British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   2020 - movies seen this year (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/2020-movies-seen-year-930232/)

Oink Feb 24th 2022 4:28 am

Re: 2020 - movies seen this year

I went to see Walt Disney on Ice but it just turned out to be a fat old rotting man in a fridge.

Not my joke although I enhanced it.

BristolUK Feb 24th 2022 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 13097079)
I went to see Walt Disney on Ice but it just turned out to be a fat old rotting man in a fridge.

Maybe something wrong the fridge thermostat?

Danny B Mar 21st 2022 2:34 pm

I watched King Richard last night, a look at how tennis superstars Venus and Serena Williams became who they are after the coaching from their father Richard Williams.

Really enjoyed it, Will Smith did a great job.

dbd33 Apr 14th 2022 11:58 pm

Never Rarely Sometimes Always conveys the feeling of being tired and having to find some way to fill the hours until morning in a strange city very well. I suspect it's a film that one would need to have been poor to appreciate.

Shard Apr 15th 2022 4:12 am

Joker, finally. Very good, if not a bit dark.

abner Apr 17th 2022 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 13084792)
The Silent Sea (Netflix series) exciting and suspenseful Korean science fiction drama on a troubled lunar base. Really interesting concept, had to binge watch. :lol:

If we're allowed "series" as well as "movies" in the thread, the single-most weird, novel, and engrossing new series, for me, has to be Severance.

It more-or-less replaces the hole in my heart left behind when Counterpart was inexplicably cancelled... :(

sharkus Apr 17th 2022 1:00 pm

First time back at the local cinema yesterday since before the recent unpleasantness to see Sonic The Hedgehog 2. Pretty much more of the same from the first one, but rather entertaining. It was nice to be back there, and happy they're able to keep going :)

bats Apr 17th 2022 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by abner (Post 13108130)
If we're allowed "series" as well as "movies" in the thread, the single-most weird, novel, and engrossing new series, for me, has to be Severance.

It more-or-less replaces the hole in my heart left behind when Counterpart was inexplicably cancelled... :(

I've watched one episode and it's compelling

Danny B Apr 19th 2022 3:36 pm

Windfall on Netflix wasn't too bad. Only 1.5hrs and had some funny moments.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15033192/

Shard Apr 20th 2022 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by sharkus (Post 13108194)
First time back at the local cinema yesterday since before the recent unpleasantness to see Sonic The Hedgehog 2. Pretty much more of the same from the first one, but rather entertaining. It was nice to be back there, and happy they're able to keep going :)

Just watched Sonic 1 on Netflix. Thought it was quite good.

Atlantic Xpat Apr 25th 2022 5:20 pm

Continuing the kids movie theme, we went to see "The Bad Guys" at the cinema yesterday. Very good, we all enjoyed it.

sharkus Apr 25th 2022 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 13110198)
Continuing the kids movie theme, we went to see "The Bad Guys" at the cinema yesterday. Very good, we all enjoyed it.

We shall be doing that soon too. Son has the books, and has sort of read one of them, and the trailer looked rather good.

Pulaski Apr 26th 2022 2:41 pm

We (Mrs P, little Miss P (15), and me) went to see Everything Everywhere all at Once last weekend. I really enjoyed it, and was not disappointed. I don't go to see a lot of films at the cinema, but I still like to go from time to time, and this one was worth the trip and the price of the ticket. I would certainly recommend it to anyone who enjoys a quirky film, and anyone who is tired of Star Wars and superhero films! :rolleyes:

Mrs P and little Miss P also enjoyed it, but not as much as I did - I think seeing too many Star Wars and superhero films has rotted their brains. :lol:

BristolUK Apr 26th 2022 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 13110413)
...this one was worth the trip and the price of the ticket. I would certainly recommend it to anyone who enjoys a quirky film,

If it's quirky you want, have you seen this?
The Brand New Testament

Paul_Shepherd Apr 26th 2022 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 13110413)
We (Mrs P, little Miss P (15), and me) went to see Everything Everywhere all at Once last weekend. I really enjoyed it, and was not disappointed. I don't go to see a lot of films at the cinema, but I still like to go from time to time, and this one was worth the trip and the price of the ticket. I would certainly recommend it to anyone who enjoys a quirky film, and anyone who is tired of Star Wars and superhero films! :rolleyes:

Mrs P and little Miss P also enjoyed it, but not as much as I did - I think seeing too many Star Wars and superhero films has rotted their brains. :lol:

Hmm...I hadn't heard of that movie, but just read the synopsis and I am very intrigued by that story line.... it reminds me a little of that movie a few years ago called the Butterfly effect... not entirely the same thing but shares a similar element of the parallel universe and the "what if" scenarios. That movie sounds like it would be right up my street. Thanks!