Reload this Page >

Tax in Malta on UK salary

Tax in Malta on UK salary

Old Jan 27th 2016, 12:29 am
Just Joined

Xiocanthl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax in Malta on UK salary

I am considering moving to Malta later this year

I have salary paid into a UK bank account and I will be working remotely from Malta. My questions is which has probably been asked many times, is would I be taxed on the income in both countries?

I have read varying reports on this

Thanks in Advance

Regards

Steve
Old Jan 27th 2016, 1:49 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax in Malta on UK salary

http://www.cc-advocates.com/immigrat...-residents.htm

UK based pay from a non-Maltese employer that pays it into a UK account, you will have normally been UK taxed & NIC contributions withheld in the UK.

If that is what you are doing, then you can move 'capital' from your UK bank to Malta tax free.

How you access money could be from any capital that you brought into Malta, or use your UK bank card to get the funds you need from the UK bank

If you earn the income in Malta, even if its paid into a UK account, then it would be classed as income earned in Malta & likewise you would pay local income tax rates on that income

https://ird.gov.mt/services/taxrates.aspx#2016

Last edited by not2old; Jan 27th 2016 at 1:56 pm. Reason: links added
Old Jan 28th 2016, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax in Malta on UK salary

You have not given sufficient information for your question to be answered fully. For example, we need to know if you will continue to be classed as a UK tax resident, and for how long you will be based in Malta.

In addition to what not2old has said, I would add that if you are tax resident in both countries, and therefore your salary is taxable both in the UK and Malta, you will be able to take advantage of the UK-Malta Double Tax Agreement, which will make sure you will not pay tax twice on the same income. For example, if HMRC assesses your tax due as 1000 and the Maltese IRD assesses it at 1200, you will pay 1000 to the UK and 200 to Malta. If the assessments are the other way round, you will pay the UK 1200 and Malta nothing.