90s. Mum still drives, although now recovering from a hip replacement replacement which she managed to dislocate twice.

My dad died at 51 but he had older relatives.

My mother in law is a sprightly 77 and has outlived three daughters who all died of different things over a period of about 8 years. Lost her husband in that period too.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 10:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I'm less convinced about this 'side' thing than I was. My mum is 83 next month and her parents went into their 80s while an aunt went into her 90s. Mum still drives, although now recovering from a hip replacement replacement which she managed to dislocate twice.

My dad died at 51 but he had older relatives.

My mother in law is a sprightly 77 and has outlived three daughters who all died of different things over a period of about 8 years. Lost her husband in that period too.
Of those who died of natural causes, they tended to live over 80. There are just so many non-natural deaths it really skews my family history....
Old Feb 17th 2016, 11:34 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

JS @ post #17 interesting point of view

So back to the thread title

Seems most folks think anyone older than they are are considered 'old'. JS point about being 'ancient' is valid, but only when everyone they know who older than them have died.

Baring any freak accidents, communicable diseases, act god or of war

The guideline predictor or indicator of 'how long you will live' is to look at past family members age of death, have you yourself lived a healthy, fruitful & happy life. Is your outlook positive - do any of you 'the BE members' want to live to 100 years old - I certainly do?
Old Feb 18th 2016, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

How much do these average life expectancy figures change if you take out accidental deaths (car accidents, etc)? Anybody know where to look for figures like that?
Old Feb 18th 2016, 3:43 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

No. You are younger than Springtime it seems.. I thought you were at least 97 and a 1/2 .
Old Feb 18th 2016, 12:12 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

JS @ post #17 interesting point of view

So back to the thread title

Seems most folks think anyone older than they are are considered 'old'. JS point about being 'ancient' is valid, but only when everyone they know who older than them have died.

Baring any freak accidents, communicable diseases, act god or of war

The guideline predictor or indicator of 'how long you will live' is to look at past family members age of death, have you yourself lived a healthy, fruitful & happy life. Is your outlook positive - do any of you 'the BE members' want to live to 100 years old - I certainly do?

I'm benchmarking 120 as 150 is somewhat unrealistic.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 12:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

The guideline predictor or indicator of 'how long you will live' is to look at past family members age of death, have you yourself lived a healthy, fruitful & happy life. Is your outlook positive...
And then, of course, there's The Death Clock - When Am I Going To Die?
Old Feb 18th 2016, 1:26 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by BristolUK
And then, of course, there's The Death Clock - When Am I Going To Die?
you posted that one previously.

When I went through it at that time ... based on my age, non smoker, low BMI & lifestyle, the results weren't too good coming in somewhere in the 73 age range.

Maybe stats Canada as I indicated in my OP use the non scientific 'death clock'

Live life long & prosper

edit: I redid the death clock, my terminal date came in at October 2020

Re-entered a different birth date 10 years later, result was October 2030

entering a birth date of January 1943- result is my time is up this year in 2016

conclusion: the death clock is set to anyone, no matter what age they are, to terminate at age 73

Last edited by not2old; Feb 18th 2016 at 1:54 pm. Reason: edited post
Old Feb 18th 2016, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

you posted that one previously.

When I went through it at that time ... based on my age, non smoker, low BMI & lifestyle, the results weren't too good coming in somewhere in the 73 age range.

Maybe stats Canada as I indicated in my OP use the non scientific 'death clock'

Live life long & prosper

edit: I redid the death clock, my terminal date came in at October 2020

Re-entered a different birth date 10 years later, result was October 2030

entering a birth date of January 1943- result is my time is up this year in 2016

conclusion: the death clock is set to anyone, no matter what age they are, to terminate at age 73

I wish. According to that thing I don't have long to go. If I hadn't clicked pessimistic the first time I certainly would now. Better get started on the bucket list , I haven't got long.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Agree. I am a 51 yar old male, non smoker with a BMI of 24 and it said i'm going to croak when I'm 73. No questions about history of disease in immediate family, where I live, job, hobbies, exercise, amount I drink, amount I drive etc.

It is a fluff website. About as deep as a Daily Mail article.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 2:50 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
It is a fluff website.
The fun part is when it says you already snuffed it.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 11:28 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Statistically, someone who has reached 65 must have a higher life expectancy than the general population.
On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 11:32 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.
Very Keynesian.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.