Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

2020 - movies seen this year

2020 - movies seen this year

Old Nov 17th 2021, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 - movies seen this year

Originally Posted by Danny B
I watched the latest James Bond the other night - No time to die. I thought it was good.
I am a huge James Bond fan, thought Daniel Craig was the best Bond to date... but got to be honest I was dissapointed with No Time to Die.... I walked out of the cinema feeling pretty flat and depressed! lol I am not sure what the future holds for Bond now...with all the woke BS

If they decide to continue, please do not mess around with the character of James Bond and what Ian Fleming intended him to be. If they want to do that, create another character.... even a spin off MI6 agent to create a character who they want... but leave the character of James Bond the 007 moniker well alone!

Thats my two penneth any way....we shall see I guess.
Old Nov 17th 2021, 11:07 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
.with all the woke BS
Do you fear that he'll be obliged to drive a hybrid?
Old Nov 17th 2021, 1:13 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I am a huge James Bond fan, thought Daniel Craig was the best Bond to date... but got to be honest I was dissapointed with No Time to Die.... I walked out of the cinema feeling pretty flat and depressed! lol I am not sure what the future holds for Bond now...with all the woke BS

If they decide to continue, please do not mess around with the character of James Bond and what Ian Fleming intended him to be. If they want to do that, create another character.... even a spin off MI6 agent to create a character who they want... but leave the character of James Bond the 007 moniker well alone!

Thats my two penneth any way....we shall see I guess.
I presume you're happy enough for Bond films to be set in the current times, see him playing with modern gadgets and so on. Do you think a modern-day James Bond would or should still have 1953 attitudes? I don't think Fleming would have considered a woman - Judi Dench - for playing "M". Are you against that?
Old Nov 17th 2021, 3:39 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Hybrid? do me a favour. He needs to be all electric in the next movie.

Have you watched the new Marvel "Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings" yet? They drive an all electric BMW iX3.
Old Nov 17th 2021, 4:21 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I am a huge James Bond fan, thought Daniel Craig was the best Bond to date... ... I am not sure what the future holds for Bond now...with all the woke BS
Interesting that you (like me) consider Craig to be the best 'Bond' so far.

He's the only one to have immediately treated women as capable as he is; he's the only one to have really loved; the only one to have cried; happy enough to have a woman boss (although Brosnan did too).
Charlie Higson, the author of the Young Bond novels, says Daniel Craig – who plays cinema’s most famous spy for the fifth and final time in upcoming film No Time to Die – has “given us woke 007, who’s tender, cries and gets into the shower in his tuxedo to comfort a woman”.
So allowing for this inappropriate, hijacking of the term woke, you consider it BS but you believe the most 'woke' has been the best one.

You seem a bit mixed up.
Old Nov 17th 2021, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I presume you're happy enough for Bond films to be set in the current times, see him playing with modern gadgets and so on. Do you think a modern-day James Bond would or should still have 1953 attitudes? I don't think Fleming would have considered a woman - Judi Dench - for playing "M". Are you against that?
Well.... I think its all about subtle changes to stay relevant with the modern times while staying true to the past. I don't think M being played by a woman is directly altering or ruining the actual Bond character, as it happens I think Judi Dench was an excellent M... the best in my opinion...it was a real shame they killed off her character, ironically she even referred to Bond as a "mysoginstic dinosaur" in Goldeneye... which was a great touch. Fleming didn't imagine M as a woman because as you say it was unheard of in 1953 but these are the subtle changes that should be made to stay relevant with the modern world, just don't radically change the actual character the movie is about, and what has made it one of the most successful and longest running franchises to date.

Part of the appeal that draws audiences to the James Bond movies is the character he is.... a man with a traumatic past, orphaned at a young age, sent to boarding school, who as a result develops into a dark ruthless assassin (for the good of course) with a devil may care attitude who hasn't got a lot of feelings for anything or anyone.

In my opinion if they deviate form this too much its not James Bond anymore, and this is not what people want to see.

Old Nov 17th 2021, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Interesting that you (like me) consider Craig to be the best 'Bond' so far.

He's the only one to have immediately treated women as capable as he is; he's the only one to have really loved; the only one to have cried; happy enough to have a woman boss (although Brosnan did too).

So allowing for this inappropriate, hijacking of the term woke, you consider it BS but you believe the most 'woke' has been the best one.

You seem a bit mixed up.

The best Bond movie was Skyfall hands down. As I said I was dissapointed with No time to die.... I felt very flat after watching it.
Old Nov 17th 2021, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
Well it was bad enough he had to drive BMWs especially the Z3 and the 750.... poor Brosnan, his version of Bond didn't deserve that!

Aston Martin all the way, nothing else.
Old Nov 17th 2021, 4:59 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Part of the appeal that draws audiences to the James Bond movies is the character he is.... a man with a traumatic past, orphaned at a young age, sent to boarding school, who as a result develops into a dark ruthless assassin (for the good of course) with a devil may care attitude who hasn't got a lot of feelings for anything or anyone.
In the life of James Bond (the movies) that past has only been revealed recently so it can't have been the appeal previously. Craig's character has apparently been the most successful in terms of Bond Movies so that suggests they must be doing something right.

You seem to have fallen for all the bollocks about being woke.
Old Nov 17th 2021, 5:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you watched the new Marvel "Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings" yet? They drive an all electric BMW iX3.
I have not but will put it on a list somewhere.

Old Nov 17th 2021, 9:57 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Somehow none of the Bond movies do that much for me these days. So many copycat franchises: Bourne, Mission Impossible, etc.. Skyfall was good, but ultimately it's the same plot and same gags repeated over and over.
Old Nov 18th 2021, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
In the life of James Bond (the movies) that past has only been revealed recently so it can't have been the appeal previously. Craig's character has apparently been the most successful in terms of Bond Movies so that suggests they must be doing something right.

You seem to have fallen for all the bollocks about being woke.
Yeah its bollocks alright, its a crazy world we now live in.
Old Nov 18th 2021, 11:03 am
Assimilated Pauper

Yeah its bollocks alright, its a crazy world we now live in.
It is an irritating obsession of conservatives. People are talking about films or, well not books, conservatives aren't likely to have read books, but football, tennis, most anything, and there's a lesbian or a person with a piercing involved and then there's a whole load of claptrap about "woke", "youth of today", "gone to the dogs". Life moves on, you do have to call your black dog something else now, no need to obsess over it.
Old Nov 18th 2021, 10:03 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

he'll have one of those electric scooters all kited out by Q
Old Nov 19th 2021, 1:13 am
Assimilated Pauper

In contrast with the opinion upthread, I thought Marriage Story to be a compelling and accurate portrayal of the workings of family lawyers. Casting Scarlett Johansson as someone plump and dowdy is improbable but the terrible hair and Mom jeans helped.

Last edited by dbd33; Nov 19th 2021 at 1:15 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.