Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Malta
Reload this Page >

Transfer to Malta: But Where?

Transfer to Malta: But Where?

Old Jun 7th 2019, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

fvbee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transfer to Malta: But Where?

I am a retired British citizen currently living under EU rules in Italy: actually in Siracusa, Sicily, just about 100 kilometres from Malta. I have two pensions that add up to a reasonable income. After Brexit I may lose my ability to live in Italy. One obvious possibility is to move to live in Malta, which has a very similar climate, reasonable income tax rates, and welcomes people bringing income into the state. I speak pretty good Italian as well as English. I am going to visit Malta this autumn, once the tourist frenzy reduces a bit. My immediate request for advice is: where might be the best place to live?

I like history, good food (a good local market for fresh fish, vegetables, fruit), eating out (normal local cuisine), good wine, the sea shore. I don't want to be in a totally modern, resort-filled place that caters mainly to tourists seeking sun, beaches and beer. I'm not anti-tourist (where I live now is full of tourists, but there are plenty of places where locals can hang out). Can members suggest locations that I should investigate, on Malta or Gozo? BTW, I don't currently have a driving licence but I know how to drive, so hope to get one quickly.
Old Jun 17th 2019, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

wisdomseeker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Transfer to Malta: But Where?

Hi fvbee, I am also researching Malta as home base right now. It seems to be the front runner for me (but that might change). Similar to you, I am keen on a location that is genuine instead of heavily touristed. I'm ok with expats, but really don't want to be in the party end of town.

I'm planning a trip later this year to learn more about the country but have been devouring everything online on the topic as well. I think Gozo is out of the question for me, though there are some good benefits to being there (basically the requirements are easier). I fly in/out a lot and just don't think I can deal with being so far from a major airport.

A friend lives in Kalkara and it sounds like a good fit for me. Close enough to all the action for when you need it but quiet enough to feel like it's a long way enough.

I found this guide helpful but remember it is just one person's point of view. If you have the luxury, do your research and book a trip. Try and spend a few days in each possible location. That's my plan anyway!!
Old Jun 18th 2019, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fvbee
I am a retired British citizen currently living under EU rules in Italy: actually in Siracusa, Sicily, just about 100 kilometres from Malta. I have two pensions that add up to a reasonable income. After Brexit I may lose my ability to live in Italy. One obvious possibility is to move to live in Malta, which has a very similar climate, reasonable income tax rates, and welcomes people bringing income into the state. I speak pretty good Italian as well as English. I am going to visit Malta this autumn, once the tourist frenzy reduces a bit. My immediate request for advice is: where might be the best place to live?

I like history, good food (a good local market for fresh fish, vegetables, fruit), eating out (normal local cuisine), good wine, the sea shore. I don't want to be in a totally modern, resort-filled place that caters mainly to tourists seeking sun, beaches and beer. I'm not anti-tourist (where I live now is full of tourists, but there are plenty of places where locals can hang out). Can members suggest locations that I should investigate, on Malta or Gozo? BTW, I don't currently have a driving licence but I know how to drive, so hope to get one quickly.
We had a good look at Malta 3 years ago as a base in Europe. My husband used to have a boat in Malta many years ago and he visited very frequently coming over from Tripoli.
We found Malta as well as Gozo being overrun by tourists from every corner of the world. Gozo was a bit more quiet but also catering for tourists. We used public transport to get about. Buses wwere often jam packed esp. coming back from a coastal town. We have never seen a market like you mention. We saw "fresh fish" frozen from Holland acc. to the packing being offloaded from a pick up at a restaurant right on the coast.
We got to know a retired British couple who have been living in Xlendi for 20 yrs. When the tourist season ends the little local grocery store closes. They get their supplies from a supermarket in Victoria. What we consider good food wasn't available in Malta/Gozo.
Don't expect to find a similar life to Italy. Malta is an EU member like Italy. I guess you will also find that free movement will come with strings after 31 Oct if Brexit happens.

Old Jul 4th 2019, 10:37 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

I have lots of friends from numerous countries living there and it's an interesting place, albeit very hot (and packed with tourists) during the summer months.

I think the big question is how close you would want to be to other expats, and possibly not being stuck somewhere with little going on once the tourism season is over. Too close/busy and you might feel it's not what you were hoping for... too far away from it all and you'll feel stranded.

The Sliema/St. Julians area is where everything happens (Valletta is mainly for gov't services and where thousands of cruise ship passengers get let out each day) and will be eventful throughout the year, though it will also be the most touristy part of the island. It's where a lot of working expats choose to live because most companies are based there. Terrible for traffic though as the main road is just one lane each way and everything often grinds to a standstill.

Pembroke is also nice and close by to the above, but when going by foot you would be passing through Paceville which is the loudest (party) area on the island (at night the music will be blaring from every club there).

Going the other way from Sliema is Ta Xbiex which is a nice area and still puts you close to the main parts. Also, on the other side of Valletta you have the "tri-cities" area such as Senglea, where you can always catch a little boat across to Valletta.

Another area that has a lot of tourists but of the different variety, older (as in not partying to loud music all night long), longer-stay and is great for expats is Bugibba. I would give that a look (as well as close-by areas like St Paul's Bay) because they will ensure that something is going on throughout the year, so it won't feel like a ghost town in the off-season. This would probably be my choice as there will be lots of UK nationals there throughout the year, everything would be walking distance, numerous buses operate in the area and there is also a "highway" linking Buggiba to Pembroke/St. Julians so traffic won't be an issue. Great for walking, lots of pubs, all the shops you need, and generally a nice place to be throughout the year.

Of course there are other areas if you fancy something off the beaten track with few expats.

As for markets the best one is the Marsaxlokk Sunday Market where you can pick up all sorts of fish, prawns, etc.
Old Jul 4th 2019, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

"As for markets the best one is the Marsaxlokk Sunday Market where you can pick up all sorts of fish, prawns, etc."

No matter which day we were there, there was a market selling all sorts of c...p no one needs but tourists.
Overall, we found cost in Malta very high considering quality.
Old Jul 4th 2019, 3:37 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

It's only worth going to that market on Sunday because as mentioned that's when there's plenty of fresh fish, other seafood, etc. On other days I wouldn't be surprised if it was just filled with stalls for tourist junk.