Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

2020 - movies seen this year

2020 - movies seen this year

Old Aug 31st 2020, 2:22 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 - movies seen this year

'Da 5 Bloods' was good, being a Spike Lee movie it had an anti-trump vibe to it, but the plot was excellent.
Old Aug 31st 2020, 5:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Watched The Assistant last night, it was an interesting movie.
Old Sep 6th 2020, 1:06 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Watched Bill and Ted Face the Music last night, it was okay.

I was a big fan of Bill and Ted as a kid/early teen so had to give this one a run, it was actually better than I expected it to be. There was a 29 year gap between the 2nd movie in the series to this 3rd one, first one was released in 1989.
That's encouraging. Considering how old Keanu looks in the trailer, I wasn't expecting it to be so good.

Old Sep 7th 2020, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

"Tenet"

Big fan of Christopher Nolan. Loved Memento, loved Inception, his other two high-concept "toying with time" movies.

(Didn't love Interstellar nearly as much, but it didn't really belong in the same mind-bending narrative category as the other two, IMHO, whatever its other good and bad qualities. Too long and too (ultimately) linear for that, despite the unexpected joy of seeing Matt Damon's character receive his comeuppence (long story).)

Tenet is at least as ambitious as a "toying with time" movie as either of the other two, but I confess I never quite grok'd the strategic implications of reverse time travel, as presented during the course of the movie. Certainly not enough to fully understand, or worse, care, about the impact on the plot of the many, many explosions that take place in the major battle scene occupying most of the last third of the movie.

So, decent time-travel-type sci-fi thriller, but frankly that's damning with faint praise, considering the A-list director and the corresponding A-list budget.

OTOH, top notch production values, and sets up both the plot and two solid actors (Washington and Pattinson) for the sequel. With regrets, somewhat less hope for the female lead (Debicki) but perhaps she was constrained by the script / direction.

Old Sep 9th 2020, 2:37 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abner
"Tenet"

Big fan of Christopher Nolan. Loved Memento, loved Inception, his other two high-concept "toying with time" movies.

(Didn't love Interstellar nearly as much, but it didn't really belong in the same mind-bending narrative category as the other two, IMHO, whatever its other good and bad qualities. Too long and too (ultimately) linear for that, despite the unexpected joy of seeing Matt Damon's character receive his comeuppence (long story).)

Tenet is at least as ambitious as a "toying with time" movie as either of the other two, but I confess I never quite grok'd the strategic implications of reverse time travel, as presented during the course of the movie. Certainly not enough to fully understand, or worse, care, about the impact on the plot of the many, many explosions that take place in the major battle scene occupying most of the last third of the movie.

So, decent time-travel-type sci-fi thriller, but frankly that's damning with faint praise, considering the A-list director and the corresponding A-list budget.

OTOH, top notch production values, and sets up both the plot and two solid actors (Washington and Pattinson) for the sequel. With regrets, somewhat less hope for the female lead (Debicki) but perhaps she was constrained by the script / direction.
Did you know that John David Washington is Denzel's Son? I must be living under a rock.
Old Sep 9th 2020, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Did you know that John David Washington is Denzel's Son? I must be living under a rock.
Had no idea either.

He carried himself well, deserved the role off his own bat.
Old Sep 14th 2020, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Skyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond repute

Just watched ‘I’m thinking of ending things’. Netflix.

if some kind soul could explain what is going on in this movie I would be very grateful!
Old Sep 14th 2020, 9:45 pm
Tea Drinker

Originally Posted by Skyva

if some kind soul could explain what is going on in this movie I would be very grateful!
Don't feel bad, I had to watch a similar video for Tenet.

Old Oct 1st 2020, 7:30 pm
Tea Drinker

Can't wait for this, I need a good belly laugh before 2020 is over.

Old Oct 1st 2020, 7:33 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Skyva

Good film. SPOILER...

It's basically the reflections of the janitor at various points in his life, and the woman is a projection of someone he once met. It's an interesting film, but definitely in the surreal category.

​​​​​
Old Oct 1st 2020, 7:35 pm
Yo

The Jackal. 1997 Bruce Willis version. Hey, it was on BBC. Very strained plot, but not bad in the last half hour. The depiction of the Canadian was extremely cringey.
Old Oct 1st 2020, 9:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Can't wait for this, I need a good belly laugh before 2020 is over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvPTCvUnNQA

I just watched the trailer, I forgot how funny Borat is......
Old Oct 1st 2020, 11:55 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I just watched the trailer, I forgot how funny Borat is......
I watched it too and had the opposite reaction. I liked Borat at the time, but this all seemed a bit repetitive. And, in a way, I don't like how he infringes on the good nature of people.
Old Nov 23rd 2020, 5:29 pm
Tea Drinker

I watched a Welsh movie called 'Concrete Plans' last night, not too bad. My ears must have turned Canadian as I had a hard time understanding the Scottish bloke.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10975750/

Old Dec 21st 2020, 7:48 pm
Tea Drinker

Can't wait for this to get dropped on Netflix on the 27th.

I really enjoyed Black Mirror.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.