Reload this Page >

Relocating to Malta from UK

Relocating to Malta from UK

Old Jan 18th 2017, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

Big_bee7943 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocating to Malta from UK

Hello,

Enquiring about relocation to Malta. It would be myself and my nine year old daughter, and I would like all the advice possible with reference to how to go about it, jobs/schools and long term lets.
I used to live in Birzebuggia/Luqa when I was young (when the RAF were here and before Dom Mintoff kicked us out) Fond memories of Kalafrana beach club and St Peters pool, blue grotto, cheesy pasties, twistees, and lovely bread/halva. I know Kalafrana was many moons ago.
I need a place to which I can live a better life and more outdoors with the better climate for myself and my daughter, and at a slower pace hopefully.
Please let me know if myself(49) and my daughter would be 'ok' to go it alone, it is safer than the UK after all!

Thank you in advance

Sam
Old Jan 19th 2017, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating to Malta from UK

Originally Posted by Big_bee7943
Hello,

Enquiring about relocation to Malta. It would be myself and my nine year old daughter, and I would like all the advice possible with reference to how to go about it, jobs/schools and long term lets.
I used to live in Birzebuggia/Luqa when I was young (when the RAF were here and before Dom Mintoff kicked us out) Fond memories of Kalafrana beach club and St Peters pool, blue grotto, cheesy pasties, twistees, and lovely bread/halva. I know Kalafrana was many moons ago.
I need a place to which I can live a better life and more outdoors with the better climate for myself and my daughter, and at a slower pace hopefully.
Please let me know if myself(49) and my daughter would be 'ok' to go it alone, it is safer than the UK after all!

Thank you in advance

Sam
Hello.
Jobs are not that plentiful - a small island with over 400000 people-
( smaller than the isle of wight) and low wages.

however in IT. computing / gaming and financial services there is much more possibility.
Currently a bad winter, freezing damp properties( no central heating) so bear that in mind.

Since those days you were here Malta has changed. Though in the villages and smaller places they carry on the traditions and that relaxed lifestyle is still available if you know where to look. They are very kind to children. Luqa has expanded of course. It is still quite safe although not as much as in the past and some areas need to be avoided.

There are many more expats and EU people working here due to it being a good tax base for companies. Also in some areas migrants from Africa who arrived by boat after Malta joined the EU.
Rentals have gone up a lot on the North side in the last four years. Something on ( say a 2/3 bed) at 600 pcm is now 900pcm and plus depending on standard of fittings.
On the plus side electricity costs have reduced substantially due to a new gas power station.

The estate agent websites are out of date and show properties they had on years ago- so best to ring a couple and get local prices. Frank Salt or Dahlia or Perry.

UK citizens are entitled to Health Care due to a reciprocal agreement which predates the EU rights. Health care is generally good. Also schooling is free and there are private schools.

One aspect to consider, if you came here to exercise treaty rights, ( working/ self sufficient etc) you would not have 5 years to acquire permanent residency before UK leaves the EU. There is no firm information about what will happen, although the PM said ' we won' t be kicking anyone out'. However in Malta they do what they want when they want!

I would strongly advise a short trip over to get an idea of the areas you used to live in and others, see some flats etc. I think maltadirect com does some good all in packages at low cost especially in the low season.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

Hi Angie,
Thank you lots for replying and for the helpful information. I know that there are 'pros' and 'cons' of everything. Im looking to come over around Easter time, and will try and enquire at some estate agents, looking at St Pauls Bay/Qwara.

Regards

Sam
Old Jan 19th 2017, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big_bee7943
Hi Angie,
Thank you lots for replying and for the helpful information. I know that there are 'pros' and 'cons' of everything. Im looking to come over around Easter time, and will try and enquire at some estate agents, looking at St Pauls Bay/Qwara.

Regards

Sam
That is a good plan. lots of brits in those areas to talk to in pubs/cafes and so find out more about what is going on locally.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

To add to the above, if you are looking for the slower pace of life, consider Gozo... You may find it very similar to what you remember growing up.

Also make sure you have the appropriate letters from your child's father or the courts to allow her to be relocated outside the UK. Unless you have full custody and no contact with her father you can't simply take her out of the country.
Old Jan 24th 2017, 8:04 am
Just Joined

Hi Gozit,

Thank you for your info. I would like a slower pace of life, as currently its stress/rushing about and groundhog day most of the time, I am gratefull that I have a job and my health though, do not want to sound all misery.
I did go to Gozo when I was living over in Luqa/Birzebuggia area, but as I mentioned it was many years ago and I have been told by people that have visited that it has greatly changed and not the same. I think change comes to everywhere though.
As for Gozo, I have a 9 year old child and I would embrace the slower pace, but would need schools/job?/accommodation/and any expats living there so company for my daughter.
Thank you also for the info about letters to do with my daughter coming with me. She or myself have not seen 'him' since the month I got pregnant, he went back to his wife!! He is not on the birth certificate and carries my surname, the only contact I have with him is via child maintenance services, well they have the contact. Would this be custody in the eyes of the law, maybe? I don't or have never needed to get any legal documentation. As far as im aware he is not interested. Boom!! He is current British Armed Forces and I am ex, having left in 2011.
Is it cheaper overall in Gozo, as in rental accommodation etc? I only suggested St Pawls or Mellehia as maybe more expats or people who may have kids etc.
Another thing - how do you think Brexit will affect the current expats and any moving or thinking about moving? It is maybe an uncertain time for some.

Any info be greatly appreciated

Regards

Sam
Old Jan 24th 2017, 8:07 am
Just Joined

Hi again Gozit,
I meant she carries my surname not his, as he isn't on the birth certificate only myself.

Regards

Sam