Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

8 out of 10 jobs will require post secondary education?

Wikiposts

8 out of 10 jobs will require post secondary education?

Old Nov 24th 2015, 2:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default 8 out of 10 jobs will require post secondary education?

There was an ad today on FB from the province advertising their Work BC services, and the headline was " 8 out of 10 jobs by the end of the decade will require post secondary education." They didn't specify where they got the numbers from.

I couldn't find anything regarding Canada, but found a few sources from the US that say 65% of jobs in the US by 2020 will require some sort of post secondary education, not necessarily a degree though.

Maybe this is why it's getting so hard to find a job...

What do you all think, will it be that high in a mere 4 years?

Looking at the provincial stats for the Lower Mainland/Southwest BC which includes Metro Vancouver, Fraser Valley, Sunshine coast, and Squamish-Whistler-Pemberton-Lillooet. region. Bit of a large area include them all into 1, but tis the way they do it.

Anyhow majority of jobs 63% will be from retiring workers, and 37% will be new jobs created by economic activity.

Vast majority of jobs 82% will be in some sort of services, 18% are related to goods.

Top careers for the region are apparently:

Mine service workers and operators in oil and gas drilling

Underground miners, oil and gas drillers and related occupations

Contractors and supervisors, mining, oil and gas

Managers in natural resources production and fishing

Optometrists, chiropractors and other health diagnosing and treating professionals

I am not sure there is much a future in this area...... No idea where mines and miners would even work in this region, but this is what the province claims to be the in demand jobs.

Info all obtained from workbc.ca
Old Nov 24th 2015, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 8 out of 10 jobs will require post secondary education?

Meanwhile, one of the big UK accountancy firms recently said they no longer take account of degree results when assessing applicants, because they found no relation between degrees and business success...
Old Nov 24th 2015, 2:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
Meanwhile, one of the big UK accountancy firms recently said they no longer take account of degree results when assessing applicants, because they found no relation between degrees and business success...
Means Canada might do that in 20 years...lol

Canadian employers are obsessed with degrees, certificates and diplomas.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 5:49 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

Old Nov 24th 2015, 6:25 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I think the greater worry is that many jobs will be computer automated in a decade or two. Western economies are sleepwalking into massive structural unemployment.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

There was an ad today on FB from the province advertising their Work BC services, and the headline was " 8 out of 10 jobs by the end of the decade will require post secondary education." They didn't specify where they got the numbers from. I couldn't find anything regarding Canada, but found a few sources from the US that say 65% of jobs in the US by 2020 will require some sort of post secondary education, not necessarily a degree though. Maybe this is why it's getting so hard to find a job... What do you all think, will it be that high in a mere 4 years? Looking at the provincial stats for the Lower Mainland/Southwest BC which includes Metro Vancouver, Fraser Valley, Sunshine coast, and Squamish-Whistler-Pemberton-Lillooet. region. Bit of a large area include them all into 1, but tis the way they do it. Anyhow majority of jobs 63% will be from retiring workers, and 37% will be new jobs created by economic activity. Vast majority of jobs 82% will be in some sort of services, 18% are related to goods. Top careers for the region are apparently: Mine service workers and operators in oil and gas drilling Underground miners, oil and gas drillers and related occupations Contractors and supervisors, mining, oil and gas Managers in natural resources production and fishing Optometrists, chiropractors and other health diagnosing and treating professionals I am not sure there is much a future in this area...... No idea where mines and miners would even work in this region, but this is what the province claims to be the in demand jobs. Info all obtained from workbc.ca
It really depends on the job sector and of course you'll need post secondary education in certain fields, however this is also a bit misleading. Are we talking about universities, because in Germany most people who leave school would do their Ausbildung, so visit a vocational school (not a university). It doesn't matter if you are in a warehouse, shop, hotel, you usually do your Ausbildung, which would be a few days work and a few days school. I work for an IT company and although they ask for a degree in the job description, 80% of the people don't have one, or come from a different field. The people who might be clever on paper, actually struggle with the basics (customer service etc.).
Old Nov 24th 2015, 7:32 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Shard
I think the greater worry is that many jobs will be computer automated in a decade or two. Western economies are sleepwalking into massive structural unemployment.
Yup. I don't see Canada or the US and others being capable of keeping everyone employed, and kind of concerning since I am not keen on the idea of having to barter and trade for things...lol
Old Nov 25th 2015, 2:26 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Means Canada might do that in 20 years...lol

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
I know too many Canadians with two degrees. It's kind of scary.

Education is a massive industry in Canada.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 2:48 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
I know too many Canadians with two degrees. It's kind of scary.

Education is a massive industry in Canada.
This. In spades.

Universities and Colleges continue to sell the myth of training = Job success, when patently, in some fields, there are too many newly minted graduates chasing too fewer opportunities. Teaching is a prime example of this.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 3:13 am
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

This is where I question the "doing the best thing for our kids bringing them to Canada" argument.

I also think the day/ block release that Germany excels at is a key part of their success. And totally at odds with the American model.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Staggering numbers of jobs have been automated away over the last few decades. For example, I watched a documentary from the 50s a while back about the way a bill was paid, from the customer writing the cheque, to the post office sorting the letter, to the bank updating their records... and all of those people in that documentary have now been replaced by a web page.

Yet we're a long way from running out of things for people to do.

I do agree, though, that employment is going away. It was a temporary aberration in the history of the human race, when industrial production required thousands of people to turn up at a factory at the same time every day and do the same thing they've done for the last ten years. The future will see a return to self-sufficiency as production is automated and localized.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 3:35 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
I also think the day/ block release that Germany excels at is a key part of their success. And totally at odds with the American model.
Is that like what I did back in the 70s? Day release? Bristol South Tech College.

My work colleagues were a bit jealous that as an under 18 I could go to college for a day a week and get 5 days pay for 4 days work. Like a day off they thought.

I suppose they weren't far wrong with a relaxed 7 hour day including lunch hour and two breaks compared to a busy 8.5 hours with lunch break only.

We did have homework though.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 5:06 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Bollocks.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 6:08 am
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Is that like what I did back in the 70s? Day release? Bristol South Tech College. http://emoticoner.com/files/emoticon...ie4-smiley.gif

My work colleagues were a bit jealous that as an under 18 I could go to college for a day a week and get 5 days pay for 4 days work. Like a day off they thought.

I suppose they weren't far wrong with a relaxed 7 hour day including lunch hour and two breaks compared to a busy 8.5 hours with lunch break only.

We did have homework though.
That's the fella. The pay was so low I don't think the 20% time off came into it.

I also recall we did on paper a 9-8:30, though the lecturers were usually so keen to scarper at 8 it was better than it sounded.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 8:41 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
This is where I question the "doing the best thing for our kids bringing them to Canada" argument.

I suppose it depends on what you're children want to do surely.... There are some jobs that will always be required and those jobs invariably will require education in the form of at least a degree.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.