2020 Flu Shot Thread

Old Nov 5th 2020, 1:33 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Flu Shot Thread

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
would love to get flu shot, can't get one for love nor money in Toronto
Curious if those who refuse to get the vaccination will also be refusing the covid one.
For the record the flu vaccine does not give you the flu. its not a live virus vaccine, science doesn't work that way
What Zoe says. Get your damn flu shot.

To add to the anecdotals....I've had the flu shot every year since I've lived in Canada, as has the wife and kids. Thats 16 years for me and her & 11 & 8 for them. None of us have experienced any side effects beyond a sore arm. My youngest has a underlying medical condition that made her more susceptible to respiratory infections so it has always been a no brainer for us. As I say, we believe in herd immunity through vaccination. In Newfoundland the govt is trying to get flu vaccination rates up to 80something percent this year to avoid the double whammy of flu and covid. Flu shots are free, either at special clinics or through your local pharmacy - which is where we got ours
Old Nov 5th 2020, 2:38 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

me too, I don't think I've ever had the flu, Ben got it one year and was non functional for about 2 weeks and still feeling the effects 6 weeks later
Old Nov 5th 2020, 3:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
What Zoe says. Get your damn flu shot.

To add to the anecdotals....I've had the flu shot every year since I've lived in Canada, as has the wife and kids. Thats 16 years for me and her & 11 & 8 for them. None of us have experienced any side effects beyond a sore arm. My youngest has a underlying medical condition that made her more susceptible to respiratory infections so it has always been a no brainer for us. As I say, we believe in herd immunity through vaccination. In Newfoundland the govt is trying to get flu vaccination rates up to 80something percent this year to avoid the double whammy of flu and covid. Flu shots are free, either at special clinics or through your local pharmacy - which is where we got ours
It might be free in your province, but that isn't true for all provinces. BC doesn't cover flu shot for all, only certain groups.

The province only bought 2,045,000 doses, more than a typical year, but not enough to vaccinate everyone, and looking like this year they may not even be able to vaccinate everyone who want it as demand appears higher than expected. Average year 1.4 million get it, population is just over 5 million.
Spoiler:
  • Children 6 months to less than 5 years of age
  • Pregnant women at any stage of pregnancy during the influenza season
  • Seniors 65 years and older
  • Residents of any age living in residential care, assisted living or other group facilities
  • Indigenous people
  • Children and teenagers required to take AspirinĀ® or ASA for long periods of time due to a medical condition
  • Children and adults with certain medical conditions, including:
    • Heart or lung disorders that require regular medical care, such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or cystic fibrosis
    • Kidney disease, chronic liver disease such as hepatitis, diabetes, cancer, anemia or weakened immune system
    • Those with health conditions causing difficulty breathing, swallowing or a risk of choking on food or fluids, such as people with severe brain damage, spinal cord injury, seizures or neuromuscular disorders
  • Those who are very obese
  • Household contacts of people at high risk
  • Household contacts, caregivers and daycare staff of children under 5 years of age
  • Doctors, nurses and others working in health care settings, including long-term care facilities, who have contact with patients
  • Visitors to health care facilities and other patient care locations
  • Inmates of provincial correctional institutions
  • Those who provide care or service to people at high risk in potential outbreak settings such as cruise ships
  • People who provide essential community services such as police officers, firefighters, ambulance attendants, and corrections workers
  • People who work with live poultry
Old Nov 5th 2020, 3:28 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Some comparative data from Australia for the 2019 and 2020 influenza seasons. Population for both years 25 million.

13 million vaccines administered.
247,000 laboratory confirmed cases of influenza.

Increase in demand, 18 million vaccines administered.
21,000 laboratory confirmed cases of influenza.

Old Nov 5th 2020, 3:30 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
It might be free in your province, but that isn't true for all provinces.
Because your wife is in the high risk category, your shot should be covered.
Old Nov 5th 2020, 3:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Because your wife is in the high risk category, your shot should be covered.
Yes mine is, I am not worried about charges, just was pointing its not universally covered in BC as it might be in other provinces apparently.

My issue has been actually finding anywhere that has it, I have an appointment booked next week assuming the pharmacy has stock come appointment day.
Old Nov 5th 2020, 3:42 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Genuine question, does the flu shot protect against all variants of the flu? e.g H1N2 swine flu etc.?

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...entral-alberta

Old Nov 5th 2020, 3:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Danny B
Genuine question, does the flu shot protect against all variants of the flu? e.g H1N2 swine flu etc.?

That flu strain appears to be pretty rare in humans, and according to the article, they even went as far as testing COVID tests taken in the past 2 weeks for influenza as well, and found no additional cases, but will offer people getting COVID tests, influenza test as well at the same time.

The strain components for the 2020/2021 Northern Hemisphere influenza vaccines are:
  • A/Guangdong-Maonan/SWL1536/2019 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus
  • A/Hong Kong/2671/2019 (H3N2)-like virus
  • B/Washington/02/2019-like (B/Victoria lineage) virus
  • B/Phuket/3073/2013 - like virus (Yamagata lineage) (in quadrivalent vaccines only)

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 5th 2020 at 3:53 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2020, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

We had ours on Monday, from our doctor as usual ............. we've both had them for the last 15 years, and only once have gone to the pharmacy, when we were going on holiday in mid-October and the doctor's office had not yet received the vaccine.

It was much more regimented this year .............. make an appointment, 2 1-hour periods each weekday from October 13 available for flu shots only, nothing else to be discussed, and flu shots not given at any other time. Then sit in the waiting room for 5 minutes afterwards before leaving to make sure no adverse effects. Otherwise, the "usual" covid precautions of only arriving 5 minutes before appointment, mask, hand sanitizing, etc.

Mine did hurt when the needle went in, which is unusual, but otherwise no effects ..................... but I'd made the appointment back on October 13, and 2nd November was the first available date. They'd opened the booking on the previous Thursday
Old Nov 6th 2020, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B

No, it does not.

What they do is take close note of the 4 or 5 flu strains that were most prevalent in Australia and New Zealand during their winter (ie, our summer), and then produce a vaccine that contains (3-)4-(-5) of those.

The flu virus mutates rapidly every year, this is why it has to be re-done. I gather that basing the vaccine that we are given in October on the strains prevalent in the previous 4-5months down under is as close as we could get to being protected against the "new" strains. Antibodies may well remain in our bodies from previous vaccinations/infections, but are not effective against the new mutants.
Old Nov 6th 2020, 4:18 pm
Account Closed

My appointment for flu shot was cancelled. Got this email this morning from the pharmacy.

Unfortunately your appointment has been cancelled due to vaccine availability. We are working together with the government to get flu vaccines into pharmacies as soon as possible. A notification will be sent to you if flu vaccines become available. We appreciate your understanding. .

I think the government really underestimate demand this year.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 6th 2020 at 4:22 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2020, 4:58 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Until last year I'd never got the flu shot. I'm not anti-vax or anything like that, and I know I'm somewhat stupid not getting it, the whole herd immunity thing being a good thing. However, I'd never had it in england, and I don't recall it ever being pushed hard, possibly not at all in england. I chatted with my mum about it, asking if I was perhaps forgetting, and she said that usually they'd only mention it for the very young, old, or those with medial reasons.

Why did I do it last year? I saw the notification that they'd have someone in the office to administer it, and I thought, why not. So off I went.

This year, for somewhat obvious reasons I got one too. A few weeks ago I'd been checking the Shoppers website to see if there was availability near me, and there wasn't any at all. Rexall was the same. I left it a little while and checked last week, and found the local Shoppers claimed to have availability, so I filled out the online form thing, and popped over. There was maybe a 10 minute wait, then I got the shot.

I think I got lucky, as it appears Rexall is out of supply, and re-checking shoppers, I don't see anywhere having it available.

It's somewhat bemusing to me that there is no availability given the various top medial bods going on about how you really, really, really should get the flu shot, so would that not have factored into how much of the flu shot they obtained? Did they really thing people would ignore getting it even though they are being told to get it?
Old Nov 6th 2020, 5:27 pm
Account Closed

BC bought 2 million, which is more than most years, there are 5 million in BC, and demand appears to be more than they expected.

Senior high dose vaccine is in short supply as well.

Originally Posted by sharkus
Until last year I'd never got the flu shot. I'm not anti-vax or anything like that, and I know I'm somewhat stupid not getting it, the whole herd immunity thing being a good thing. However, I'd never had it in england, and I don't recall it ever being pushed hard, possibly not at all in england. I chatted with my mum about it, asking if I was perhaps forgetting, and she said that usually they'd only mention it for the very young, old, or those with medial reasons.

Why did I do it last year? I saw the notification that they'd have someone in the office to administer it, and I thought, why not. So off I went.

This year, for somewhat obvious reasons I got one too. A few weeks ago I'd been checking the Shoppers website to see if there was availability near me, and there wasn't any at all. Rexall was the same. I left it a little while and checked last week, and found the local Shoppers claimed to have availability, so I filled out the online form thing, and popped over. There was maybe a 10 minute wait, then I got the shot.

I think I got lucky, as it appears Rexall is out of supply, and re-checking shoppers, I don't see anywhere having it available.

It's somewhat bemusing to me that there is no availability given the various top medial bods going on about how you really, really, really should get the flu shot, so would that not have factored into how much of the flu shot they obtained? Did they really thing people would ignore getting it even though they are being told to get it?
Old Nov 6th 2020, 5:36 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
...I'd never had it in england, and I don't recall it ever being pushed hard, possibly not at all in england. I chatted with my mum about it, asking if I was perhaps forgetting, and she said that usually they'd only mention it for the very young, old, or those with medial reasons.
Quite early in my time in Canada I saw this bloody great queue at the pharmacy that turned out to be for the flu shot. That made me wonder and I did a little research.

I discovered that hospitalisations and deaths in Canada for flu in relation to population size were completely out of whack to that of the UK so I thought that a good reason to take it seriously in Canada.
Old Nov 10th 2020, 10:16 pm
Account Closed

Fraser Health region in BC running low on flu shot and almost gone through their publicly funded allotment. (this is also the region where the huge surge in COVID is happening.)

"514,000 doses the region has distributed are about 90 per cent of its allotment of publicly funded vaccines from the province, with 10 per cent left to come in the next few weeks."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...-70k-1.5796505

I checked Rexall, Shoppers, London Drugs again today, no availability, and London Drugs and Rexell not even taking appointments anymore, guess the wait list exceeds what they hope to receive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.