Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

8 out of 10 jobs will require post secondary education?

Wikiposts

8 out of 10 jobs will require post secondary education?

Old Nov 25th 2015, 8:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 8 out of 10 jobs will require post secondary education?

Unless highly skilled, Canada is not the land of opportunity thats for sure.

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
This is where I question the "doing the best thing for our kids bringing them to Canada" argument.

I also think the day/ block release that Germany excels at is a key part of their success. And totally at odds with the American model.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 8:56 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
This. In spades.

Universities and Colleges continue to sell the myth of training = Job success, when patently, in some fields, there are too many newly minted graduates chasing too fewer opportunities. Teaching is a prime example of this.
How is it any different from present day education/work balance in the UK?
Old Nov 25th 2015, 9:14 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
There was an ad today on FB from the province advertising their Work BC services, and the headline was " 8 out of 10 jobs by the end of the decade will require post secondary education." They didn't specify where they got the numbers from.

I couldn't find anything regarding Canada, but found a few sources from the US that say 65% of jobs in the US by 2020 will require some sort of post secondary education, not necessarily a degree though.

Maybe this is why it's getting so hard to find a job...

What do you all think, will it be that high in a mere 4 years?

Looking at the provincial stats for the Lower Mainland/Southwest BC which includes Metro Vancouver, Fraser Valley, Sunshine coast, and Squamish-Whistler-Pemberton-Lillooet. region. Bit of a large area include them all into 1, but tis the way they do it.

Anyhow majority of jobs 63% will be from retiring workers, and 37% will be new jobs created by economic activity.

Vast majority of jobs 82% will be in some sort of services, 18% are related to goods.

Top careers for the region are apparently:

Mine service workers and operators in oil and gas drilling

Underground miners, oil and gas drillers and related occupations

Contractors and supervisors, mining, oil and gas

Managers in natural resources production and fishing

Optometrists, chiropractors and other health diagnosing and treating professionals

I am not sure there is much a future in this area...... No idea where mines and miners would even work in this region, but this is what the province claims to be the in demand jobs.

Info all obtained from workbc.ca
This is the full document
http://www.workbc.ca/WorkBC/files/5f...75ca7448b7.pdf
Old Nov 25th 2015, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Means Canada might do that in 20 years...lol

Canadian employers are obsessed with degrees, certificates and diplomas.
Originally Posted by beckiwoo
The thing that bothers me about this is not having to get a degree in itself. Its the fact that for the specific field/job, really, that I want to be in (Information Systems administrator, or sysadmin for short) does not have a degree. You have to have a degree to even get past the HR filter for most places, but the degree is usually unrelated to the job. So people who want to go into this specific niche of IT (and I wouldnt even call it a niche - if you don't have sysadmins, your systems are not running!) are stuck with paying money for a degree that doesn't teach them the skills they need to work the job, then having to find alternate routes of getting experience/certifications in the job, so you basically have to work at a "real" degree, and also learn about your field / get experience on the side.

Add in being like me and wanting to GTFO to Europe as soon as I graduate, with no networking or help from the university in terms of placement unless its within Canada, things are a little difficult.

The Canadian education rigamarole is fine if you want to stay in Canada. But if you want to get out, it seems its considerably harder to be seen as "relevant" to European employers.

The other option of course is to do a 2 year college program and do 2-4 years of bottom level helpdesk stuff, before being able to move up, which nets less $ per annum in the long term, as a degreed employee will mostly always earn more and have more opportunities to move up the ladder.

Last edited by Gozit; Nov 25th 2015 at 10:01 am.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 9:59 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

2 out of 10 jobs don't need a post secondary education is t that a good thing?
Old Nov 25th 2015, 11:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
2 out of 10 jobs don't need a post secondary education is t that a good thing?
Not really. Those jobs are going to be low paying and no capable of supporting an adult

Problem is not everyone is capable of attaining a degree and are considered unemployable by the companies who insist on higher education when a lot of those jobs which require a degree dont need one nor have a relevant degree so its just any old degree.

Such is life in Canada.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 11:57 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Unless highly skilled, Canada is not the land of opportunity thats for sure.
That's horribly negative. I've never had the opportunity to gain a degree, or a highly skilled certification in anything, but I'm far better off here than I was in the UK.

Work for yourself, then you're the master of your own destiny and not beholden to qualifications and petty minded employers.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 12:05 pm

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Not really. Those jobs are going to be low paying and no capable of supporting an adult

Problem is not everyone is capable of attaining a degree and are considered unemployable by the companies who insist on higher education when a lot of those jobs which require a degree dont need one nor have a relevant degree so its just any old degree.

Such is life in Canada.
No degree here either, as u can tell by my written English, just ambitious enough to push my way into the investigative business. If u want it then go get it !!
Old Nov 25th 2015, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

Unless something changes in the employment world 20 years and change of being told I need a degree by employers kind of does that to a person and its only getting harder.

Nothing to indicate employers are going to change.

You need a talent or skill to be self employed or a lot of money. Only type of bussiness we could do is retail but its high risk and high start up and wouldnt even know what type to do that would make money.

Attitudes are shaped by what we experience in life and employers have made it loud and clear they want degrees or a certificate to get anything decent paying which is all I want. 35k or 40k would do it. Not looking for 6 figures.

Originally Posted by R I C H
That's horribly negative. I've never had the opportunity to gain a degree, or a highly skilled certification in anything, but I'm far better off here than I was in the UK.

Work for yourself, then you're the master of your own destiny and not beholden to qualifications and petty minded employers.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 12:29 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Such is life in Canada.
It can become a self fulfilling prophecy! I know of a multimillonaire businessman who cannot read or write. I don't have a degree, it was never a problem. Plenty of successful people with no degree in business and employees.

Talking yourself down keeps you down. Negativity in an individuals personalty also comes across in an interview, it is easy to spot and can be a deterrant to an employer.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 12:32 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Unless something changes in the employment world 20 years and change of being told I need a degree by employers kind of does that to a person and its only getting harder.

Nothing to indicate employers are going to change.
Don't wait for them to change, be proactive and do something for yourself.

You need a talent or skill to be self employed or a lot of money. Only type of bussiness we could do is retail but its high risk and high start up and wouldnt even know what type to do that would make money.
Sorry Jsmith, but that's just defeatist BS. I didn't have have a lot of money or special skills or talent, just some common sense and determination. A willingness to work hard and not be restricted by your own conventions.

Attitudes are shaped by what we experience in life and employers have made it loud and clear they want degrees or a certificate to get anything decent paying which is all I want. 35k or 40k would do it. Not looking for 6 figures.
I've earned close to six figures here as an employee, with no degree. It's far from impossible.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 12:40 pm

You need a talent or skill to be self employed or a lot of money.
You do, an idea, a positive attitude, ingenuity, willing to take a chance, be highly motivated and a tad of good fortune thrown in.

As for a lot of money, many businesses have started on a shoestring or the founder has sought out investors who have the money.

The more you say you can't do it, the more likley you are going to be right about yourself!
Old Nov 25th 2015, 12:56 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
No degree here either, as u can tell by my written English, just ambitious enough to push my way into the investigative business. If u want it then go get it !!
You're okay though. You can do that eyebrow thing.

Old Nov 25th 2015, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK
You're okay though. You can do that eyebrow thing.

http://i.imgur.com/9yqyF6b.gif
Lol, that's a skill I am still working on
Old Nov 25th 2015, 1:19 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I think a lot of you are missing the point. There is a difference between specific training and an educational experience in university, especially when you're young. Students are exposed to a variety of influences and situations, they experience and react to them in an environment that is relatively free from reactionary forces. And while I agree, there is an increasing tilt towards credentialism, the value of a degree should not be cynically disgarded.

And yes I'm fully aware that I'm poo pooing cynicism in this instance. 😊

Last edited by Oink; Nov 25th 2015 at 1:23 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.