Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

AC plane has a hard landing in Halifax

AC plane has a hard landing in Halifax

Old Mar 29th 2015, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default AC plane has a hard landing in Halifax

......... and "exits the runway"

No major injuries reported ..................

but the plane tore a wing off when it hit a power pole, and the airport was without power for some time.

RCMP reported that road conditions were bad at the the time, with blowing snow, and snow plows having problems
Old Mar 29th 2015, 5:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AC plane has a hard landing in Halifax

Good that there doesn't appear to be any serious injuries. I've never been on a plane that ran off or exited the runway on landing, but I have seen a plane do it and it's scary thing to see, cannot imagine experiencing it on the plane.

BREAKING: Air Canada Plane Crashes on Runway at Halifax Airport | Globalnews.ca

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...ries-1.3013979

I do find it odd the 11pm news had little on this incident, they literally just spent 20 seconds on it, no actual report. Global Vancouver local news. Didn't even report it until 15 mins into the broadcast.

Photo from twitter:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CBPnAbDXIAAC3Td.jpg

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 29th 2015 at 7:01 am.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

no, we've never been on a plane that skidded off the runway

I heard it on the 10 pm radio news, and then Googled

it seems to have been on twitter and other social media 15-20 minutes before the airport or AC announced anything!
Old Mar 29th 2015, 7:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
no, we've never been on a plane that skidded off the runway

I heard it on the 10 pm radio news, and then Googled

it seems to have been on twitter and other social media 15-20 minutes before the airport or AC announced anything!
I don't follow twitter, and nobody on FB posted anything, wasn't til I saw it here that I knew, turned the news on to see if they had any info but they didn't report on it other then to say it happened.

But the national news here is outdated by the time it airs, and the local news isn't the best when looking for national news stuff.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 9:15 am
Account Closed

This is a good example of why it's best to leave your shoes on, and when flying to Canada to a region covered in snow and cold weather, don't fly in summer clothes.

Everybody was able to get out, but what was worse was that they left us for an hour outside in the blowing snow. I mean, we’re all freezing and we’re looking and going, ‘Why isn’t anybody coming to get us?’" said passenger Lianne Clark.

The CBC's Carolyn Ray says that passengers told her they were very cold, especially given that some were in shorts because they were coming from southern destinations and some had taken off their shoes while on the plane."
Old Mar 29th 2015, 11:12 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Reported by AC and YHZ airport as a hard landing under control. Judging by the pics that are emerging "crash" would be a more appropriate term. Good news that there are only minor injuries. And yes, I always put my shoes on before the approach and would never fly in just shorts and a t shirt in Canada in winter!
Old Mar 29th 2015, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

I don't take my shoes off when we're on a plane, no matter how long the trip.

I now also travel in my usual clothes .............. long skirt and top .......... I find those much more comfortable.

I never have travelled on a plane in shorts ............ don't like the itchy back of the legs which I used to get on upholstered seats (or sticking to plastic seats)

In a way, I'm not surprised they had to wait so long ......... there was a blizzard on, roads were bad, and I'm pretty sure that airport would not have had enough buses just sitting waiting there
Old Mar 29th 2015, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Reported by AC and YHZ airport as a hard landing under control. Judging by the pics that are emerging "crash" would be a more appropriate term. Good news that there are only minor injuries. And yes, I always put my shoes on before the approach and would never fly in just shorts and a t shirt in Canada in winter!
I'd agree too that "crash" is probably more suitable

Attached Thumbnails AC plane has a hard landing in Halifax-16779026680_5ef0fa261e_z.jpg  
Old Mar 29th 2015, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

AV Herald is reporting that the plane landed short of the runway

Accident: Air Canada A320 at Halifax on Mar 29th 2015, touched down short of runway
Old Mar 29th 2015, 6:35 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Minor, quick buff with a rag and be in the air this time tmw.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

that airport is quite something .................... I don't how many of you have flown through there?

We must have had at least 20 trips to and from Halifax by plane since 1999, and maybe 6 or 8 before that.

The previous airport was beset by big weather problems, mainly fog. So the powers-that-be set about finding somewhere to build a new airport ................ all manner of studies over several years in the late 1950s showed that a certain area about 34 km outside Halifax had the least fog.

So, that site near Kelly Lake was selected, all the trees cleared, and the airport built. It opened in 1960 ....................... only for there to be more problems with fog than at the previous airport.

Flying into Halifax Stanfield is always a bit of a "will we, won't we, be held up" ........ fog any time of the year, blizzards in either Halifax or Toronto in the winter ..............

and it most definitely is not one that I would fly into wearing shorts and flip flops in winter
Old Mar 29th 2015, 7:52 pm
Account Closed

The debate on CBC seems to be over terminology. Hard landing vs crash, seems to have caused quite the drama over on CBC comment section.

Seems to me if the plane actually did hit power lines prior that it was more then just a hard landing.

Looking at the photos, lucky that everyone walked away without major injuries. Had to be very scary for those on board.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

I've just been talking to my daughter, who lives near Halifax.

She hadn't heard about the plane "hard landing" .............. they don't have TV or radio. Her husband doesn't like listening to bad news ............. she usually catches up on things on her computer at work.

She did say the blizzard last night was worse than they had been expecting. She had to take a babysitter home at around 9 pm, and it was quite hairy
Old Mar 29th 2015, 8:20 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
She had to take a babysitter home at around 9 pm, and it was quite hairy
A hairy babysitter
Old Mar 29th 2015, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.