Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Malta
Reload this Page >

Should I stay or go?

Should I stay or go?

Old Aug 5th 2014, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

Brian in Essex is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should I stay or go?

I am a recently divorced man of 59 years old and thinking of starting a new life.

I visited Malta twice last year and enjoyed my visits.

If anyone has the time, would you please let me have the pros and cons of moving to Malta.
Old Aug 6th 2014, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I stay or go?

Originally Posted by Brian in Essex
I am a recently divorced man of 59 years old and thinking of starting a new life.

I visited Malta twice last year and enjoyed my visits.

If anyone has the time, would you please let me have the pros and cons of moving to Malta.
Don't live in Malta, but I'm sure someone will reply. Visited and have a friend who lived there. Her views: Climate is obviously a plus, eating out isn't too expensive, taxes are low, everything is relatively close. Biggest question would be if you can imagine yourself living on an island permanently. Cons for many: Overpopulated, can get boring after a while, lack of choice when it comes to shopping, electricity costs. You can probably find a decent 1-2 bed apartment or smaller townhouse in the city for €500+, so not more expensive or cheaper than other places. It's just a lifestyle choice and for some it might work and for others it won't and depends on your budget.
Old Aug 6th 2014, 10:03 am
Just Joined

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Interesting point you made regarding overpopulation and living on an island. I think it may be wise to rent for a while and see how I get on.

Once again thank you.
Old Aug 6th 2014, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brian in Essex
Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Interesting point you made regarding overpopulation and living on an island. I think it may be wise to rent for a while and see how I get on.

Once again thank you.
No problem. I'm sure it can work for some. Personally I would prefer one of the Greek islands (like Corfu) compared to Malta, but then again health care is also a point. If Malta doesn't work for you, Spain is still a place to consider and has something to offer for everyone.
Old Aug 6th 2014, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Yes, healthcare was something I thought of; just my luck to need something attending to.

Just been looking at a long stay at the Qawra Palace Hotel; maybe that will enable me to make a decision.
Old Aug 6th 2014, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

With regards to healthcare, Malta has an agreement with the UK that enables UK citizens to get full health cover in Malta, and Maltese the same in the UK. That may sway your decision.

With regards to what Moses2013 said, i'd say all of those reasons are pluses to living in Malta. It is overpopulated, but its not that hard to get around. Try Gozo. Less overpopulated, there are lots of British people there, laid back lifestyle, etc. A good site for renting is www.franksalt.com.mt and www.belair.com.mt

Do take a visit to Gozo when you're on holiday in Malta, see what you think.

As for living on an island, i'd love living on an island, but that's just personal. Anything that's "too expensive" in Malta (read: laptops and most other technological things) i'd pick up whilst on vacation in Canada or elsewhere. If you need a little escape from island living, the UK is close, Italy, France, Germany, Turkey, you get my drift.
Old Aug 6th 2014, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

Thank you both for your comments, you have been really helpful
Old Aug 7th 2014, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

roger.rabat is a glorious beacon of lightroger.rabat is a glorious beacon of lightroger.rabat is a glorious beacon of lightroger.rabat is a glorious beacon of lightroger.rabat is a glorious beacon of lightroger.rabat is a glorious beacon of lightroger.rabat is a glorious beacon of lightroger.rabat is a glorious beacon of lightroger.rabat is a glorious beacon of lightroger.rabat is a glorious beacon of lightroger.rabat is a glorious beacon of light
Talking Re: Should I stay or go?

Hi Brian,
Please, please don't judge Malta from an extended stay at the Qawra Palace.
Generally, the cost of living is cheaper and electricity charges are now sorted providing you take advice.
Gozit is right; Gozo is the better option. If you come to Malta for an extended visit out of the main season then move around staying at guest houses as well as hotels. You could also view accommodation but leave the agent with the impression that you wish to move immediately.......otherwise they will lose interest. Whatever you decide the move will be a major change for you and there will be pluses and minuses. Look on it as an adventure. RR
Old Aug 7th 2014, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

Hi Roger,

Thank you for your comments; I am so pleased people are taking the time to respond.

I like your suggestion of moving around and staying at different places.

I will let you all know how I get on.

Thank you.