British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   2020 - movies seen this year (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/2020-movies-seen-year-930232/)

Siouxie Dec 29th 2021 1:32 am

Re: 2020 - movies seen this year

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 13084048)
Watched "Don't Look Up" on Netflix... absolutely hilarious. Terrifyingly accurate satire, truly wonderful stuff. And the cast...!!!!

Watched it Christmas Eve - thoroughly enjoyed it :D

kimilseung Dec 29th 2021 4:05 am

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 13084048)
Watched "Don't Look Up" on Netflix... absolutely hilarious. Terrifyingly accurate satire, truly wonderful stuff. And the cast...!!!!

For such a high profile cast, I am surprised this escaped my attention until your post.
Very good, so many things worked in this movie.

Shard Dec 29th 2021 10:03 pm

Nice scientific analysis of Don't Look Up from Prof Brian Cox.

Shard Dec 30th 2021 1:11 pm

Hand of God (Netflix) was good, although very Italian. It's a coming of age story rather than football. Did Maradona's Hand of God goal count in the end or was it disqualified ? I didn't know he played for Napoli.

Shard Dec 30th 2021 1:14 pm

Into the White (Pluto TV) was an inspiring war film. Some Brits and Germans crash in snowy Norway and end up sharing a log cabin for a few days. It really underscores the tragedy of warring European nations.

Shard Dec 30th 2021 1:18 pm

The Silent Sea (Netflix series) exciting and suspenseful Korean science fiction drama on a troubled lunar base. Really interesting concept, had to binge watch. :lol:

Shard Dec 30th 2021 1:20 pm

1000 Miles from Christmas (Netflix). Very good seasonal Spanish romcom. I usually run a thousand miles from Xmas films, but this being set in the Pyrenees got a pass, and it was a genuinely engaging film.

BristolUK Dec 30th 2021 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 13084788)
Did Maradona's Hand of God goal count in the end or was it disqualified ? I didn't know he played for Napoli.

Heathen. :frown:

:rofl:

Yes it counted. No VAR back then

Shard Dec 30th 2021 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13084830)
Heathen. :frown:

:rofl:

Yes it counted. No VAR back then

Thanks and thanks (VAR). Have heard that phrase over the years, just never knew much about it.

Paul_Shepherd Jan 5th 2022 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 13084099)
Accurate satire, and great cast, but it didn't work at all for me. Apart from maybe the last ten minutes, that was good.

I know what you mean.... it took me a while to get into it I thought the satire was too much... albeit accurate.

Like you I think the last third of the film stuck out more for me, it was very poignant and powerful, and also I think accurate, showing how people reacted so differently in many places all over the world, once they knew that it was actual going to happen.....and were no longer in denial/ill informed. I think that's just how it would be.

Shard Jan 5th 2022 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 13086370)
I know what you mean.... it took me a while to get into it I thought the satire was too much... albeit accurate.

Like you I think the last third of the film stuck out more for me, it was very poignant and powerful, and also I think accurate, showing how people reacted so differently in many places all over the world, once they knew that it was actual going to happen.....and were no longer in denial/ill informed. I think that's just how it would be.

Yes, I thought the portrayal of the Whitehouse politicians was too slapstick. Leo and Jennifer both played their parts well, and the storyline was excellent. It's amazing to think (as per the Brian Cox video posted) that all this really could happen within the space of six months.

Jingsamichty Feb 22nd 2022 12:10 pm

We went to the actual cinema (hooray!!) and saw "Boiling Point", a fantastic new movie starring Stephen Graham as a very stressed chef in a high-pressure restaurant. Shot in one continuous take, both Graham and the supporting cast are absolutely outstanding. Recommended!

Mentioned the above movie to our son, who laughed and said,""Boiling Point" is terrific but if you want to see stress have a look at "Uncut Gems"". We watched it this weekend, I felt like I needed a holiday afterwards :rofl: Also recommended!

dbd33 Feb 22nd 2022 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 13096482)
We went to the actual cinema (hooray!!) and saw "Boiling Point", a fantastic new movie starring Stephen Graham as a very stressed chef in a high-pressure restaurant. Shot in one continuous take, both Graham and the supporting cast are absolutely outstanding. Recommended!

Mentioned the above movie to our son, who laughed and said,""Boiling Point" is terrific but if you want to see stress have a look at "Uncut Gems"". We watched it this weekend, I felt like I needed a holiday afterwards :rofl: Also recommended!

I very much liked Uncut Gems. That film goes at a clip, a double bill with Nomadland would put the audience back in mental balance.

Shard Feb 22nd 2022 5:34 pm

Army of Theives (Neflix) an amusing European safe cracking caper. Hints of Ocean Eleven. Occasional zombie. 7/10

dbd33 Feb 24th 2022 1:34 am

profile - compelling thriller made on a budget of fourteen shillings and sixpence.