Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

$488.70 Prov/Local GVT PYMT Canada

$488.70 Prov/Local GVT PYMT Canada

Old Apr 12th 2013, 2:22 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute
Default $488.70 Prov/Local GVT PYMT Canada

Just taken a look at our bank balance online and spied a payment dated yesterday (April 10th) for the amount mentioned. Description on the statement is how I've titled the thread.

Now we seem to get payments fairly regularly from the "government" that seem to be related to GST/HST and things like that but they tend to be 20 or 30 dollars.

Not exactly sure what close to $500 is for.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old Apr 12th 2013, 2:43 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $488.70 Prov/Local GVT PYMT Canada

Originally Posted by orly
Just taken a look at our bank balance online and spied a payment dated yesterday (April 10th) for the amount mentioned. Description on the statement is how I've titled the thread.

Now we seem to get payments fairly regularly from the "government" that seem to be related to GST/HST and things like that but they tend to be 20 or 30 dollars.

Not exactly sure what close to $500 is for.

Anyone have any ideas?
Was there anything you applied for but hadn't yet received? I had one like that a few months ago for almost a years worth of one of the Ontario Trillium Benefits I believe.

http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/credit/otb/index.html
Old Apr 12th 2013, 2:49 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
Was there anything you applied for but hadn't yet received? I had one like that a few months ago for almost a years worth of one of the Ontario Trillium Benefits I believe.

http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/credit/otb/index.html
Don't think we (the wife or I) have applied for anything to be honest. As mentioned I know we get payments seemingly every month into our joint bank account...but for small amounts. Getting such a large amount just seemed odd. Don't recall getting a big payment like that in the past.

I work full time and earn an "ok" wage of about $30k. Wife is completing her degree so works part time so we are probably on the "lower" end for a "family "income" but not exactly poor as we have no children.

Never got payments into my account from the UK government that's for sure!
Old Apr 12th 2013, 2:53 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
Don't think we (the wife or I) have applied for anything to be honest. As mentioned I know we get payments seemingly every month into our joint bank account...but for small amounts. Getting such a large amount just seemed odd. Don't recall getting a big payment like that in the past.

I work full time and earn an "ok" wage of about $30k. Wife is completing her degree so works part time so we are probably on the "lower" end for a "family "income" but not exactly poor as we have no children.

Never got payments into my account from the UK government that's for sure!
There's a calculator on that website link, if you input your income, property taxes (you get money for paying your property taxes - yay!) etc., it tells you how much you can get. Worth checking out!

There are a couple of sections on the tax return that if you tick will automatically be assessed to see if you qualify, so it's not actually 'applying'.

Edit: The Trillium Benefit gives you a sales tax credit in addition to the HST credit, you also get a credit for Property Taxes paid - as an example, on a $30k net joint income and paying property taxes of $3200 a year, the credit (back into your bank account) would be $842 plus the HST refund.

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 12th 2013 at 2:58 am. Reason: Explain sales tax credit etc
Old Apr 12th 2013, 3:02 am
The ride never ends

Calculator seems to suggest we're eligible for a fraction of that in total for the entire year.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 3:06 am
Banned

That's strange...
Old Apr 12th 2013, 3:12 am
The ride never ends

As they appear to be "automated" payments based on tax returns I'm not sure how they're working them out. We certainly haven't been applying for anything.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 11:12 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

As you live in Ontario, it be this http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bnfts/rltd_prgrms/ntr-eng.html
Old Apr 13th 2013, 4:56 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Have you done your tax return ? maybe its what they owe you ?
Old Apr 13th 2013, 2:36 pm
The ride never ends

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Have you done your tax return ? maybe its what they owe you ?
Actually filing today...so no not yet.