Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Malta
Reload this Page >

Working as a Midwife in Malta/Gozo

Working as a Midwife in Malta/Gozo

Old Dec 18th 2014, 7:45 am
Just Joined

mm1980 is just really nicemm1980 is just really nicemm1980 is just really nicemm1980 is just really nicemm1980 is just really nicemm1980 is just really nicemm1980 is just really nicemm1980 is just really nice
Default Working as a Midwife in Malta/Gozo

Hi all,
I'm wondering if anyone would be able to give any advice on moving to Malta from the UK as a qualified midwife?
I'm a mature student with children around halfway through my degree. Myself and my children are all dual nationals and my husband is also eligible for dual nationality. I haven't lived in Malta for almost 20 years and now my children are growing up and moving on I'm starting to consider my options for going 'home'!
Thanks for any advice
Old Dec 21st 2014, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working as a Midwife in Malta/Gozo

Hey! No clue on anything midwife related although it is a profession I highly respect. As a Maltese citizen you won't be restricted in anything. But its nice to know there is a fellow Maltese on the board along with me (i'm homesick to return also... Living in Canada at the moment) so I hope you stick around!!
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 12:29 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Hey! No clue on anything midwife related although it is a profession I highly respect. As a Maltese citizen you won't be restricted in anything. But its nice to know there is a fellow Maltese on the board along with me (i'm homesick to return also... Living in Canada at the moment) so I hope you stick around!!
How can you be "homesick" for somewhere you've never lived?
Old Dec 24th 2014, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

“A good friend told me once that she believed that everyone was born in two places. There was going to be one place where you were physically born, where you would always be drawn to due to the things and people in it, but there was another place where your soul was and where you would need to travel to it. In this soul place you would feel at home and where you were meant to be, it would not be things or people, but a general feeling of welcome that drew you to it. With many people the physical and the soul are the same place, those people who never leave the small town they were born in come to mind. Then, there are others who were meant to travel to find where they were meant to be. Like you and me.”
-Unknown

A brilliant quote I found online some odd year ago. Pretty well sums it up for me.
Old Dec 29th 2014, 7:51 am
Just Joined

mm1980 is just really nicemm1980 is just really nicemm1980 is just really nicemm1980 is just really nicemm1980 is just really nicemm1980 is just really nicemm1980 is just really nicemm1980 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dorothy
How can you be "homesick" for somewhere you've never lived?
Hello,
Thank you for your replies.
I made contact with the relevant authority in Malta and they sent me all the info I need. Luckily the process seems quite a simple one.

I don't know about your situation Gozit but just to clarify Dorothy, I have lived in Malta and went to both Primary and High School there. Also my father and other family still live there, so I feel perfectly justified in calling Malta home.
Old Dec 29th 2014, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

NATALIE79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I'm a British Registered Midwife and Hypnobirthing Teacher. I will be moving to Malta early in 2015.

I'd like to look into the possibility of me working as one or both of my professions. Is it possible that you could give me the details of the correct webpage / contact person, or any info which might help me as a UK citizen?

Many thanks in advance,

N x
Old Dec 29th 2014, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

Hi,
You need contact the Ministry for Energy and Health.
You need to register with the Council for Nursing and Midwifery Malta (Their NMC) before you can apply for work. Jobs are only advertised once a year, usually mid way through the year, and will be advertised on the Government website.
xx
Old Dec 30th 2014, 3:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mm1980
Hello,
Thank you for your replies.
I made contact with the relevant authority in Malta and they sent me all the info I need. Luckily the process seems quite a simple one.

I don't know about your situation Gozit but just to clarify Dorothy, I have lived in Malta and went to both Primary and High School there. Also my father and other family still live there, so I feel perfectly justified in calling Malta home.

Dorothy was referring to me likely... All I was originally commenting on is that it is nice to have a fellow Maltese on BE along with me. She has a bone to pick with me for some reason, what or why i dont know. But for the record I am a Maltese citizen so yes i have the right to call Malta home as well. I am however second generation born in Canada, ie my nanna and nannu were born in malta. But i've been in love with the place for a long while. I go back often to visit my family there and always have a blast. Love the people, the culture, the atmosphere, the beaches and just everything about it!

Last edited by Gozit; Dec 30th 2014 at 3:15 am.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 9:10 am
Just Joined

nix.c is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ladies,

I hope all has gone well with your moves to Malta. I am actually hoping to follow in your footsteps and was wondering if you would be so kind to share some info with me. I am a final year UK midwifery student and hoping to come to Malta for my elective placement this year. I have found it difficult to find info on jobs etc on government websites. Any advice at all would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old Feb 15th 2015, 11:00 am
Just Joined

Hi Nix,
I'm not personally in a position to make any moves until 2016/2017.
Have you already arranged your elective? That is what I wanted to do as my family live there however it's not an option for me. The University of Malta will only accept students on an elective placement if they are at a Uni which has an Erasmus partnership with them. I also contacted the hospital on Malta directly but they just sent my email to the head of dept at the University who I had already spoken to!!
In terms of employment, I contacted the Ministry for Energy and Health and they told me jobs are only advertised once a year, usually mid way through the year, and will be advertised on the Government website but you have to be registered with the Council for Nursing and Midwifery before you can apply.
Old Feb 5th 2016, 7:52 am
Just Joined

Cloudhopper is an unknown quantity at this point

NATALIE79
I just saw you are a qualified hypnobirthing instructor and there seems to be a shortage here in Malta? Are you practicing? Does anyone else know of any hypnobirthing classes in Malta?
Thanks