Reload this Page >

$130k enough to live on in Calgary/Vancouver

$130k enough to live on in Calgary/Vancouver

Old Apr 17th 2009, 10:29 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: $130k enough to live on in Calgary/Vancouver

Originally Posted by rwin
If you make 130K, you spend 130K and wonder how anyone can get by on 100K.
The more you have the more you spend. I've worked with doctors who earned the same in a week as I earned in a month, they were always complaining about being poor.

It's all relative.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 10:31 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
The more you have the more you spend. I've worked with doctors who earned the same in a week as I earned in a month, they were always complaining about being poor.

It's all relative.
Absolutely agree and a treat over and above what you earn - or that which you have to save for is relative too. So to some a treat may be a day out whereas to others that would be the norm.

As you say - all relative.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 10:31 pm
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

It's all relative.
and then you kicked them square in the pips, right?
Old Apr 17th 2009, 10:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by wbexpat
and then you kicked them square in the pips, right?
Moi?

Don't get me started, it's not wise, really not wise
Old Apr 17th 2009, 10:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryphea
...Yes this family can definately live very comfortably on $130K per year, of course they can, to suggest otherwise would be ridiculous. BUT they won't be swimming in an endless sea of cash...
We would be. It's hard to imagine what we'd spend the extra $112k on. Any suggestions?
Old Apr 17th 2009, 10:38 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BristolUK
We would be. It's hard to imagine what we'd spend the extra $112k on. Any suggestions?
gin
Old Apr 17th 2009, 10:41 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

gin
Would it run to the tonic too?
Old Apr 17th 2009, 10:44 pm
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Moi?

Don't get me started, it's not wise, really not wise

sorry i didnt mean that as an attack against you.

i sometimes speculate how funny it would be to do something outrageous during polite conversation.

for example when someone with pots of cash is complaing how poor he is because he can only afford to go on 3 caribbean holidays this year instead of the customary four i fantasise about saying: "you poor thing. have a lie down" then giving them a mighty kick in the nads to illustrate how their problems really could be a whole lot worse.

but of course thats just me.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 10:57 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

i sometimes speculate how funny it would be to do something outrageous during polite conversation.

for example when someone with pots of cash is complaing how poor he is because he can only afford to go on 3 caribbean holidays this year instead of the customary four i fantasise about saying: "you poor thing. have a lie down" then giving them a mighty kick in the nads to illustrate how their problems really could be a whole lot worse.

and me
Old Apr 17th 2009, 11:11 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gryphea
I repeat

IainK said lifestyle was immaterial on that wage. I disagree and I don't think I'm wrong.

Ski pass is just one expense of skiing. If you are into it, there is equipment, if not rental equipment. I want a new pair of mid-fats- they are around $1K. Unfortunately I am not going to get my new pair of mid fats as guess what we can't afford them. Kids with helmets, gear to keep warm , skis, boots - all costs quite a bit. Kids lessons etc. Throw in a few trips elsewhere a year, eg Fernie etc and it all adds up -believe me. For a family of five you need a two bed condo at quite a lot of money per night etc.

I never ever said this lady and her family couldn't have a good lifestyle on $130K per year- I said lifestyle wasn't immaterial.

At $130K this family will pay high taxes and get none of the family tax breaks that other people get. Yes this family can definately live very comfortably on $130K per year, of course they can, to suggest otherwise would be ridiculous. BUT they won't be swimming in an endless sea of cash as everyone seems to think they will. Their income is nowhere near enough to live in Elbow Park etc.

Gryph
I think we are insulting the intelligence of the OP. I'm sure the question of 130, 000 K was a relative question as to it's purchasing power in Calgary or Vancouver, not knowing what to expect. I don't think we need to go on about there are limits to what it will buy.

130,000 is only just in the highest tax bracket (over 126,000) and the overall taxes would be around 30 percent with both federal and provincial taxes and basic exemption. Or around 7500 after taxes per calender month. This could be lowered with an RRSP contribution. This calculation is based on a single earner. 7500 would afford a nice life, even in Vancouver with a skiing fetish.

130,000 would be in the top 5 percent of wage earners in canada:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew..._name=&no_ads=

taxes:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/fq/txrts-eng.html

Last edited by dboy; Apr 17th 2009 at 11:18 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 11:20 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
I think we are insulting the intelligence of the OP. I'm sure the question of 130, 000 K was a relative question as to it's purchasing power in Calgary or Vancouver, not knowing what to expect. I don't think we need to go on about there are limits to what it will buy.

130,000 is only just in the highest tax bracket (over 126,000) and the overall taxes would be around 30 percent with both federal and provincial taxes and basic exemption. Or around 7500 after taxes per calender month. This could be lowered considerably with an RRSP contribution. This calculation is based on a single earner. 7500 would afford a nice life, even in Vancouver with a skiing fetish.

130,000 would be in the top 5 percent of wage earners in canada:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew..._name=&no_ads=
Good post. 130k is a decent wage for single person. If you both earned that, even with kids, you could have a really comfortable lifestyle in Vancouver. Cetera paribus.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 11:31 pm
Account Closed

oopps no, I was joking too.

I meant don't get me started on how much doctors earn in private practise!

a kick in the nads often focuses the mind. In men the two are closely related
Old Apr 17th 2009, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Well for a start housing costs in Calgary or Vancouver, and maybe higher heating bills. But of course your 18K per year presumably is mortgage /rent free, which these people clearly won't be.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 11:44 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hollyanne
My Husband has been offered a job in Calgary or Vancouver, Just wondering if $130k is a good wage and if it is enough to have a reasonable lifestyle?

And does anyone know roughly how much tax you would pay on this per month?

Thanks.
From a vancouver prospective:
Yes $130k is a good salary. After tax you're looking at around $7k. Half of that will go on renting a decent 4brm in good location. Other costs are pretty much the same as the UK. Some things are more (like car insurance), some things are less (eg petrol) but it all evens out.

Your real problem will come when buying. $65k deposit will buy you a house for around $500k - even with the recent decline, that's a townhouse way out in the suburbs...
Old Apr 17th 2009, 11:52 pm
Account Closed

Would it run to the tonic too?
You have to be careful with the tonic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.