British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malta (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malta-168/)
-   -   Moving to malta (in disabled) need advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malta-168/moving-malta-disabled-need-advice-916476/)

SMOKEYno1 Aug 24th 2018 8:37 pm

Moving to malta (in disabled) need advice

Hi.. I'm posting because me and my partner Jack (soon to be married) want to move to Malta. I can't work I currently claim benefits in the UK..
​​​​​​They are ..
Employment support allowance
Dla soon to be pip
Council tax allowance
Housing benefit for my home
​​​
I have mobility issues and also spinal problems/disabilities

My partner wants to work over there he has family there too.
How would we be able to live there
Would we be able to claim benefits there or do we have to claim from the EU..
He's been offered a few jobs whilst on holiday but told them he had to speak to me first..

I just wanna know what channels we have to go through to able to live in Malta full time.

I'm also applying for my passport next week
Need advice so we know what to do.

mikelincs Aug 24th 2018 9:28 pm

Re: Moving to malta (in disabled) need advice

Originally Posted by SMOKEYno1 (Post 12554000)
Hi.. I'm posting because me and my partner Jack (soon to be married) want to move to Malta. I can't work I currently claim benefits in the UK..
​​​​​​They are ..
Dla soon to be pip
Council tax allowance
​​​

He's been offered a few jobs whilst on holiday but told them he had to speak to me first..

I just wanna know what channels we have to go through to able to live in Malta full time.

Welcome to BE.

Sorry to have to be the bearer of bad news, but your UK benefits will stop once you move to Malta, some part of the DLA MIGHT remain but with Brexit coming it's likely that even that will stop. Not sure on what benefits might be claimable from Malta. Currently, if you are UK citizens all you need to do is to go, not too sure what you will have to do once there though but I'm sure someone will be along with the full information.

Tweedpipe Aug 26th 2018 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by SMOKEYno1 (Post 12554000)
​​​​​​They are ..
Dla soon to be pip
Council tax allowance
​​​

Surely your partner's plan to move to and live full-time in Malta is fraught with problems, especially working there, with Brexit issues lurking round the corner. The general comment, "he's been offered a few jobs whilst on holiday", sounds particularly precarious.
And with nobody I know having a 100% reliable crystal ball, the numerous questions related to Brexit that immediately spring to mind are currently impossible to answer. Until further notice, the best piece of advise I can give is that new and recent expats do everything possible to demonstrate settled status in their EU country of choice.

dmu Aug 26th 2018 4:27 pm

Hi, you've probably found this link already:
https://www.gov.mt/en/Services-And-I...dence_Card.pdf
according to which, to apply for a Registration Certificate (and make sure you do it while the UK is still in the EU), your future husband must submit an Employment Licence (work contract?), various documents if he's registered as self-employed, or proof of financial resources and of sickness insurance. As hinted by TP, the "few jobs" offered must be legal. If you yourself depend on benefits in the UK which apparently are unlikely to follow you, make sure that his income will be sufficient for you both. You should also research medical care for yourself.
If he already has family in Malta, they could research these questions on the spot....
Good luck with your decision!:)