Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

$89M? But I could do that...

$89M? But I could do that...

Old May 10th 2012, 8:01 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $89M? But I could do that...

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Many years ago I went, as a friend of a friend, to an Art degree show in London.

The friend's contribution consisted of a large 6 foot square black and white close-up photograph of her front bum, while another graduate's effort consisted of a scaffolding pole leaning against a wall.
I assume they later married.
Old May 11th 2012, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pretty Flowers
I see your Hirst and I raise you an Emin.

I have a friend who's a modern art aficionado. I still think Rothko and Warhol are ass. That is all...
Wish Emin had gone up in smoke along with that shitty tent she produced.

Hirst is not an artist, he's a businessman.

Last edited by London Mike; May 11th 2012 at 3:11 am.
Old May 11th 2012, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I dont get it, other than they are genius for selling something my kid could do for serious money. Monet was genius, Turner was a Genius, DaVinci was a genius, even Klimt and Kandinksy. What is it that I am missing about Rothko and Jackson, other than them having a huge steely pair for trying it on and getting away with it!
Why was Monet a genius and not Rothko ...? Out of interest?
You've got to see a Rothko up close in a dimly lit room to fully appreciate its power. No, I'm not talking bollocks either. Stirs the senses. More than Pippa Middleton does too, honest guv!
Old May 11th 2012, 1:35 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
Why was Monet a genius and not Rothko ...? Out of interest?
You've got to see a Rothko up close in a dimly lit room to fully appreciate its power. No, I'm not talking bollocks either. Stirs the senses. More than Pippa Middleton does too, honest guv!
Monet created beautiful images of recognisable things with the dotty technique he developed, and he influenced a generation of other artists. Its like he saw the world through a strange lens, capturing the essence of the subject, but without needing the detail.

I cant say Ive seen a Rothco up close, so maybe thats different, but as I said, I figure I could make something similar looking with a roller and some orange paint. I just dont see whats special or talented about it, never mind genius.

Like that bloody awful eyesore by the olympics

Each to their own I guess. I still dont get it...
Old May 11th 2012, 1:43 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Strangely enough my kid came home from school yesterday with a work in crayon that was a dead ringer for this one..

I suspect that shes just taking the piss now! Shes 9.
Old May 11th 2012, 3:57 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Monet created beautiful images of recognisable things with the dotty technique he developed, and he influenced a generation of other artists. Its like he saw the world through a strange lens, capturing the essence of the subject, but without needing the detail.
Monet's later works have very few recognizable images. They are paintings of light and colour. We know that they are pictures of his gardens at Giverny, but I suspect most of us would not know it, or even recognize the pictures as being of leaves, flowers and water if we did not know the context. Monet was experimenting with a style that was expressive without being figurative. A style that abstract artists like Rothko have developed.

I cant say Ive seen a Rothco up close, so maybe thats different, but as I said, I figure I could make something similar looking with a roller and some orange paint. I just dont see whats special or talented about it, never mind genius.
The impressionists were derided when they first started exhibiting in Paris, Van Gogh was considered a looney and his paintings had no merit (he never sold one). Picasso was a revolutionary but now part of the mainstream art history. Great artists are often way out ahead of the rest of us mortals.

I never really "got" Picasso until I read somewhere that his idea was that a work is intended to capture something of the whole subject, not just an image from one standpoint. It clearest when you walk around one of his three dimensional sculptures. Having seen and understood this his two dimensional paintings, where he paints his subjects from more than one perspective simultaneously, make absolute sense.

I think we are sometimes in a similar situation with modern artists because we don't understand what they are trying to do or say. That is not to say that just because a work is labeled as modern art is is not a load of b*ll*cks, but when an artist is as celebrated as Rothko I tend to assume it is my inability to appreciate his work that is the problem.

Rothko created beautiful images with the technique he developed, and he influenced a generation of other artists. Its like he saw the world through a strange lens, capturing the essence of the subject, but without needing the detail.

Old May 11th 2012, 4:08 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by JonboyE
when an artist is as celebrated as Rothko I tend to assume it is my inability to appreciate his work that is the problem.
Thats what Im trying to get past myself, my inability to appreciate it. Then again a lot of people appreciated the work of Stalin back in the day, and with hindsight it turns out he was a murderous looney. Emperors new clothes syndrome perhaps? Like a decent joke, if it needs to be explained then hasn't it missed the mark?

Rothko created beautiful images with the technique he developed
I take your point, but he didnt, its just a big block of orange innit

Maybe I need a much closer experience with one. I still dont think Im buying it though.

Last edited by iaink; May 11th 2012 at 4:15 pm.
Old May 11th 2012, 4:41 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

http://hereelsewhere.com/see/iain-baxter-1n4ormat1on/

Scroll down and you will see an example of "art" currently on display in the Glenbow museum , Calgary - blue tote boxes arranged on shelving. When I was there a few weeks ago I thought I had taken a wrong turn and ended up in aisle 6 of Canadian Tire or a kindergarten for very tall children.

I hope the link works.