Reload this Page >

Another Moving to Malta

Another Moving to Malta

Old Aug 13th 2017, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

NickFletch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another Moving to Malta

Hi,

I have read through some previous posts and some bits are very helpful. I'm particularly looking for advice on areas although i am planning to do a recce in the next month or so.

I'm looking for somewhere with a cafe culture so to speak as i am single and work from home so important to have life around or near. Also i am finding it difficult currently to see any houses with gardens to rent long term, i'm bringing my cat

I will be driving and i know it's not a big place so all accessible but any pointers would be appreciated.

Nick

Last edited by NickFletch; Aug 13th 2017 at 3:14 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2017, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

Asam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Another Moving to Malta

Houses with gardens aren't in abundance. So rent will be expensive. For cafe culture Sliema and St Julians are best but the three cities in the south and coming along and might be more affordable.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

NickFletch is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, much appreciated
Old Aug 25th 2017, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickFletch
Hi,

I have read through some previous posts and some bits are very helpful. I'm particularly looking for advice on areas although i am planning to do a recce in the next month or so.

I'm looking for somewhere with a cafe culture so to speak as i am single and work from home so important to have life around or near. Also i am finding it difficult currently to see any houses with gardens to rent long term, i'm bringing my cat

I will be driving and i know it's not a big place so all accessible but any pointers would be appreciated.

Nick
rentals especially at this time of year are in short supply... over 1200 pcm its easier.

you can also try naxxar which has good shops and cafes and and an old palazzo with cafe and superb gardens. its well located.
the area above st julians , Ibrag or upper swieqi-used to be called st andrews- (avoid lower)is an upmarket area and has lots of residential property and parts of it have good shops, doctors and cafes nearby.
St julians is noisy, hot and overcrowded. Lots of building work going on there and nost of Malta.

be aware many landlords in malta dislike pets and will say no pets, so ask about this. I would not allow your cat out on the street in malta (enclosed with mesh garden or balcony only) as there are many run over. Make sure you have modern aircon in all the rooms and a recent hot tank, Maltese landlords skimp on standards.

re your cat. you can fly it on air malta - they used to fly animals only on mondays from heathrow and you have to get there at 4 or 5am . you will be put in touch with cargo to book the air way bill. Passport is strapped to the carrier.
or you can use a pet transport company.

then you will have to meet your cat the other end, at the cargo dept. pets are offloaded into an office (with aircon as it can be 30c in september) and a goverment vet checks them visually.

a tip, get a petmate small vari kennel (which meets IATA standards) , suitable for cats, but use thin 5-6 inch ties - they just fit-in the two edges of the grill and the bottom right under the spring lock. a baggage handler at malta told me that when they arrive the carriers are put on a conveyor belt which shakes, so the front grill may come loose.
I presume you have done the microchip/ rabies 21 days have passed)and passport? Prior to flying you need a vet to certify fitness to fly in the passport.