7000 cops... really?

Old Jun 11th 2014, 3:37 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7000 cops... really?

I cannot even begin to imagine the pain of a young pregnant mother who has lost her husband and child's father...who in heavens name cares if it marks the occasion in an appropriate manner?
Old Jun 11th 2014, 4:52 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
3 officers attended from EPS, on their own time, not compensated, flights I believe covered through our association which we all pay into, no public funds. I can't speak for all officers obviously, but I should imagine this would be the situation for most if not all of them.

There are several provisions in place for family members caught in such tragic circumstances, they will be well cared for whether a large or small funeral took place.

Ultimately 3 people have died tragically and suddenly, I despair at situations like this being hijacked by police haters. If you don't like the police for whatever reason that's fine and your right, but I don't see the need for the poison to spill into this domain.
I don't hate cops - I just don't like the thought that cops should get special treatment. They are just people doing a job for money. Lots of people die tragically and suddenly everyday after all.

Last edited by Alan2005; Jun 11th 2014 at 4:55 am.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 4:54 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Bloody immigrants coming over here and moaning about Canadian culture.

If you don't like the way that Canada honours Police officers killed in the line of duty, then fack off back to where you came from and honour their system instead.

I couldn't give a rats arse how much the funeral cost, police officers hold a unique place of trust and respect within Canadian society. It comes not as a surprise, therefore, that when a police officer dies he or she is paid special respect and honour and the funeral service is conducted with tradition and ceremony.
Originally Posted by rae
3 officers attended from EPS, on their own time, not compensated, flights I believe covered through our association which we all pay into, no public funds. I can't speak for all officers obviously, but I should imagine this would be the situation for most if not all of them.

There are several provisions in place for family members caught in such tragic circumstances, they will be well cared for whether a large or small funeral took place.

Ultimately 3 people have died tragically and suddenly, I despair at situations like this being hijacked by police haters. If you don't like the police for whatever reason that's fine and your right, but I don't see the need for the poison to spill into this domain.

Fine, but as I said before, this wasn't a memorial type thread, it was started to have debate about the expenses and the spectacle of the public service. There seem many on here though that aren't able to grasp the concept of rational discussion. It would be one thing if the thread had been hijacked but it hasn't. Questions like the OPs need to be asked and debated. If you can't engage in respectful discussion or the topic is too emotional for you to discuss without resorting to personal abuse, then don't contribute. Or maybe start your own sympathy thread.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 5:03 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I don't hate cops - I just don't like the thought that cops should get special treatment. They are just people doing a job for money. Lots of people die tragically and suddenly everyday after all.
But as I stated before, you see this type of grand spectacle at organized crime or gang funerals. You've all seen the rows and rows of limousines with all those massive wreaths on top and all the mafia bosses, gangsters and associates "showing respect." I find parallels between a police funeral are quite striking.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 7:12 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Well you had as your title as cop hater or something similar until very recently Alan.
You are right, lots of people do die tragically and suddenly every day. Lots of people are not murdered every day though because of the job they do, or because of the office they represent.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 7:18 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Fine, but as I said before, this wasn't a memorial type thread, it was started to have debate about the expenses and the spectacle of the public service. There seem many on here though that aren't able to grasp the concept of rational discussion. It would be one thing if the thread had been hijacked but it hasn't. Questions like the OPs need to be asked and debated. If you can't engage in respectful discussion or the topic is too emotional for you to discuss without resorting to personal abuse, then don't contribute. Or maybe start your own sympathy thread.
I was responding specifically to what the OP ascertained, from an EPS perspective.
I then further commented that it was unnecessary generally to bring this up from such a slanted viewpoint. I stand to be corrected, but I don't remember a thread complaining about military funerals. My point being, it is more about not liking the cops than public expense, thinly veiled.
Nothing disrespectful or emotional about that.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 12:46 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

I heard on the radio yesterday morning that the ones who flew from Toronto all paid for their flights themselves, it didn't come from the taxpayer. The only one there was a question about was Police Chief Bill Blair. Everyone else paid their own way.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

It may be reasonable (if not very compassionate) to have the debate but even in elementary school my kids are taught to support their debate points with evidence. To make accusations, and refuse to accept/ignore information provided by people who have experience of these situations, or work for organisations involved is not a debate, it's just a rant.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Who's paying for those 7000 cops to go to those regimental funerals. That's right us. Knowing coppers, I bet everything is free and that they will be paid for the time they are there or they wouldn't go.

If we really must waste millions of dollars, then instead of the usual mawkish displays of uniform worship that they seem to love here why not give something to the families instead. I'm sure that poor woman with the young kid expecting another could do with a few bob now.

Its like any type of organization that derives power from physical force, be it the police, military or organized crime groups, they always have an over-the-top display of mourning and solidarity to demonstrate they're still a viable power. I agree, a low-key memorial with the extra money going to the families would have been far more respectful.

Old Jun 11th 2014, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I feel that the OP posted in such a way to invoke outrage but I do happen to agree with his general tone and the poster who followed your post.....What does it really achieve flying 1000's of officers across the country to a funeral.? A donation/trust fund to the affected families and those officers who knew the victims attending the funeralwould be more appropriate.

There are trust funds.

As for who pays their way - their unions do out of the union dues they pay (well technically it is illegal for them to belong to unions so their 'associations' pay). And, as shown on CTV News last night, some of those in attendance paid their own way there.

What happens in these cases when the affected families don't want all the media attention and just want a quiet service?

They can request that and their wishes will be honoured.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yeah, sure they will. There was a charity bike ride that some RCMP did around here - turns out they all got paid while they was on it. Basically, show me the receipts or I don't believe you.

And I don't believe you that they were paid to do a bike ride. You made the claim, let's see you prove it.

I think you'll probably find that they didn't take vacation.

First, you have absolutely nothing on which to base that claim. Second, have you never heard of days off?

You seem to have a hard-on for the cops - did you get a big speeding ticket or something?

(I assume none of the 7000 are from the US as the reports claim they are RCMP)
You are either completely ignorant or are willfully ignoring the facts that are readily available. There were tons of officers from the US there (police and border services agents as I specifically saw the border services shoulder badges) and they were shown on TV newscasts. There were also officers from Australia there, who were shown on newscasts as well.

Hell, scroll down on this page and you will see a couple of them being interviewed:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.1861014

Last edited by colchar; Jun 11th 2014 at 2:28 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
It may be reasonable (if not very compassionate) to have the debate but even in elementary school my kids are taught to support their debate points with evidence. To make accusations, and refuse to accept/ignore information provided by people who have experience of these situations, or work for organisations involved is not a debate, it's just a rant.
If you go and read the OP's opening post there was the introduction of the topic, a series of hypothetical questions followed by a propositional argument. Now this isn't the Oxford Union, its an informal internet forum. My objection, that any discussion of a sensitive topic seems to make reactionary perspectives either call for and end of the discussion or to make personal attacks.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 2:28 pm

I really hope you have more constructive answers when you have to defend your thesis.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anyway I disagree. I think that if you distill my point to it's core essence many people will actually agree with me.
I highly doubt that.

Give the families a bit of cash instead - I wouldn't begrudge them it.

They do get money - are you so ridiculously uninformed that you do not realize this? They get a pension due to the officer's death. They get also get a death benefit. In addition to those, trust funds have been set up at the police credit union and anyone who wishes to can donate to those trust funds. In light of your advocating that the families be given money will you be donating to those trust funds? Somehow I doubt you will.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Shirtback
This coverage, along with other links I've seen, is incredibly moving.

Did you see the pictures of that poor police dog jumping up to sniff his master's scent from his stetson that was being carried by another officer? Heartbreaking.

I'm not a fan of police forces in general

I am not much of a fan of the police either but think the OP's comments are ignorant as he is clearly using this as an opportunity to take jabs at the police (but I bet he'd sure as hell be the first to call them if he ever needed them!).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.