British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   79 Chemin Fraser (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/79-chemin-fraser-939665/)

Shard Jul 21st 2021 11:16 pm

79 Chemin Fraser

Looks like a bit of a monstrosity on that street, but surprised that Gatineau wants it demolished (given that it was their error).

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/judge-orders-aylmer-mansion-demolished-1.6110841

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 22nd 2021 4:28 am

Re: 79 Chemin Fraser

Doesn't sound like the city wanted it torn down.

"In his decision the judge pointed out the city, which had asked the court not to demolish the home, offered no alternative solutions."

Since it has been built and exists, and doesn't appear to be unsafe, it's really a waste of time, energy, money, and resources to tear it down.

Shard Jul 22nd 2021 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13031851)
Doesn't sound like the city wanted it torn down.

"In his decision the judge pointed out the city, which had asked the court not to demolish the home, offered no alternative solutions."

Since it has been built and exists, and doesn't appear to be unsafe, it's really a waste of time, energy, money, and resources to tear it down.

Good point. :lol: So it's just the friendly neighbors then !

Partially discharged Jul 22nd 2021 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 13031875)
Good point. :lol: So it's just the friendly neighbors then !

I'm sure any City employees won't have any real reprimand. I deal with the City of Ottawa daily and colleagues of mine have dealt with the Ville D'Gatineau. The Ville D'Gatineau made some grave mistakes in dealings with my colleagues and the response was 'oh sorry.' It cost my colleagues clients about $100 K and they requested a reduction in fees paid to the Ville and got nowhere. This doesn't surprise me about the Ville D'Gatineau. Home builders routinely sell houses to people with no building permits as the permit process is so backed up and delayed. Buyer beware.

Shard Jul 22nd 2021 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 13031965)
I'm sure any City employees won't have any real reprimand. I deal with the City of Ottawa daily and colleagues of mine have dealt with the Ville D'Gatineau. The Ville D'Gatineau made some grave mistakes in dealings with my colleagues and the response was 'oh sorry.' It cost my colleagues clients about $100 K and they requested a reduction in fees paid to the Ville and got nowhere. This doesn't surprise me about the Ville D'Gatineau. Home builders routinely sell houses to people with no building permits as the permit process is so backed up and delayed. Buyer beware.

It does sound fairly slack !

We used to have a BE correspondent from Gatineau, nice guy, can't for the life of me remember his name ?

BristolUK Jul 22nd 2021 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 13031994)

We used to have a BE correspondent from Gatineau, nice guy, can't for the life of me remember his name ?

Look to the Canniversary section for a reminder ;)

Partially discharged Jul 22nd 2021 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 13031994)
It does sound fairly slack !

Souvy. He lived about 10 km away in a totally different 'world'. The area where this is located is right up against the Ottawa River in what was probably a cottage type community that grew. A relatively Anglo area of Gatineau. The closest pub is called the British Hotel which pre gentrification was a great place to get free dental work and served the finest cinquante a la pression that money could buy.

Shard Jul 22nd 2021 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 13031997)
Souvy. He lived about 10 km away in a totally different 'world'. The area where this is located is right up against the Ottawa River in what was probably a cottage type community that grew. A relatively Anglo area of Gatineau. The closest pub is called the British Hotel which pre gentrification was a great place to get free dental work and served the finest cinquante a la pression that money could buy.

Oh yeah Monsieur Souvy :thumbup:

Never been to Ottawa region.

Shard Jul 22nd 2021 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13031996)
Look to the Canniversary section for a reminder ;)

A good tip. :)