British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malta (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malta-168/)
-   -   Moving to Malta From UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malta-168/moving-malta-uk-907543/)

Michael1973 Jan 5th 2018 12:24 pm

Moving to Malta From UK

Hi there few quick questions please...

Myself and newly married wife are from the uk and have 3 older children but looking to move to Malta for three months to see if there is a better quality of life. I keep reading about various negative aspects of living there. Any advice or tips and genuine comments would look to seek work immediately

Tweedpipe Jan 5th 2018 8:25 pm

Re: Moving to Malta From UK

Hi, I've just looked in from the France forum which I do occasionally. The responses here from resident expats in Malta don't appear too frequent - which may be a good thing if they're too busy enjoying themselves. But I doubt if they're on the beach this weather.......
Perhaps if you gave an indication of what line of work you are in and will be seeking, it may help those in the know to advise if there is a high demand for any specialities you may have, or otherwise.
Be advised that in my experience jobs are generally difficult to come by in Europe unless one has a particularly sought-after speciality. How well do you know Malta, and why that choice? That info too could assist for a meaningful response.
Good luck.

DaveLovesDee Jan 5th 2018 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by Michael1973 (Post 12411633)
Hi there few quick questions please...

Myself and newly married wife are from the uk and have 3 older children but looking to move to Malta for three months to see if there is a better quality of life. I keep reading about various negative aspects of living there. Any advice or tips and genuine comments would look to seek work immediately

I lived and worked in Malta in 2014 with my wife. Most of the locals speak good English, jobs in the tourist areas begin to open up from April with the busy season being from July to September. Tourist areas to consider are Bugibba, Qawra (silent Q) and St Julians. Ozosystems was one of the more reputable employment agencies for the tourist industry when I was there.

When looking for somewhere to stay, you'll need a rental contract if you're staying more than 3 months to be able to apply for a Maltese Residence Card. Some employers will also want proof of Maltese address, and a Police Conduct Certificate (which you get from Floriana Police Station at a cost of €2.80 and showing your passport).

You'll find it difficult to open a Maltese bank account for a while, but many jobs pay by cheque which you take to any branch of the issuing bank and they cash it straight away.

Hope this helps.

Michael1973 Jan 5th 2018 10:10 pm

Hi and thank you I find all this info really helpful it’s a beautiful country with lots of prospects for the right people I’m an business man with an eye for potential business and see it all over Malta, my concerns are if we have to rely on any benefits as we setting up and becoming residence

DaveLovesDee Jan 5th 2018 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by Michael1973 (Post 12412076)
Hi and thank you I find all this info really helpful it’s a beautiful country with lots of prospects for the right people I’m an business man with an eye for potential business and see it all over Malta, my concerns are if we have to rely on any benefits as we setting up and becoming residence

You probably won't qualify for benefits, and if you're setting up a business you'll need to meet the income requirement for self-sufficency for residence purposes.

Malta Enterprise may be a good place to start.