Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Malta
Reload this Page >

Potentially moving to Malta

Potentially moving to Malta

Old Jul 24th 2018, 4:01 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 7
RobPoole is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Potentially moving to Malta

Afternoon All,

My wife, son and i are thinking of moving to Malta, i have been visiting Malta for over 30 years as i have family that live there. I love the place and have introduced my wife and son who are both equally hooked. My son is 13 years old and is a little shady about wanting to move, one minute he does then the next he doesn't, i think its to do with not having any friends over there. I would probably send him to a private school should we make the move before he finishes so if anyone knows of any decent (but relatively affordable) school i would appreciate the heads up. I currently work as a Facilities & Property Manager in the UK and wanted to know if this type of profession is attainable in Malta? As i said before i do have family that are Maltese (i am not) that have their ears to the ground but was hoping someone on here might be able to help. Also is it possible to get a mortgage as soon as you move to Malta? How does the mortgage system all work? I know that renting is very expensive but also understand that we would potentially be able to save on things that we would not need to pay for like we do in the UK.

If anyone could help that would be great, also would be nice to meet some people that are already living in Malta as we come over every year for a holiday so could probably meet up for a coffee.

Thanks in advance.
RobPoole is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2018, 9:26 am
  #2  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 7
RobPoole is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Potentially moving to Malta

I'm guessing there is no one on here wanting to talk anymore then?
RobPoole is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2018, 10:05 am
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,410
Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potentially moving to Malta

Originally Posted by RobPoole View Post
I'm guessing there is no one on here wanting to talk anymore then?
Maybe somebody will come along, but I don't think you'll find many here who move to Malta with kids. Most are probably retired and others just stay for a short while.
Have a work colleague who just returned from Malta and she was working for one of the gaming companies. She didn't stay long due to the usual issues. Overcrowded, after a while the island felt too small and wages just didn't match cost of living (housing situation). As you have family there, they will probably know best and can also help, as it's always easier with good connections.
Moses2013 is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2018, 1:58 pm
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Tweedpipe's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Halfway between Ricard & Absynthe
Posts: 3,843
Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potentially moving to Malta

Originally Posted by RobPoole View Post
Afternoon All,

My wife, son and i are thinking of moving to Malta, i have been visiting Malta for over 30 years as i have family that live there. I love the place and have introduced my wife and son who are both equally hooked. My son is 13 years old and is a little shady about wanting to move, one minute he does then the next he doesn't, i think its to do with not having any friends over there. I would probably send him to a private school should we make the move before he finishes so if anyone knows of any decent (but relatively affordable) school i would appreciate the heads up. I currently work as a Facilities & Property Manager in the UK and wanted to know if this type of profession is attainable in Malta? As i said before i do have family that are Maltese (i am not) that have their ears to the ground but was hoping someone on here might be able to help. Also is it possible to get a mortgage as soon as you move to Malta? How does the mortgage system all work? I know that renting is very expensive but also understand that we would potentially be able to save on things that we would not need to pay for like we do in the UK.

If anyone could help that would be great, also would be nice to meet some people that are already living in Malta as we come over every year for a holiday so could probably meet up for a coffee.

Thanks in advance.
Afraid I can't offer advise on schools or job prospects in your professional line, or morgages. However I do know Malta a little, having holiday'd there and also visited on business.
My personal take on the island is it's interesting to visit, and it's true to say that one normally gets a completely different aspect of a place when on vacation, completely relaxed and generally without a care in the world. My last visit was 12 years ago, beginning of May and even then at that period it seemed overcrowded. Not sure what it's like now but I can guess, and no way could I live there for that reason. But each to one's own as they say.
I've moved around the world a number of times, and on one particular 2 year posting found myself settled in an idyllic bay area in Hong Kong New Teritories, also fairly crowded at weekends. We both fell in love with the place, for a few months. Then the novelty began to wear off, and together with my wife we agreed that it wasn't for us, so we moved after 4 months to a less picturesque, quieter area, which although still not entirely to our liking we tolerated, plus it was closer to my workplace.
Winters too can be a bit of a shock when resident around the world, as most folks become familiar with a holiday location only in the peak seasons when heating etc is not required.
Hope this may provide a little food for thought.
Tweedpipe is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2018, 2:15 pm
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,410
Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potentially moving to Malta

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe View Post
Afraid I can't offer advise on schools or job prospects in your professional line, or morgages. However I do know Malta a little, having holiday'd there and also visited on business.
My personal take on the island is it's interesting to visit, and it's true to say that one normally gets a completely different aspect of a place when on vacation, completely relaxed and generally without a care in the world. My last visit was 12 years ago, beginning of May and even then at that period it seemed overcrowded. Not sure what it's like now but I can guess, and no way could I live there for that reason. But each to one's own as they say.
I've moved around the world a number of times, and on one particular 2 year posting found myself settled in an idyllic bay area in Hong Kong New Teritories, also fairly crowded at weekends. We both fell in love with the place, for a few months. Then the novelty began to wear off, and together with my wife we agreed that it wasn't for us, so we moved after 4 months to a less picturesque, quieter area, which although still not entirely to our liking we tolerated, plus it was closer to my workplace.
Winters too can be a bit of a shock when resident around the world, as most folks become familiar with a holiday location only in the peak seasons when heating etc is not required.
Hope this may provide a little food for thought.
Good points. This is an interesting read and kind of sums up what I've recently heard. Can’t see the future for the dust - The Malta Independent
And another one https://www.timesofmalta.com/article...rinelli.677087
I don't have kids, but it would scare me:
In 2012, urban areas and agricultural land covered 60 per cent of the surface area of the Maltese islands. Agricultural land is managed and engineered by humans and contaminated with fertiliser, pesticides and copper. The other 40 per cent is what we might tentatively call natural land. In the 20 years from 1995 to 2015, as many as 12,500 development permits were granted in natural and agricultural areas. This means we do not really have any pristine natural land left anywhere in the Maltese islands and no ecosystem to speak of. This was six years ago – things are much worse today.
In 2016, Malta’s population stood at 440,000, of which 30,000 were foreigners. If we add the average 41,000 tourists in Malta every day in 2016, this gives us 481,000, or 1,522 people per square kilometre. Let us fast forward to 2030. The gainfully employed popu­lation in Malta in 2016 was 223,000. If we are to double our national output we will need to more or less double our workforce, so that is, say, another 200,000. By that time, the average daily number of tourists in Malta would be 205,000. If we assume that the number of Maltese people would remain stable at 410,000, the total number of people in Malta on a daily basis in 2030 would be 845,000, or 2,674 people per square kilometre, and less than half of these would be Maltese.

The negative consequences of a national strategy based on growth will be staggering. Air, sea, sound and light pollution will make this country unliveable. The demand for fresh water, sewage treatment, electricity and housing would be far, far greater than one we can meet. Prices will continue to rocket. Malta would be completely built up, with literally no countryside or wildlife. The waste, litter and plastics problem we think we have now will be insignificant in comparison to our situation in 2030. Our agricultural industry will be history

Last edited by Moses2013; Jul 26th 2018 at 2:45 pm.
Moses2013 is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2018, 11:49 am
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 7
RobPoole is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Potentially moving to Malta

Many thanks for your input it is appreciated.
RobPoole is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2018, 11:52 am
  #7  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 7
RobPoole is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Potentially moving to Malta

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe View Post
Afraid I can't offer advise on schools or job prospects in your professional line, or morgages. However I do know Malta a little, having holiday'd there and also visited on business.
My personal take on the island is it's interesting to visit, and it's true to say that one normally gets a completely different aspect of a place when on vacation, completely relaxed and generally without a care in the world. My last visit was 12 years ago, beginning of May and even then at that period it seemed overcrowded. Not sure what it's like now but I can guess, and no way could I live there for that reason. But each to one's own as they say.
I've moved around the world a number of times, and on one particular 2 year posting found myself settled in an idyllic bay area in Hong Kong New Teritories, also fairly crowded at weekends. We both fell in love with the place, for a few months. Then the novelty began to wear off, and together with my wife we agreed that it wasn't for us, so we moved after 4 months to a less picturesque, quieter area, which although still not entirely to our liking we tolerated, plus it was closer to my workplace.
Winters too can be a bit of a shock when resident around the world, as most folks become familiar with a holiday location only in the peak seasons when heating etc is not required.
Hope this may provide a little food for thought.
thank you for your reply its appreciated.
RobPoole is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2018, 11:53 am
  #8  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 7
RobPoole is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Potentially moving to Malta

Originally Posted by Moses2013 View Post
Good points. This is an interesting read and kind of sums up what I've recently heard. Can’t see the future for the dust - The Malta Independent
And another one https://www.timesofmalta.com/article...rinelli.677087
I don't have kids, but it would scare me:
In 2012, urban areas and agricultural land covered 60 per cent of the surface area of the Maltese islands. Agricultural land is managed and engineered by humans and contaminated with fertiliser, pesticides and copper. The other 40 per cent is what we might tentatively call natural land. In the 20 years from 1995 to 2015, as many as 12,500 development permits were granted in natural and agricultural areas. This means we do not really have any pristine natural land left anywhere in the Maltese islands and no ecosystem to speak of. This was six years ago – things are much worse today.
In 2016, Malta’s population stood at 440,000, of which 30,000 were foreigners. If we add the average 41,000 tourists in Malta every day in 2016, this gives us 481,000, or 1,522 people per square kilometre. Let us fast forward to 2030. The gainfully employed popu­lation in Malta in 2016 was 223,000. If we are to double our national output we will need to more or less double our workforce, so that is, say, another 200,000. By that time, the average daily number of tourists in Malta would be 205,000. If we assume that the number of Maltese people would remain stable at 410,000, the total number of people in Malta on a daily basis in 2030 would be 845,000, or 2,674 people per square kilometre, and less than half of these would be Maltese.

The negative consequences of a national strategy based on growth will be staggering. Air, sea, sound and light pollution will make this country unliveable. The demand for fresh water, sewage treatment, electricity and housing would be far, far greater than one we can meet. Prices will continue to rocket. Malta would be completely built up, with literally no countryside or wildlife. The waste, litter and plastics problem we think we have now will be insignificant in comparison to our situation in 2030. Our agricultural industry will be history
this is very interesting and also quite concerning.
RobPoole is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2018, 3:10 pm
  #9  
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Hérault (34)
Posts: 7,952
dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potentially moving to Malta

HI, if you still have the idea of moving to France, post again in the main France Forum, but please take on board my reply as to your 13-year-old's education, integration, making friends, etc.. I'm no psychologist, but an adolescent needs good friends (or family) to confide in at the best of times and, if in a foreign country where he can't communicate with his new class-mates, he risks being unhappy without your realising (parents are always the last to know of any problems). If he's shady about Malta where he has family and where most people speak English, how does he feel about coming to France? Even if he already speaks French, does he know what to expect on the Schooling front, which is different from the UK?
dmu is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2018, 3:46 pm
  #10  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 7
RobPoole is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Potentially moving to Malta

Originally Posted by dmu View Post
HI, if you still have the idea of moving to France, post again in the main France Forum, but please take on board my reply as to your 13-year-old's education, integration, making friends, etc.. I'm no psychologist, but an adolescent needs good friends (or family) to confide in at the best of times and, if in a foreign country where he can't communicate with his new class-mates, he risks being unhappy without your realising (parents are always the last to know of any problems). If he's shady about Malta where he has family and where most people speak English, how does he feel about coming to France? Even if he already speaks French, does he know what to expect on the Schooling front, which is different from the UK?
many thanks for your reply, unfortunately I didn’t realise I was posting in the France section and it was in fact meant for the Malta thread. Apologies for the misunderstanding and again many thanks for your efforts.
RobPoole is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.