Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

$130k enough to live on in Calgary/Vancouver

$130k enough to live on in Calgary/Vancouver

Old Apr 17th 2009, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: $130k enough to live on in Calgary/Vancouver

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
except that the poverty line is for the 'average' household.

130k for a single person WOO HOO
130k for a family of 10 with an asthmatic, a diabetic and three kids with crohns? STRUGGLE CITY DUDE.
True, another variable there then.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
I sometimes think these "Is (insert rather large amount in CAD) enough to live on" posts are a little bit show offy...
Yep.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 4:47 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I sometimes think these "Is (insert rather large amount in CAD) enough to live on" posts are a little bit show offy...
If I was going to be paid that much, impressing a bunch of people I'd never met on the internet would be top of my "to do" list too

To be honest I only answer these anymore in the hope of receiving an anonymous percentage cheque in the mail out of gratitude...

Last edited by iaink; Apr 17th 2009 at 4:50 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 4:48 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bodgerx
Yep.
You don't get many (any?) "Is $40/$50k enough to live on" posts around here
Old Apr 17th 2009, 4:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Lets put it this way, If you cant make ends meet on $130k a year you really need to find yourself a new crack dealer..cos you must have a crack habit, and the dealer you have must be overcharging you!
We don't do crack. We have a combined income of more than $130k. We struggle.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 4:49 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

If I was going to be paid that much, impressing a bunch of people I'd never met on the internet would be top of my "to do" list too
I thought so - you seem the type to do that..........
Old Apr 17th 2009, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
Perhaps sell crack - that may help with your income? Just a thought...
Old Apr 17th 2009, 4:50 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

You don't get many (any?) "Is $40/$50k enough to live on" posts around here
There have been one or two...they are usually a bit more contentious than this sort of thing.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 4:51 pm

There have been one or two...they are usually a bit more contentious than this sort of thing.
So....can you?
Old Apr 17th 2009, 4:52 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

You have horses, and ex wives! Alone either is a more expensive than crack! Combined I dread to think.

LOL, I remember you posting your monthly LCBO outgoings a while ago...you cant afford to have a crack habit as well!

Last edited by iaink; Apr 17th 2009 at 5:07 pm.
BE Forum Addict

As the OP did not specify the amount horses/donkeys/farm vechicles/ex wifes her husband will be supporting I don't think your example is relavent here.
Just Joined

hollyanne is an unknown quantity at this point

The reason why this thread is still going (like many others of the same type) is that the question has too many variables, so posters are resorting to guessing what house, car etc. the OP will buy and what the wide range of monthly outgoings could be... It is a classic 'how long is a piece of string' question.

The amount quoted is also way above the poverty line for the country, so to doubt that you will not be able it live on it is a little strange.
Oh I'm sorry I thought BE was where people asked this sort of question no matter how strange, that's why we have sites like this to ask people who are already living and working in another country for there experiences.
Moderαtor Emeritus

So....can you?
Me? No, not a chance.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 4:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

As the OP did not specify the amount horses/donkeys/farm vechicles/ex wifes her husband will be supporting I don't think your example is relavent here.
Nonetheless, $130,000 is a decent income but not so much that one can be careless.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hollyanne
Oh I'm sorry I thought BE was where people asked this sort of question no matter how strange, that's why we have sites like this to ask people who are already living and working in another country for there experiences.
True, people ask all kinds of questions on here. The usefulness of the responses maybe limited to the information you provide though.

Ultimately, you need to do the research. Find out typical grocery prices are in the area, find out about mortgage, heating costs etc. Nobody knows how you typically splash your cash outside Canada.

Last edited by bodgerx; Apr 17th 2009 at 4:59 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.