Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

2020 - movies seen this year

2020 - movies seen this year

Old Dec 28th 2020, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 - movies seen this year

"Witness For The Prosecution" new film based on Agatha Christie's 1923 novel As a politically correct radical I should not like Agatha Christie but I DO ! SO THERE !

Just checked. It is from 2017 and a series not a movie.

The Witness for the Prosecution (TV Mini-Series 2016) - IMDb
Old Dec 28th 2020, 6:16 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Queens Gambit. Watchable. Interesting that chess was so mainstream back in the 60s.
Old Dec 28th 2020, 7:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Queens Gambit. Watchable. Interesting that chess was so mainstream back in the 60s.

My great aunt in the 80's tried to teach me chess, man did ever confused me. I did master checkers pretty well though at the time, but its an easier game overall.

Not a movie, but not quite a TV show as its limited, so I guess a mini-series but I am liking Your Honor with Brian Cranston.
Old Dec 29th 2020, 12:45 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Room 2806 - about Dominique Strauss-Khan really well done, very watchable...we all remember ‘bits’ about it...but this put it into perspective...well. Uncomfortable but importantly viewable.
Old Jan 1st 2021, 3:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't going to be released until end of February, but I had to share the trailer. I loved Tom and Jerry as a kid.

It's and animated-live action movie, they didn't recast the Tom or Jerry, but using archival footage of the original voices form the cartoon.

Old Jan 1st 2021, 12:17 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Isn't going to be released until end of February, but I had to share the trailer. I loved Tom and Jerry as a kid.
Me too, still do. But I'm not sure that's going to work for me. I don't know when but at some point the cartoon 'changed' - almost like they had voices or the music/sound changed or something, I can't exactly recall what it was - and a lot of the old magic was completely gone. I just found it unwatchable after that and it looks as if it's the later stuff included.
Old Jan 1st 2021, 6:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Me too, still do. But I'm not sure that's going to work for me. I don't know when but at some point the cartoon 'changed' - almost like they had voices or the music/sound changed or something, I can't exactly recall what it was - and a lot of the old magic was completely gone. I just found it unwatchable after that and it looks as if it's the later stuff included.

I am not sure what we were getting in the 80's, probably a mix of everything...

Looking at their history-

1940 William Hanna & Joseph Barbera created Tom & Jerry theatrical short films for MGM, of which 13 were nominated for an academy award and 7 won. As the 1950's arrived and along with it a rise in TV's in homes, MGM saw declining theatrical revenue, and in 1957 cut their animation studio, spending an average of 50,000 per short.

In 1961 MGM revived the characters, and contracted to a Prague animation studio to produce 13 shorts which were directed by Gene Deitch, but MGM cut the budget to 10,000 per short. MGM didn't want the characters to be linked to communism so they romanized the Czech names of the crew and omitted the studio location from title cards. The last short of these 13 were completed in 1962.

The ratio for format from the original 1940's to 1950's was also different vs the 1961-1962, and the 1961-1962 shorts had more limited animated and was less fluid compared to the originals, the sound was also done differently.

From 1963 to 1967 Chuck Jones and his partner went on to create 34 more shorts, but they had trouble with keeping the original Tom and Jerry humor, and changed the look of the characters.

In 1965, the original Hanna-Barbera shorts started to run on TV, although heavily edited.

In 1975 the characters reunited with their creators Hanna and Barbera for The Tom & Jerry Show for Saturday morning cartoons, this ran until 1977.

1980 to 1982 was The Tom & Jerry Comedy Show with yet new people and changes to the characters looks.

So not surprised there were noticeable difference I never noticed as a kid having so many hands in the jar.

Disney was more consistent in style with their cartoons, but they largely had the same people at the helm until the late 1960's, you can start seeing changes in Disney produced stuff between Walt's Death and the early 1970's, and by the 1980's, Disney produced animation was all over the place, really wasn't until Disney and Pixar joined up that I would say they started producing good quality animation again. I never cared for the original Lion King, or such.

Old Jan 2nd 2021, 4:50 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

My great aunt in the 80's tried to teach me chess, man did ever confused me. I did master checkers pretty well though at the time, but its an easier game overall.

Not a movie, but not quite a TV show as its limited, so I guess a mini-series but I am liking Your Honor with Brian Cranston.
Chess is not difficult to play (though difficult to be good). Why not give it another try. Plenty of (free) apps and play the computer versions. It's less intimidating/frustrating when playing a machine. If you happen to have an Amazon fire stick on your TV, they have a nice screen version.
Old Jan 2nd 2021, 5:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Shard
Chess is not difficult to play (though difficult to be good). Why not give it another try. Plenty of (free) apps and play the computer versions. It's less intimidating/frustrating when playing a machine. If you happen to have an Amazon fire stick on your TV, they have a nice screen version.

You do have a point, I haven't tried since I was like 7 so an adult me might find it easier...
Old Jan 2nd 2021, 5:05 pm
Yo

You do have a point, I haven't tried since I was like 7 so an adult me might find it easier...
Apparently there has been quite a renaissance in chess as a result of Queens Gambit. Especially in the online world. I think two of the top online players are Canadian girls.
Old Jan 4th 2021, 7:41 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Palm Springs was absolutely hilarious - on Amazon Prime
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9484998/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Promising young woman was OK - torrent only
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9620292/

I know some of you philistines don't like watching movies with subtitles, but this Taiwanese movie was great - on Netflix
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10883506/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I'll be watching Wonder Woman 1984 tonight - on torrent only
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7126948/

Old Jan 5th 2021, 8:22 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I May Destroy You was very good and Wild Wild Country was interesting but then I lived in Oregon, although 15 years later. My doctoral advisor's wife conducted research and wrote a book on this phenomenon.
Old Jan 5th 2021, 1:57 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I May Destroy You was very good and Wild Wild Country was interesting but then I lived in Oregon, although 15 years later. My doctoral advisor's wife conducted research and wrote a book on this phenomenon.
Yep, Wild Wild Country was a good watch, the woman annoyed me though.
Old Jan 5th 2021, 10:05 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Oink
The phenomenon of rebuilding one's life?
Old Jan 14th 2021, 8:03 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I was commenting on the other TV show thread and the main character of that show (Lupin) is also the star of this movie.

For those of you who can tolerate subtitles or dubbed English, this movie is one of my all time favorites.. Based on a true story as well.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1675434/?ref_=tt_sims_tt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.