Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Malta
Reload this Page >

Naturalisation process for EU citizens in Malta

Naturalisation process for EU citizens in Malta

Old May 19th 2019, 5:15 am
Just Joined

joel123 has a reputation beyond reputejoel123 has a reputation beyond reputejoel123 has a reputation beyond reputejoel123 has a reputation beyond reputejoel123 has a reputation beyond reputejoel123 has a reputation beyond reputejoel123 has a reputation beyond reputejoel123 has a reputation beyond reputejoel123 has a reputation beyond reputejoel123 has a reputation beyond reputejoel123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Naturalisation process for EU citizens in Malta

Dear forum members,
I would greatly appreciate if you please share your recent experience on becoming a naturalised citizen of Malta.

Given that Brexit is happening in the UK, many British citizens currently living in Malta for long term would like to consider to be naturalised as Maltese citizen in order to keep their EU rights after Brexit.

Theoretically, as far as I am aware, an EU citizen can apply for naturalisation after living in the island for 5 years. However, in practice, do they actually turn applications down with excuses or keep them in limbo for indefinite periods? Is it practically impossible to naturalise without paying hefty amounts under some of those ‘cash for passport’ schemes?

Many thanks for your time.
Old May 20th 2019, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Naturalisation process for EU citizens in Malta

Originally Posted by joel123 View Post
Dear forum members,
I would greatly appreciate if you please share your recent experience on becoming a naturalised citizen of Malta.

Given that Brexit is happening in the UK, many British citizens currently living in Malta for long term would like to consider to be naturalised as Maltese citizen in order to keep their EU rights after Brexit.

Theoretically, as far as I am aware, an EU citizen can apply for naturalisation after living in the island for 5 years. However, in practice, do they actually turn applications down with excuses or keep them in limbo for indefinite periods? Is it practically impossible to naturalise without paying hefty amounts under some of those ‘cash for passport’ schemes?

Many thanks for your time.
Maltese citizenship has a strong element of 'Jus sanguinis' i.e bloodline. So you need a Maltese ancestor. Alternatively marriage to a Maltese citizen or to be a stateless refugee in order to naturalise. See official government link. https://identitymalta.com/acquisitio...aturalisation/

Even within the EU, countries can set their own requirements for citizenship. I know of one non EU person who has acquired Maltese Citizenship by naturalisation but it took them 10 years ( lived in Malta for 20) and they had a profession that was of service to the Island and the Maltese. There are other historic options. See wiki link for overview, though I cannot say if it is accurate. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maltese_nationality_law

This information and link below is from a well known legal team.

https://www.ccmalta.com/publications...alisationMalta
Citizenship by naturalisation, also referred to as citizenship by registration is often granted to persons with Maltese descent. However, this may also be granted on a humanitarian basis, as well as to persons who “have rendered exceptional services to the Republic of Malta or to humanity”

I would not be unduly concerned about Britons status post Brexit as the Government is going to issue 10 year work permits to newly arrived Britons which can be renewed and anyone living legally in Malta already will continue as normal with 10 year renewable status.

Malta are keen to maintain close ties with the UK as many of their doctors and dentists go there for training and the reciprocal health agreement ( which pre dates the EU) is of benefit to the Maltese. In addition Malta is a Commonwealth country and of course English is the other official language. In addiont UK pensioners contribute a good sum to hte economy under taxation agreements. .

see this official link https://www.gov.mt/en/Pages/FACTSHEE...al-Brexit.aspx

Old May 20th 2019, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

An yes the exceptino is the invesment scheme for acquiring Maltese nationality. It is limited in numbers.
Old May 20th 2019, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

This is the link on the registration page about marriage to a Maltese citizen -
https://identitymalta.com/acquisitio...-registration/
Old May 25th 2019, 5:40 am
Just Joined

joel123 has a reputation beyond reputejoel123 has a reputation beyond reputejoel123 has a reputation beyond reputejoel123 has a reputation beyond reputejoel123 has a reputation beyond reputejoel123 has a reputation beyond reputejoel123 has a reputation beyond reputejoel123 has a reputation beyond reputejoel123 has a reputation beyond reputejoel123 has a reputation beyond reputejoel123 has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for all the reply.