Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

5-pin bowling in Canada

Wikiposts

5-pin bowling in Canada

Old Jan 19th 2010, 5:19 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default 5-pin bowling in Canada

In an effort to fully experience all the marvels of Canada I was thinking about planning a 5-pin bowling outing. But this is a daunting endeavor, as I've never done it before. Has anybody done it? Is it easier or harder than 10-pin bowling? Is it an enjoyable experience?
Old Jan 19th 2010, 5:25 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5-pin bowling in Canada

Originally Posted by Oink
In an effort to fully experience all the marvels of Canada I was thinking about planning a 5-pin bowling outing. But this is a daunting endeavor, as I've never done it before. Has anybody done it? Is it easier or harder than 10-pin bowling? Is it an enjoyable experience?
Its easier...the ball is lighter and more hand sized (good for kids too), but its also harder as the pins are spaced far enough apart that you can miss through the middle...

You also get three balls per rack IIRC....

Why not give it a go...nothing to lose right? The computer will take care of the scoring. Most bowling centers Ive been to here (granted, not a wide sample) have both five and ten pin aisles
Old Jan 19th 2010, 5:31 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Its easier...the ball is lighter and more hand sized (good for kids too), but its also harder as the pins are spaced far enough apart that you can miss through the middle...

You also get three balls per rack IIRC....

Why not give it a go...nothing to lose right? The computer will take care of the scoring. Most bowling centers Ive been to here (granted, not a wide sample) have both five and ten pin aisles
I realize all the usual suspects on here will have a field-day with this, but I do like the idea of the smaller balls as the larger ones you have to put your fingers in always seem too heavy and uncontrollable.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 5:37 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I'd never seen 5-pin bowling before I got here. But, as iaink said, the ball is smaller and lighter, making it good for kids and those who don't have rippling forearms like Popeye.

It's more like old British pub skittles.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 5:44 am
Almost there...

Pincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud of

I realize all the usual suspects on here will have a field-day with this, but I do like the idea of the smaller balls as the larger ones you have to put your fingers in always seem too heavy and uncontrollable.
I find my big fat sausage fingers always get stuck in the holes!!!
Old Jan 19th 2010, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I'd never seen 5-pin bowling before I got here. But, as iaink said, the ball is smaller and lighter, making it good for kids and those who don't have rippling forearms like Popeye.

It's more like old British pub skittles.
My only concern is the lack of pins, as iaink said, the balls can get through the holes. My guess, by looking at the alley, is that you have to give it some wellie to knock them all down.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 6:06 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

My only concern is the lack of pins, as iaink said, the balls can get through the holes. My guess, by looking at the alley, is that you have to give it some wellie to knock them all down.
When you watch the experts do it its all about spinning the ball and altering the angle of attack on the lead pin so it spins off and takes out a couple of the others
Old Jan 19th 2010, 9:28 am

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
When you watch the experts do it its all about spinning the ball and altering the angle of attack on the lead pin so it spins off and takes out a couple of the others
Sounds like i am not playing with you now

Must admit my kids love 5 pin rather than 10 pin........
Me i'd rather have the WII game, i get 100 pin on there
Old Jan 19th 2010, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Friend of mine rented a whole alley for his birthday party. It was all 5 pin.

Suffice to say after about 20 mins we were all rather bored. 5 pin is much less satisfying, there's less sound, it's more luck than skill and good shots are just underwealming.

So we started being rather silly and rolling multiple balls down at once. I don't think the staff were too keen
Old Jan 21st 2010, 8:23 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

No idea - but can I come
Old Jan 21st 2010, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
No idea - but can I come
Of course.
I'd like to try curling as well, I'm sure you can play it with a bit more dignity than you see on the television.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 8:52 am
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

...Poof!
Old Jan 21st 2010, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by bsmith
...Poof!
Its not a matter of sexual orientation, rather some of us are cursed with glandular challenges that restrict our sporting endeavors to less strenuous pursuits.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 9:10 am
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Its not a matter of sexual orientation, rather some of us are cursed with glandular challenges that restrict our sporting endeavors to less strenuous pursuits.
...fat poof!
Old Jan 21st 2010, 9:18 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Crib is a good game in that case?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.