British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   99% sure....... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/99%25-sure-429200/)

Alberta_Rose Feb 21st 2007 12:43 am

99% sure.......

My lil lad has glandular fever, known as "Mono" here!

Nearly 2 weeks since he became ill, at last we have persuaded his doc it is NOT flu, and had blood tests and get the results tomorrow, .... but today he has developed the classic "throat" so I am pretty sure the tests will be positive.

He thinks I'm mad to be pleased, but when I think of all the things it might have been ......

willmore Feb 21st 2007 12:45 am

Re: 99% sure.......

Originally Posted by Morwenna (Post 4435592)

Nearly 2 weeks since he became ill, at last we have persuaded his doc it is NOT flu, and had blood tests and get the results tomorrow, .... but today he has developed the classic "throat" so I am pretty sure the tests will be positive.

He thinks I'm mad to be pleased, but when I think of all the things it might have been ......

I hope he feels better soon. It is scary though to see your child ill, and not know conclusively what it is, until you get the results.

Thoughts are with you and your lad. Give him a big hug and kiss for me.

Alberta_Rose Feb 21st 2007 12:52 am

Originally Posted by willmore (Post 4435602)
I hope he feels better soon. It is scary though to see your child ill, and not know conclusively what it is, until you get the results.

Thoughts are with you and your lad. Give him a big hug and kiss for me.

Eugghhh no ...... no kissing! :p

Thanks for the kind thoughts. It's rotten being a health professional/parent, as you know all the things it might be, and then you never know whether you are over-reacting or under-reacting!

I was sure it wasn't flu, but it took three trips to the doc to even get bloods taken! ... and that was only because his spleen was getting painful.

I was telling somebody at work, and a doctor overheard today and remarked "it's just as well he has somebody to advocate for him!"
It makes you wonder how many people with less knowledge might sit back and let their kids get ill with lymphomas etc, because the docs don't pick stuff up....... :/

willmore Feb 21st 2007 12:55 am

Originally Posted by Morwenna (Post 4435621)
Eugghhh no ...... no kissing! :p

Thanks for the kind thoughts. It's rotten being a health professional/parent, as you know all the things it might be, and then you never know whether you are over-reacting or under-reacting!

I was sure it wasn't flu, but it took three trips to the doc to even get bloods taken! ... and that was only because his spleen was getting painful.

Ah he's at the no kissing stage is he.....PMSL.;)

My two are still young enough that we can kiss and get kissed back!

Thinking about you and your lad. Hope he's well soon!

Nite now.

Novocastrian Feb 21st 2007 2:09 am

Originally Posted by willmore (Post 4435631)
Ah he's at the no kissing stage is he.....PMSL.;)

My two are still young enough that we can kiss and get kissed back!

Thinking about you and your lad. Hope he's well soon!

Nite now.

That (kissing) is usually how you get mono you know. It ain't called the student's disease for nothing.

Mountain Girl Feb 21st 2007 3:12 am

I glad you have some answers. Mono ah? bit strange innit?

Mono what ? mono boarder? ;)

I hope he's feeling better soon and I am relieved you have piece of mind.

Messorius Feb 21st 2007 4:40 am

Mononucleosis. Nasty stuff. Hides for weeks, you can be sick with it for months, and sometimes it can even relapse and make you sick all over again. I had a coworker lie about having it and had an entire week of work derailed and spent 5 hours in the ER waiting for a swab. Beware the spit! :p I hope he feels better soon.

Alberta_Rose Feb 21st 2007 4:45 am

Originally Posted by Messorius (Post 4436079)
Mononucleosis. Beware the spit! :p

THAT is why I said no kissing! ..... not because he objects! :ohmy:

Alberta_Rose Feb 21st 2007 4:48 am

Apparently they call it mononucleosis in north America because of the increased number of mononucleocytes (?) in the bloodstream fighting the disease.

The rest of the civilised world calls it glandular fever. ;)

Messorius Feb 21st 2007 4:48 am

Originally Posted by Morwenna (Post 4436087)
THAT is why I said no kissing! ..... not because he objects! :ohmy:

No kissing, no sharing that straw, no licking your sister (my friend had fun with THAT one and her kids) :rofl:

Calgal Feb 21st 2007 5:31 am

Awww wishing him a speedy recovery, Morwenna. How miserable for him, and stressful for you.

printer Feb 21st 2007 8:06 am

Nasty illness, hope he feels better soon. My son had it quite a while back and was quite ill for ages, it seemed to be a long time before he was finally back to his normal self. (argumentitive, miserable, stroppy, know it all etc..)

ann m Feb 21st 2007 3:57 pm

Hope he feels better soon - it does linger on, doesn't it - and at least your mind can stop wandering off onto wierd and wonderful diseases now Mo!

I had it just before O levels (showing my age now!) - and it was a few months before I felt normal again - if I can call myself normal now :p (and I also blame it for lack of A grades too !! )

Piff Poff Feb 21st 2007 10:09 pm

Morwenna, I hope your son feels better soon. My Stepson had a bout a couple of years ago my daughter thought he had angela fever:D

Alberta_Rose Feb 22nd 2007 1:07 am

Thanks everybody.

Had the positive blood tests confirmed today, and also that he has some hepatitis thrown in for good measure! :ohmy:

He actually looks a LOT better this evening, but c/o feeling weak as a kitten and out of breath when he walks upstairs.

He reckons he could go back to school tomorrow ...... shows the depth of his boredom at home eh?

The doctor said "you really were ill weren't you!" Silly man. Why did he think I'd take him back three times?? If it had been "the flu" I think we might have coped with that at home. :blink:

Never mind, we got there in the end. :)