7000 cops... really?

Old Jun 11th 2014, 2:53 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7000 cops... really?

Originally Posted by colchar
Did you see the pictures of that poor police dog jumping up to sniff his master's scent from his stetson that was being carried by another officer? Heartbreaking.
I agree.

I read that dogs get confused because they pick up the scent, so they understand that the person is there, but don't understand 'death'. So for them, the person is around, but the dog can't find them. It's really heartbreaking.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 3:28 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
But as I stated before, you see this type of grand spectacle at organized crime or gang funerals. You've all seen the rows and rows of limousines with all those massive wreaths on top and all the mafia bosses, gangsters and associates "showing respect." I find parallels between a police funeral are quite striking.
It's exactly like that when you think about it.

Originally Posted by rae
Well you had as your title as cop hater or something similar until very recently Alan.
dboy called me that once, but he got banned. That was my own little memorial to the death of his account.

I don't actually hate cops at all. The worst you can accuse me of is not trusting them. Having a police force is like having wolves guard your livestock. Yes, they keep the coyotes away sometimes, but they'll help themselves if you don't keep a close eye on them.

Originally Posted by rae
Lots of people are not murdered every day though because of the job they do, or because of the office they represent.
I really don't see how this makes it any different or more tragic.

Originally Posted by rae
I was responding specifically to what the OP ascertained, from an EPS perspective.
I then further commented that it was unnecessary generally to bring this up from such a slanted viewpoint. I stand to be corrected, but I don't remember a thread complaining about military funerals. My point being, it is more about not liking the cops than public expense, thinly veiled.
Nothing disrespectful or emotional about that.
Well, traditionally that thread is on the 11th November. And I doubt that harper would bother to turn up for every kid that comes back dead from some middle eastern shit hole that he sent them to in the first place.

-

The fact that the authorities seem to be busy creating the narrative that it's not tax-payers paying for this implies to me that they actually do think most people would disagree with the way this has been managed. I'd love to see the actual bill - I bet it ran into millions what with harper being there.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 3:31 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
I agree.

I read that dogs get confused because they pick up the scent, so they understand that the person is there, but don't understand 'death'. So for them, the person is around, but the dog can't find them. It's really heartbreaking.
Maybe he was hungry?
Old Jun 11th 2014, 3:36 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I did feel sorry for that dog. But really wtf was it doing there? It doesn't understand what's going on and showing the dog the hat that smelled of it's owner was just tormenting it. Good photo-op for the mawkies though.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Air Canada is being accused of gouging officers on the cost of fares to Moncton:

Air Canada fights back against Moncton funeral gouging complaints | Toronto Star

That pretty much shoots down the OP's assertion that we were somehow paying for their travel.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 6:35 pm

They seem to be desperate to point out that it's not tax money being spent. I reckon they know it was a bit over-the-top and are just getting ahead of that criticism. Gotta control that message.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 6:49 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
My point being, it is more about not liking the cops than public expense, thinly veiled.
Most people want to believe that stuff about the police being public servants rather than instruments of state control but these sorts of images make the former assertion rather doubtful.

Last edited by Oink; Jun 11th 2014 at 6:53 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 7:42 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of interest did the police ever actually make any arrests or charge anyone over the Vancouver Riots?

I think gun related deaths should be expensed to gun owners by way of a tax every year. Number of deaths multiplied by X amount of dollars multiplied by gun owners with additional tax for people who have more than one weapon.

I view police as a necessary evil. If they even look at me the wrong way though I'm ready to litigate.

There we are some thread drifters.

Last edited by JamesM; Jun 11th 2014 at 7:45 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Just out of interest did the police ever actually make any arrests or charge anyone over the Vancouver Riots?

I think gun related deaths should be expensed to gun owners by way of a tax every year. Number of deaths multiplied by X amount of dollars multiplied by gun owners with additional tax for people who have more than one weapon.

I view police as a necessary evil. If they even look at me the wrong way though I'm ready to litigate.

There we are some thread drifters.
They're almost done!..

Five more suspects charged in relation to the Stanley Cup riot, three years after the city ignited

Vancouver Stanley Cup riot investigation almost complete, almost 300 now charged
Old Jun 12th 2014, 12:12 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
dboy called me that once, but he got banned. That was my own little memorial to the death of his account.

Fair enough, just pointing out that you had that as your title so without that explanation who would know?

The worst you can accuse me of is not trusting them.

I would not accuse you of anything, what you think and feel is up to you for whatever reason you may have, matters not to me.

Having a police force is like having wolves guard your livestock. Yes, they keep the coyotes away sometimes, but they'll help themselves if you don't keep a close eye on them.

I think that is the most ridiculous analogy I have ever heard. I would not try to categorically state all cops are wonderful because clearly they are not, but this intimates a constant threat to the public by the police in general, instead of the usual odd bad apple that every single profession in the world has.

I really don't see how this makes it any different or more tragic.

This is obvious to anyone with any ounce of compassion or humanity and is just deliberately insulting to try to state otherwise. Someone falling to their death while at work is completely different to someone being thrown to their death purposely just because someone did not like them.

Well, traditionally that thread is on the 11th November. And I doubt that harper would bother to turn up for every kid that comes back dead from some middle eastern shit hole that he sent them to in the first place.

This does not address the point that there are no threads complaining about money spent moving soldiers around the country to attend these funerals.

The fact that the authorities seem to be busy creating the narrative that it's not tax-payers paying for this implies to me that they actually do think most people would disagree with the way this has been managed. I'd love to see the actual bill - I bet it ran into millions what with harper being there.
I'm not sure where this last bit comes from, before you raised it I was not aware of anyone running a story complaining about money spent or complaints generally.
Old Jun 12th 2014, 12:20 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Most people want to believe that stuff about the police being public servants rather than instruments of state control but these sorts of images make the former assertion rather doubtful.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/mobil...size=mobile290

http://i.cbc.ca/1.2059257.1381895867...ancouver-2.jpg

http://www.ngnews.ca/media/photos/un...02/article.jpg
" it was started to have debate about the expenses and the spectacle of the public service."
Yet you yourself are now talking about state control and showing pictures of armoured vehicles.

Why don't we just call it as it is, this is a police bashing thread disguised, quite disgustingly as something else. You know what though that is fine, some people don't like the cops and some of them have very valid reasons for not liking them. Some police have done terrible things and we all now have to wear that forever, we are our own worst enemy. It is the job we do and I accept it, just don't start talking about public money being spent on police funerals then show pictures of armoured cars and tell me it's just not plain anti-police sentiment. It is not 1960 anymore and anyone who would like to come on a ride along with me to experience it first hand, with no equipment to protect yourself of course, feel free, I am easy to find.
Old Jun 12th 2014, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by rae
" it was started to have debate about the expenses and the spectacle of the public service."
Yet you yourself are now talking about state control and showing pictures of armoured vehicles.

Why don't we just call it as it is, this is a police bashing thread disguised, quite disgustingly as something else. You know what though that is fine, some people don't like the cops and some of them have very valid reasons for not liking them. Some police have done terrible things and we all now have to wear that forever, we are our own worst enemy. It is the job we do and I accept it, just don't start talking about public money being spent on police funerals then show pictures of armoured cars and tell me it's just not plain anti-police sentiment. It is not 1960 anymore and anyone who would like to come on a ride along with me to experience it first hand, with no equipment to protect yourself of course, feel free, I am easy to find.
Mild thread drift is fine, reactionary personal attacks are another (not that I'm suggesting you engaged in the later). Plus, its not really a police-bashing thread, its more of questioning the dominant line and posing other perspectives.

Secondly, can I have a ride in your armoured personal carrier?
Old Jun 12th 2014, 12:59 am
rae
Settled.

Mild thread drift is fine, reactionary personal attacks are another (not that I'm suggesting you engaged in the later). Plus, its not really a police-bashing thread, its more of questioning the dominant line and posing other perspectives.

Secondly, can I have a ride in your armoured personal carrier?
I would like a go myself!
I would not say though that police domination has been raised before now, simply a suggestion of public funds being misused is how I see it, which is a reasonable and fair question.
Personally I think the general public expects events of this nature to take place, and that there will be an associated cost involved. I think it is to the credit, not detriment, of all those attending that they paid their own way and took time off to do so, again at their own cost.
Old Jun 12th 2014, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by rae
I'm not sure where this last bit comes from, before you raised it I was not aware of anyone running a story complaining about money spent or complaints generally.
Well, you know how it is. Turns out coppers might be paying their way, so I thought I'd have a go at them from another angle. What with me hating them and all
Old Jun 12th 2014, 1:28 am
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Well, you know how it is. Turns out coppers might be paying their way, so I thought I'd have a go at them from another angle. What with me hating them and all
I am actually all for police transparency and think we do quite a good job here, I like how the Chief is selected by a civilian mixed panel of local community representatives, and that there are several independent police bodies locally that review police actions and investigations. I am not saying it is perfect or catches everything but it is better than nothing I suppose. Public trust is THE most important thing to me, not APC's, guns, dogs, helicopters etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.