Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

49 year old and madly into heavy metal, thrash and classic rock

49 year old and madly into heavy metal, thrash and classic rock

Old Dec 13th 2011, 2:14 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 49 year old and madly into heavy metal, thrash and classic rock

Originally Posted by PeterF
The last one we went to in the UK was the Foo fighters in Hyde Park, the one where Brian May and Roger Taylor joined them on stage. The highlights for me were the support bands, Motorhead (with Lemmy wearing his Gucci sunglasses) and Queen's of the Stone Age.
Wanted to go to that but was unsure whether I would be in Canada or not when the tickets went on sale.
Love QOTSA!
Originally Posted by chrisparr

Any music I've liked over my time on this planet I would still listen to today.... apart from that phase I went through in the 90's listening to rave music.
But you got better....
Old Dec 13th 2011, 2:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

One of the many problems with life in Canada is that the radio plays only the music described in the header. Honeymoon Suite, Styx, Eric Carmen and April Wine seem never to die and the appalling Rush peddle their facist gibberish relentlessly. The OP will find that the furnishings suit the music, he can groom his mutton chops while standing on an irridescent shag carpet. The rest of us eagerly await the arrival of the Sex Pistols in Canada.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 2:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
One of the many problems with life in Canada is that the radio plays only the music described in the header. Honeymoon Suite, Styx, Eric Carmen and April Wine seem never to die and the appalling Rush peddle their facist gibberish relentlessly. The OP will find that the furnishings suit the music, he can groom his mutton chops while standing on an irridescent shag carpet. The rest of us eagerly await the arrival of the Sex Pistols in Canada.
Or Slade, The Bay City Rollers do perform over here but not the originals, The Sweet, Showaddywaddy etc etc oh boy do we have something to look forward to
Old Dec 13th 2011, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

YJMalmsteen has a reputation beyond reputeYJMalmsteen has a reputation beyond reputeYJMalmsteen has a reputation beyond reputeYJMalmsteen has a reputation beyond reputeYJMalmsteen has a reputation beyond reputeYJMalmsteen has a reputation beyond reputeYJMalmsteen has a reputation beyond reputeYJMalmsteen has a reputation beyond reputeYJMalmsteen has a reputation beyond reputeYJMalmsteen has a reputation beyond reputeYJMalmsteen has a reputation beyond repute

Again you get the wrong end of the stick and misread comments (as in others I have read). I was an original punk in 77 and saw the Pistols live a few times. I love all guitar based rock music and in my last band we started the set with Anarchy followed by Pretty Vacant! I love it!
Old Dec 13th 2011, 2:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YJMalmsteen
Again you get the wrong end of the stick and misread comments (as in others I have read). I was an original punk in 77 and saw the Pistols live a few times. I love all guitar based rock music and in my last band we started the set with Anarchy followed by Pretty Vacant! I love it!
But was that in Canada?
Old Dec 13th 2011, 2:43 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think dbd33 has misinterpreted you.
I think he is just pointing out the lag in musical progress between the UK and Canada.
Also the almost total lack of rebellious spirit in the music on the radio here.
No upsetting anyone is allowed.
They won't even play Dire Straits "Money for Nothing" because of the word "faggot" in the lyrics (no bad thing avoiding that song in my book but as an example), even though that song is supposed to be ironic, so the Sex Pistols won't get a look in!!
Rock is sanitised here, really. Lots of stuff like the Eagles gets played on the radio, I find, but not much hard stuff. OK for driving background noise if you have chatty passengers but not serious listening.
I listen to UK radio on the internet for rock.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 2:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by helcat12
I listen to UK radio on the internet for rock.
Sirius also works. Recently I've heard such diverse sounds as Donna Summer's I Feel Love, Sylver's Forgiven and DJ Sammy's Heaven (the acoustic version so there's not actually any DJ Sammy but I suppose he gets a royalty). Satellite is much more cool and modern than terrestial.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 2:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Actually to be pedantic the ruling on the Dire Straits Money for Nothing was overturned and left to individual stations as to play the original or sanitized version
Old Dec 13th 2011, 2:52 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Up here there are only 2 radio stations that we can receive... "Country 93.3 - Today's Country for Fort McMurray" and "K-Rock 100.5 - Classic Killer Rock".

In my truck there is a guy from Tennessee and a guy from Ontario. It's like the Cuban Missile Crisis every day...
Old Dec 13th 2011, 2:53 pm
Island life at last

Sirius also works. Recently I've heard such diverse sounds as Donna Summer's I Feel Love, Sylver's Forgiven and DJ Sammy's Heaven (the acoustic version so there's not actually any DJ Sammy but I suppose he gets a royalty). Satellite is much more cool and modern than terrestial.
I'll try that.
I have a particular liking for Planet Rock's "Nights with Alice Cooper" show, where he plays some much less common stuff. He is so funny as a DJ and his music selection is great for a change.
My usual listen is RealXS (which used to be 106.1 Rock Radio)
http://www.realradioxs.co.uk/music
which is broadcast from Manchester and has a great general selection of rock music - this morning I have heard Muse, Iron Maiden, Led Zepp, Tom Petty and there is Motorhead and The Cult on the way.
Their DJs are also pretty good - Sweens and Dewsbury in the morning are funny and Moose (who coincidentally is a Canadian!) is also amusing.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 2:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Up here there are only 2 radio stations that we can receive... "Country 93.3 - Today's Country for Fort McMurray" and "K-Rock 100.5 - Classic Killer Rock".

In my truck there is a guy from Tennessee and a guy from Ontario. It's like the Cuban Missile Crisis every day...
What there are no Newfie radio stations playing such classics as Ise the Boy
and Shores of Newfoundland or any Great Big Sea dirges
Old Dec 13th 2011, 2:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I'll try that.
I have a particular liking for Planet Rock's "Nights with Alice Cooper" show, where he plays some much less common stuff. He is so funny as a DJ and his music selection is great for a change.
My usual listen is RealXS (which used to be 106.1 Rock Radio)
http://www.realradioxs.co.uk/music
which is broadcast from Manchester and has a great general selection of rock music - this morning I have heard Muse, Iron Maiden, Led Zepp, Tom Petty and there is Motorhead and The Cult on the way.
Their DJs are also pretty good - Sweens and Dewsbury in the morning are funny and Moose (who coincidentally is a Canadian!) is also amusing.
To be serious for a moment, have a listen to Bob Dylan's show (yes, that Bob Dylan), he offers a Charlie Gillettesque hodge podge - and you can't get higher praise than that.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

But you got better....
Some would say that's a matter of opinion
Old Dec 13th 2011, 3:06 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty

So you have realy good ear plug's

What brand do you buy??
Old Dec 13th 2011, 3:19 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

So ..... Is there anyone out there who gets the comments "oh, you can't still like that, can you" or whose kids are embarrassed that you are still into this music??

Haha!
Jim
Given the vintage of the musical styles you list you are exactly the age that will like that stuff. Was never a fan myself, but I know what you mean about modern music. Today's so-called "rock" is performed by a bunch of pretentious scruffy emo's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.