Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

About to Move Help!!!!

About to Move Help!!!!

Old Jul 20th 2012, 3:47 am
Just Joined

KindaXena will become famous soon enoughKindaXena will become famous soon enough
Default About to Move Help!!!!

We are about to move to Montreal. My husbands taken a job there (games industry). I don't know the details yet because he only just accepted the job. We only found out last week we were going lol We live in Blairgowrie in Scotland but I'm a kiwi. We have 2 boys under 4. We are really excited. Can anyone tell me the best rental agents to find a place (we get put up for 2 months so I will need to find a place quick) also the areas to avoid. What if your on repeat prescriptions? and hubby wants to know about driver license. He will need to drive there, how does it work. can he use his UK one (he's Scottish) for a bit or need to change right away? Ive been doing some research and it looks amazing. Are there any pitfalls or warnings we need to know before we go or after we get there? Ive been in the UK 12 years so Im kind of looking forward to the change. Its getting diabolical here.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 6:26 am
Banned

wonderwoman1st is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: About to Move Help!!!!

I think you will get more responses in the Canada part of this forum under Immigration. I can't speak for Montreal specifically as I haven't been there yet for a visit, but as a whole you can use your UK license for the first 3 or 6 months over here is my understanding. So yes, initially he can. Just get clued up on the rules of the road and driving over here first as it is somewhat different to the UK way of driving, e.g. you can still go through a red light and turn right if no cars are coming through the green lights the other way, you still have to stop and look first, physically stop not drive slowly through. Same at stop signs, you still have to stop at them even if no one is coming it's illegal to do otherwise, before you turn or carry on driving after looking.
Be worth doing a practice driving test with a driving instructor to get a feel for driving over here after reading the rules of the road etc, that is my advice in any case, and is what I did after a Canadian friend let me drive his car to get a feel for it all while he dictated to me, I remember not trusting him telling me to turn right and drive through the red light at first as it's not what we do in the U.K.

As for the other qu's on renting. Google is a good place to start, search for apartments or homes to rent in Montreal, that should work, and Kijiji.ca over here is a good site too.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 6:27 am
Banned

It's a knowledge test, and a seperate driving test after passing the Knowledge test generally speaking to get the Canadian driving license in the province you intend to live in.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 12:09 am
Just Joined

KindaXena will become famous soon enoughKindaXena will become famous soon enough

Oh that's a big help, thank you so much. I'm so glad I found this site.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 1:13 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

The driving licence exchange programme is different per province. For Quebec you can exchange a british licence without doing the driving test portion. See here:

http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/driver...ents_other.php

As for finding rental places have a look at:

www.kijiji.ca
www.mls.ca
Old Jul 21st 2012, 2:39 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

How exciting!

My son was recently in Montreal for a holiday and loved it, so much so he is even considering moving there.

You can also look at www.padmapper.com for rentals.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 5:53 am
Banned

Lots of rules differ from Province to Province, it's similar to the US in that way, as the laws differ from state to state.

My Nurse registration would process in Ontario fast if I had remained active in BC as an RN, but as I didn't for not living there now they won't process it fast but are treating me as an International applicant instead and take a year to process it.

Alberta however, will do it regardless if still active or if previously registered in another province, hence my faster move to Alberta than I would have - likely next year, for the long term.

There are many slight differences or big differences to what happens in one province to another, and some similarities too.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 6:08 am
Just Joined

From what I understand my husband is allowed there in three months once his visa is fast tracked and can work until his visa is done. I will be a sponsored spouse I think but don't quote me. I'm leaving all that up to my husband and the company. I'm assuming our two boys would just be dependents as well. It's so complicated but we should be there in a couple of months. They are putting us up in a place for three months so it gives me time to look for our own place. I'm getting so excited I can hardly breath lol I'm a kiwi and all he needs to work in NZ or OZ is let them know he's married to me and after two years of working my husband and boys can stay automatically indefinitely but the trouble is, I'm not interested in going back and the games industry is virtually non existant there if not uncertain. I just can't wait to get going. Our eldest boy who is 3 and a half is even getting excited. Lol your so lucky being where you are. Britain has become so sad. There is so much sadness here now.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 6:12 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KindaXena
We are about to move to Montreal. My husbands taken a job there (games industry).
There is a sometime forum member by the name of Kleinluka who came to Canada to work in the games industry in Montreal.

Perhaps its worth getting in touch with him. I think he was from Germany originally if memory serves...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/member.php?u=26572
Old Jul 25th 2012, 5:28 am
Banned

From what I understand my husband is allowed there in three months once his visa is fast tracked and can work until his visa is done. I will be a sponsored spouse I think but don't quote me. I'm leaving all that up to my husband and the company. I'm assuming our two boys would just be dependents as well. It's so complicated but we should be there in a couple of months. They are putting us up in a place for three months so it gives me time to look for our own place. I'm getting so excited I can hardly breath lol I'm a kiwi and all he needs to work in NZ or OZ is let them know he's married to me and after two years of working my husband and boys can stay automatically indefinitely but the trouble is, I'm not interested in going back and the games industry is virtually non existant there if not uncertain. I just can't wait to get going. Our eldest boy who is 3 and a half is even getting excited. Lol your so lucky being where you are. Britain has become so sad. There is so much sadness here now.
You are right on that last part, my parents when they visit me over here are always saying how stressful living in the UK is nowadays, everyone is stressed, however, they won't move over here as they are settled and where they live is relaxing at least in North Norfolk near the beaches, and they have their other Grandchildren back in the UK, one here in Canada (my Son).

Yes family members can be sponsored over, so if your husband is a permanent resident at least, it can be done for sure.

Good luck with it all.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 5:55 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wonderwoman1st

Yes family members can be sponsored over, so if your husband is a permanent resident at least, it can be done for sure.

Good luck with it all.
It does take a VERY long time however, often in excess of 5 years for parents, and thats assuming no medical issues.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 6:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

There is currently a 2 year pause on sponsorship for family members (parents & grandparents).

To prevent the build-up of an unmanageable number of new applications during these consultations and to further reduce the 165,000-strong backlog of parent and grandparent applicants, CIC is putting in place a temporary pause of up to 24 months on the acceptance of new sponsorship applications for parents and grandparents. The pause comes into effect on November 5, 2011.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...2011-11-04.asp
Old Dec 5th 2012, 4:58 am
Just Joined

Hi all, well don't things change quickly? We got asked to move the company to Newfoundland so that is where we are going. I have hardly any time to pack up here in Scotland. Can anyone tell me about Newfoundland. I hear it's beautiful and as everything you need there, is this true? I was bouncing off the walls to get to Montreal because it's mainland but now I'm slightly frightened. But still excited because it's still Canada. My bestfriend lives in Michigan and he said it's a short ferry ride to the mainland. It is a place called St Johns we are moving to. Any heads up would be good because we will be there before Spring.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 5:04 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

he said it's a short ferry ride to the mainland. It is a place called St Johns we are moving to.
It's a day's drive to the ferry and then several hours on it (to North Sydney), there are other ferries but they take even longer. Newfoundland has a lot going for it but easy access to anywhere else isn't one of them.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 5:39 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

The best/easiest way on and off the island is by air and even then you would probably need to change flights for most places in the USA. Be prepared for a somewhat severe climate although in summertime it can be spectacular.
As dbd points out ferry to mainland then driving to destination can be long and grueling.
The island has become much more prosperous in the past few years because of oil discovery in the offshore fields.