Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

49 year old and madly into heavy metal, thrash and classic rock

49 year old and madly into heavy metal, thrash and classic rock

Old Dec 12th 2011, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

YJMalmsteen has a reputation beyond reputeYJMalmsteen has a reputation beyond reputeYJMalmsteen has a reputation beyond reputeYJMalmsteen has a reputation beyond reputeYJMalmsteen has a reputation beyond reputeYJMalmsteen has a reputation beyond reputeYJMalmsteen has a reputation beyond reputeYJMalmsteen has a reputation beyond reputeYJMalmsteen has a reputation beyond reputeYJMalmsteen has a reputation beyond reputeYJMalmsteen has a reputation beyond repute
Default 49 year old and madly into heavy metal, thrash and classic rock

Hi guys,

I am 50 in January, have been playing guitar since I was 15 and am very much still into loud, guitar based music, from Van Halen to Limp Bizkit to Stevie Ray Vaughan to Mastadon to ...... Etc. OK so far?

Now the issue is I am a professional person in a responsible job, have an academic background and therefore feel as though I should be listening to Opera, Classical music and read Shakespeare and such sensible detritus.

Bollocks to that, I say!!

So ..... Is there anyone out there who gets the comments "oh, you can't still like that, can you" or whose kids are embarrassed that you are still into this music??

Haha!
Jim
Old Dec 12th 2011, 6:25 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 49 year old and madly into heavy metal, thrash and classic rock

I nominate this post for the 2012 "Tommy Saxondale" Award.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 6:28 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YJMalmsteen
Hi guys,

I am 50 in January, have been playing guitar since I was 15 and am very much still into loud, guitar based music, from Van Halen to Limp Bizkit to Stevie Ray Vaughan to Mastadon to ...... Etc. OK so far?

Now the issue is I am a professional person in a responsible job, have an academic background and therefore feel as though I should be listening to Opera, Classical music and read Shakespeare and such sensible detritus.

So ..... Is there anyone out there who gets the comments "oh, you can't still like that, can you" or whose kids are embarrassed that you are still into this music??

Haha!
Jim
No. Although as I've been to Burning Man every year since 2008, and I'm old enough to have grey hair and wrinkles, I possibly qualify.

Last time the parents were here my Mum took the other half aside and asked him if he could gently sway me away from going.

What she fails to know or appreciate is that he actually works there for two weeks a year....

Last edited by Pretty Flowers; Dec 12th 2011 at 6:29 pm. Reason: To try to make some sense...
Old Dec 12th 2011, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

I'm approaching mid 50's and still prefer good old rock.

Was disappointed by my first outside rock concert earlier in the year (Jane's Addiction), the big fence separating the drinkers from the rest, so us with kids were forced to the front
Old Dec 12th 2011, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The OP could consider a trip to Regina, Winnipeg or Calgary to see what cultural and sensible detritus those places have to offer
Old Dec 12th 2011, 6:53 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

Haha!
Jim

I think in Canada its mandatory for males to into all that heavy rock stuff. Most of them haven't even got over grunge stage yet.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 7:25 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I think in Canada its mandatory for males to into all that heavy rock stuff. Most of them haven't even got over grunge stage yet.
Grunge. What's that ? I'm still with The Rolling Stones and 60s stuff.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 7:33 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Hey, Alice in Chains is one of the most under appreciated bands of all time. Got me wrong, down in a hole, would?, man in the box, etc,.....
Old Dec 12th 2011, 9:26 pm
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see how can one can deny the music they up listening to because of some perceived idea of being too old for it. You can't change who you are....People now in their seventies were listening to the Doors and Neil Young, if they were at all hip to what was going on.

I grew up on British new wave and industrial music and I'm 43...*shrugs*
Old Dec 13th 2011, 1:11 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bleepedy Bloops
I don't see how can one can deny the music they up listening to because of some perceived idea of being too old for it.
That and the simpleton notion that the latest or most recent music being pushed on you is suppose to be the proper shit to listen to as it is "newer" lol.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

"You can't always get what you want, you can't always get what you want, but you find sometimes, you get what you need"

Or, in the words of 'Fluff'.(Saturday Rock show, Circa early 70's) ....Rock on....

(64 on Wednesday)......

Last edited by macadian; Dec 13th 2011 at 2:41 am.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 3:15 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Last gig I went to was Foo Fighters at Rogers Arena on 25th October.
Before that, Motorhead at Derby Assembly Rooms

If Lemmy can still do it at his age, why can't I?
I am only a spring chicken at 42
Old Dec 13th 2011, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
Last gig I went to was Foo Fighters at Rogers Arena on 25th October.
Before that, Motorhead at Derby Assembly Rooms

If Lemmy can still do it at his age, why can't I?
I am only a spring chicken at 42
The last one we went to in the UK was the Foo fighters in Hyde Park, the one where Brian May and Roger Taylor joined them on stage. The highlights for me were the support bands, Motorhead (with Lemmy wearing his Gucci sunglasses) and Queen's of the Stone Age.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 4:29 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
That and the simpleton notion that the latest or most recent music being pushed on you is suppose to be the proper shit to listen to as it is "newer" lol.
What that music is art and its interesting listening and experiencing new and different representations rather than hashing up hackneyed has beens?
Old Dec 13th 2011, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

There does seem to be a trend of bands that haven't been around for 15, 20, 25 years to reform and do one last tour, and album, and merchandise run.

Hey, even old rock stars need an income

Any music I've liked over my time on this planet I would still listen to today.... apart from that phase I went through in the 90's listening to rave music. With the exception of the odd one or two songs (if that label ever applied to any of that stuff) I would never listen to that stuff again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.